SASS Wire Forum

.38spl DEWCs in a .357 Uberti Cattleman Model P

Val Cano

Do I have to worry about shooting those really short double-ended wadcutter bullets in my Model P revolvers? I loaded up a few hundred mild .38 spl DEWCs for my S&W Model 586 but sold the gun. I alway shot .38spl bullets in my .357 Model Ps anyway but the cowboy loads naturally have have significantly longer OAL than the DEWCs.

OAL doeesn't make much difference in a revolver. OAL is important with your rifle loads. The DEWC's are fine as long as they aren't recessed into the case, i.e., a little lead has to be showing in front of the case month.

Thanks guys. The bullet extends slightly more than 1/64" past the case. I hope that's enough.

.....One caveat - If you've handloaded these and are using other data and powder charges, watch your pressure. The same powder charge for the RN bullets tend to increase due to the way the wadcutter is seated. You said you're using DEWC'S - OK - but if you ever use HBWC'S for a substitute you can blow out the bullet-skirt if you use the same charge. At the very least, this may cause a "ring" in the barrel.

FWIW, Doc

Doc: These rounds would only used for punching paper as the bullets are 148gr Ranier DEWCs. They are loaded with 3.0 grains of W231. My cowboy loads are 3.3 grains. I got the load from one of my reloading books - can't remember which. Thanks for the input.

... The DEWC's are fine as long as they aren't recessed into the case, i.e., a little lead has to be showing in front of the case month.

They Work fine, loaded to Project slightly from the case...

Thanks guys. The bullet extends slightly more than 1/64" past the case. I hope that's enough.

• Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is disallowed.
SHB p.11

Archived