SASS Wire Forum

thinking in my head...I know- scary- which 2 of 3 revolvers

Llama Ron

okey dokey....here's what I got, and here's what I'm thinkin-

got a pair of Uberti Cattleman 4 3/4" matching set.

got a Cimarron Thunderer, birdhead grip, 3.5".

option 1- Uberti in right(strong) side holster, Cimarron in crossdraw holster

option 2- both Ubertis, Uberti's? Uberties? Uberti? anyway..both pistols 'strong' side; one left, one right.

oprion 3- one Uberti strong side, one Uberti crossdraw.

I like option 1. the most in my head. Having the smaller gun crossdraw with the larger strongside seems 'natural' to me. I guess wearing a gunbelt everyday at work for ten hours a day for 15 years has something to do with it. I had the full size pistol strong side and a Tazer crossdraw. B)

Option 2 I like the least...seems too 'T.V.' Cowboy to me, I guess, but I know it works for lots of folks.

Option 3 is doable, too...but then I just go back to option 1 again.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....okay, my head feels lighter now after getting that out!

All your options are viable, suit yourself. Try 'em all and see which "feels" and works best.

One thing: it's TASER not TAZER. Stands for Thomas A. Swift Electric Rifle.

...but less fun to say.

I shoot usually FC/Wrangler and occasionally FCD. I carry my guns strong side/weak side when shooting FC or Wrangler.

When shooting FCD, I carry my second gun (also a Uberti Thunderer 3.5") in a cross-draw FCD. This reminds me to shoot the pistols one-handed duelists style.

I like both the one-handed and two-handed styles and simply switch as I am motivated. I use my leather to keep from getting a shoot-out-of-category penalty when shooting FCD.

Might seem strange at first, but think about putting the longer barreled Uberti in the crossdraw holster rather than the strong side.

It seems that the longer barrel length is easier and fastwr for me in drawing quickly in cross draw than in a strong side holster where you have to bring the longer barrel all the way clear UP before moving forward to target.

On most stages, if you shoot the cross draw first, you can also holster it with the off hand while you go for the strong side with your strong hand - save za few milliseconds, or more. Some stage setups may dictate faster the other way, depending on your proficiency.

Try it many times at home (dry fire) to see which seems fastest (or better yet, time it) and perhaps, most important, the most comfortable. YMMV.

Harvey :)

Archived