SASS Wire Forum

Does .38 Special make you a gamer?

Ben Cartwright #84097

When was the last time you were at a match and watched as a shooter slowly and casually strolled over to the shotgun to complete a stage? Im betting you havent...dont we all run/walk really fast??! Does moving quick make us all "gamers"? Does positioning my rifle "just-so" for ease in picking it up make me a "gamer"?

Heck yea it does! And thats OK...why?...Because THIS IS A GAME! There should be no negative connotation associated with the word "gamer"!

Shoot your .38's and become a Champion. B)

Welcome!

Misty

Right on!!! You go girl!!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's saying that the shooter is laughing.

I walk from one shooting position to the next, well, more of a slow mosey really. Others sprint. As long as they don't piss on my parade I won't piss on theirs.

Howdy:

A gamer is easily recognized. He/she wears the shotgun belt 6 inches above the navel and has the shells sticking out from the body at about 90 degrees. They shoot 38 Short Colt with 60 gr projectiles (they have any number of disabilities which preclude them from shooting a "normal load" such as halitosis, dandruff, ear wax, whatever. And most importantly, they MUST win (remember the kid that used to flip the checkerboard when he was losing? Or the twit that stormed out of the room cause they lost at Monopoly? Well, they grew in size to adults and are gamers in SASS.

The regular folks who like to go out and meet folks, talk and shoot, well, they are just a bunch of "losers" to the gamer. :angry:

Winning is nice, but there are other things in the game that make it fun, JYHO - YOMV.

STL Suomi

Please let us know your schedule of shooting for 2012 as you do not sound like a nice cowboy to shoot with and most of us want to avoid folks with your attitude. Everything you say is a bunch of BS, illegal and you know it. :angry:

Howdy:

Oh my GCK, it seems that you just cannot focus. This thread is NOT about liking me or obtaining my schedule, it was about gamers and 38s.

Well, since you brought those subjects up, let me say that I read the rule book and found that it says nothing about my reporting to anyone (yup, not even you) nor does it mention that I must please you or for that fact, anyone.

I actually considers your request to be rather boring and quite frankly arrogant, and conceited. Whatever came into your mind to assume that I would report to you. I am now and all of my ancestors were free men and I report to my Lord alone. And why would you assume that I could or would care if you like me or not. You thoughts on me are of absolutely no import at all. I have no idea what piqued you; perhaps it was the mentioning of little ninnies flipping checkerboards, or stomping out of the room after losing at Monopoly. Did those images bring back painful memories of past actions on your part?

Or maybe it was the image of individuals claiming lame medical excuses so that they might down load their cartridges to the point of no longer going Bang/clang, or Pow/clunk, but rather pffft/ting! Again, if I touched a sensitive issue with you, I most certainly apologize. I had no idea that you might claim these absurd diseases for your action or even that you have performed these actions.

Oh, I can speak with some degree of authority on disabilities. Specifically, the maladies are that I suffer neuropathy (look the word up) in my hands and feet, arthritis in my hands to the point that on some days I cannot use a knife or fork, my back is a solid stick from various injuries and arthritis and I am losing my optic nerve in my right eye thanks to diabetes. These blessing are from my Lord and they are not more nor less than many others my age.

However, I can and do shoot all pistols in the 40 range (and 357). And I use standard cowboy loads. I guess some folks have greater tolerance to discomfort than other. I can appreciate that and can empathize. I do not have much empathy for malingers - perhaps that showed in my previous statements and that cranked you. I apologize if that is the case. Feel free to malinger.

Certainly I am aware that the violations I mentioned are illegal. I merely listed some, just some, of the violations I have witnessed. I could list more if you want. I said nothing to those who had these violations as it would serve no useful purpose. Teaching pigs to sing is not a rewarding effort, now is it? It would only irritate the individuals and create animosity. I am guilty of looking the other way since these items in no way endangered anyone. I suppose they would have driven you to a white hot state. Too bad, so sad. As I stated, I came to shoot and I do.

Let me pass on to you some extremely valid advice I received on the second or third day at the Jesuit University from which I received my undergraduate degree. The kind fathers told me I have three choices; 1) agree with what they had to say (not too likely in some areas), 2) tolerate what they had to say (OK that might be possible), or 3) get the 77Ey out of the class room. Since I am of a different faith, I could not comply entirely with option 1, option 2 was certainly possible, option 3 was one I wanted but could not afford since they were paying my way thru school.

Well, you have those same three options, agree with me (probably not), tolerate me (probably not) or option three get out of my life (certainly within your power to control). So, when you see my name on a post, move along, don't read it, there is nothing there for you, I know I shall do that when I spy your name on a post since I have no desire to listen to the sound of a flushing toilet or read comments of an arrogant egotistical twit.

Another thing the kind fathers taught me was to always end on a positive note. I pray that your day is filled with the Oder of roses, your mouth, the taste of honey and that you hear the sweet song of birds in your ears. That you might see beautiful ladies and happy children at play. I am commanded to love you (not like you) as you are my brother. So, have an absolutely wonderful day, enjoy the sun and the fresh air and think kind and generous thoughts.

STL Suomi

Howdy:

Oh my GCK, it seems that you just cannot focus. This thread is NOT about liking me or obtaining my schedule, it was about gamers and 38s.

Well, since you brought those subjects up, let me say that I read the rule book and found that it says nothing about my reporting to anyone (yup, not even you) nor does it mention that I must please you or for that fact, anyone.

I actually considers your request to be rather boring and quite frankly arrogant, and conceited. Whatever came into your mind to assume that I would report to you. I am now and all of my ancestors were free men and I report to my Lord alone. And why would you assume that I could or would care if you like me or not. You thoughts on me are of absolutely no import at all. I have no idea what piqued you; perhaps it was the mentioning of little ninnies flipping checkerboards, or stomping out of the room after losing at Monopoly. Did those images bring back painful memories of past actions on your part?

Or maybe it was the image of individuals claiming lame medical excuses so that they might down load their cartridges to the point of no longer going Bang/clang, or Pow/clunk, but rather pffft/ting! Again, if I touched a sensitive issue with you, I most certainly apologize. I had no idea that you might claim these absurd diseases for your action or even that you have performed these actions.

Oh, I can speak with some degree of authority on disabilities. Specifically, the maladies are that I suffer neuropathy (look the word up) in my hands and feet, arthritis in my hands to the point that on some days I cannot use a knife or fork, my back is a solid stick from various injuries and arthritis and I am losing my optic nerve in my right eye thanks to diabetes. These blessing are from my Lord and they are not more nor less than many others my age.

However, I can and do shoot all pistols in the 40 range (and 357). And I use standard cowboy loads. I guess some folks have greater tolerance to discomfort than other. I can appreciate that and can empathize. I do not have much empathy for malingers - perhaps that showed in my previous statements and that cranked you. I apologize if that is the case. Feel free to malinger.

Certainly I am aware that the violations I mentioned are illegal. I merely listed some, just some, of the violations I have witnessed. I could list more if you want. I said nothing to those who had these violations as it would serve no useful purpose. Teaching pigs to sing is not a rewarding effort, now is it? It would only irritate the individuals and create animosity. I am guilty of looking the other way since these items in no way endangered anyone. I suppose they would have driven you to a white hot state. Too bad, so sad. As I stated, I came to shoot and I do.

Let me pass on to you some extremely valid advice I received on the second or third day at the Jesuit University from which I received my undergraduate degree. The kind fathers told me I have three choices; 1) agree with what they had to say (not too likely in some areas), 2) tolerate what they had to say (OK that might be possible), or 3) get the 77Ey out of the class room. Since I am of a different faith, I could not comply entirely with option 1, option 2 was certainly possible, option 3 was one I wanted but could not afford since they were paying my way thru school.

Well, you have those same three options, agree with me (probably not), tolerate me (probably not) or option three get out of my life (certainly within your power to control). So, when you see my name on a post, move along, don't read it, there is nothing there for you, I know I shall do that when I spy your name on a post since I have no desire to listen to the sound of a flushing toilet or read comments of an arrogant egotistical twit.

Another thing the kind fathers taught me was to always end on a positive note. I pray that your day is filled with the Oder of roses, your mouth, the taste of honey and that you hear the sweet song of birds in your ears. That you might see beautiful ladies and happy children at play. I am commanded to love you (not like you) as you are my brother. So, have an absolutely wonderful day, enjoy the sun and the fresh air and think kind and generous thoughts.

STL Suomi

Hey St. Louis Soumi, I'll send ya MY schedule and you can shoot with us anytime! I like your style :lol:

Oh, I can speak with some degree of authority on disabilities. Specifically, the maladies are that I suffer neuropathy (look the word up) in my hands and feet, arthritis in my hands to the point that on some days I cannot use a knife or fork, my back is a solid stick from various injuries and arthritis and I am losing my optic nerve in my right eye thanks to diabetes. These blessing are from my Lord and they are not more nor less than many others my age

Wow St. Louis Soumi! Not sure what lead to that (haven't been reading this post for awhile), but I'll bet the sparks will fly now. I made mention of an unsafe setup at "a" range due to their tables and got the third degree. Continually pestered for the name of the range, I finally gave it out. Boy was that a bad notion. Got kicked out of the range (just for reporting what I saw) and everybody and their brother were out to get me. A life long friend and former gun dealer took the offense and to this day, counters me and make snide posts just for my benefit. The range is still the same as I reported it. Unsafe? I think so because common sense was not utilized in the least in its design. Everyone else thought safe as can be. You be the judge. I applaud you for not mentioning names. Apparently a big NO-NO. Reading just your post, I see nothing wrong with it at all!

As for your health; Diabetes (and its complications after 35 years of it) was my SASS undoing. I have neuropathy so bad in my lower extremities that I can barely move from point A to B and if I can the pain just about kills me. I can't hold up a rifle or shotgun anymore either. Diabetes is no fun my friend, so be careful and may the Lord give you quite a few years more of shooting a sport you love. Cherish every minute you're given since you just don't know how long it will last. And most of all, don't let posters get the better of you. I did and it was a serious waste of my time. I think that this post had the comparison of Ginger or Mary Ann, but when it gets to the point of "dang you for voting Mary Ann", It's time to ignore and move on. Because there are a lot more important things in life for one to worry about. I live a good life in-spite of my ailments and what someone thinks of what I'm doing is the least of my concern. Have a good life and have some good shooting inbetween. Smithy.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

Wow St. Louis Soumi! Not sure what lead to that (haven't been reading this post for awhile), but I'll bet the sparks will fly now. I made mention of an unsafe setup at "a" range due to their tables and got the third degree. Continually pestered for the name of the range, I finally gave it out. Boy was that a bad notion. Got kicked out of the range (just for reporting what I saw) and everybody and their brother were out to get me. A life long friend and former gun dealer took the offense and to this day, counters me and make snide posts just for my benefit. The range is still the same as I reported it. Unsafe? I think so because common sense was not utilized in the least in its design. Everyone else thought safe as can be. You be the judge. I applaud you for not mentioning names. Apparently a big NO-NO. Reading just your post, I see nothing wrong with it at all!

As for your health; Diabetes (and its complications after 35 years of it) was my SASS undoing. I have neuropathy so bad in my lower extremities that I can barely move from point A to B and if I can the pain just about kills me. I can't hold up a rifle or shotgun anymore either. Diabetes is no fun my friend, so be careful and may the Lord give you quite a few years more of shooting a sport you love. Cherish every minute you're given since you just don't know how long it will last. And most of all, don't let posters get the better of you. I did and it was a serious waste of my time. I think that this post had the comparison of Ginger or Mary Ann, but when it gets to the point of "dang you for voting Mary Ann", It's time to ignore and move on. Because there are a lot more important things in life for one to worry about. I live a good life in-spite of my ailments and what someone thinks of what I'm doing is the least of my concern. Have a good life and have some good shooting inbetween. Smithy.

you just cant quit can you Smithy

you just cant quit can you Smithy

Thanks for the thought Jack, but I'm still able to sit at my bench and work on guns and reload. I can also manage to stand enough to shoot at my local indoor range. (I had to stop the black powder though). It's fun and my family goes with me (I don't think that they trust me by myself). And the guns I'm working on are the one's that I want to pass on to my wife and three kids. It's all good, and the good Lord has blessed me more than I can say with a loving wife of 23 years, two girls and a boy now almost grown and a sport(s) that I love to talk about and do on occasion. Couldn't ask for better! Smithy.

I guess I touched a nerve with this thread. I started it in response the an article in Cowboy Chronicle. I will continue to shoot .38's as I have lots of brass and molds to make my own 158 grain SWC's. in the shotgun I shoot "low recoil" commercial loads as my side by side with external hammers has a metal butt plate and can sting in the summer with a full power load.

I like the external hammers as they look correct, slower for me to shoot but I am there to have fun. It is the same reason I shoot double duelist, Ben Cartwright never used 2 hands!

Another reason to start the tread was to get my you tube videos seen by people, check out the initial posting!

I guess I touched a nerve with this thread. I started it in response the an article in Cowboy Chronicle. I will continue to shoot .38's as I have lots of brass and molds to make my own 158 grain SWC's. in the shotgun I shoot "low recoil" commercial loads as my side by side with external hammers has a metal butt plate and can sting in the summer with a full power load.

I like the external hammers as they look correct, slower for me to shoot but I am there to have fun. It is the same reason I shoot double duelist, Ben Cartwright never used 2 hands!

Another reason to start the tread was to get my you tube videos seen by people, check out the initial posting!

No big deal - shoot 38's and HAVE FUN. Forget all the 'gamer' junk and bantor IMHO. As you can tell the Wire can easily be a place were folks get 'nervy'. Do what you need to do to enjoy the game.

I shoot full load BP 45 Colt - am I any better or 'cowboy' than anyone else - HELL NO! because I am having just as much fun as the next guy...YEE HAW! When the time comes that I can no longer shot the big loads I will be just as content to down-size my loads or shoot 38's - why might one say?? - because I am shooting and that in itself is FUN FUN FUN :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• 4 weeks later...

Switched to a different powder and near max charge so it certainly won't be a gamer load. But it feels "Cowboy" to me.

I get alot of recoil out of the Vaquero. I also noticed that now my point of impact is right on my point of aim and 30 feet.

The reason I did this is because I loaded 600 rounds of 38 special the other day and afterwards, of course it was afterwards, thought maybe I through a double charge. I put them to one side and decided to go back to a different powder that is known to fill the case so I can see it in the 38 special.

I switched to a well known powder that fills the case, "path leader" or something like that, I don't want to give any load data or info.

Shooting duelist and seeing the recoil it just looks right as far as I am concerned, as much as I try to mimic the TV Westerns in Dress and equipment, I have always laughed at how there is no recoil with their guns no matter what they are shooting.

You see then roll through a full cylinder with their six gun it doesn't kick up at all.

When I watch the movies stars shoot the Trapdoor Springfields they show no recoil, look at the recoil in my Trapdoor below with black powder!

Switched to a different powder and near max charge so it certainly won't be a gamer load. But it feels "Cowboy" to me.

I get alot of recoil out of the Vaquero. I also noticed that now my point of impact is right on my point of aim and 30 feet.

The reason I did this is because I loaded 600 rounds of 38 special the other day and afterwards, of course it was afterwards, thought maybe I through a double charge. I put them to one side and decided to go back to a different powder that is known to fill the case so I can see it in the 38 special.

I switched to a well known powder that fills the case, "path leader" or something like that, I don't want to give any load data or info.

Shooting duelist and seeing the recoil it just looks right as far as I am concerned, as much as I try to mimic the TV Westerns in Dress and equipment, I have always laughed at how there is no recoil with their guns no matter what they are shooting.

You see then roll through a full cylinder with their six gun it doesn't kick up at all.

When I watch the movies stars shoot the Trapdoor Springfields they show no recoil, look at the recoil in my Trapdoor below with black powder!

So you got your post yesterday deleted and posted most of it again here? Why do you care so much about what other folks shoot?

I think it is not what others shoot but am I doing it right? I would like to shoot 44-40 as that was to me the most common "cowboy" cartridge in the old west, but in Massachusetts you cannot buy any revolvers in 44-40, they are not Mass Legal (too dangerous I guess) and was agonizing over 45 Colt that we can get in the Ruger Vaquero, and no other single actions that I know of, I think that is the only Mass legal 45 Colt, at least in new guns, if it was owned and registered in Mass before 1998 you can buy one.

I guess I just have a feeling that the .38 is not right but it is what I have. I will not let it stop me from shooting SASS, but just over analyse things.

I will let it drop and just go have fun.

Holy smokes - no need to worry about what YOU shoot? Shoot what you LIKE! If it doesn' t seem 'cowboy' to you then shoot something different.

I shot full load BP 45 Colt cause I like it...but a pard that shoots .38 or ANYTHING else is just as 'cowboy' in my book...heck! the little buckaroo's that shoot 22 are just as much 'cowboy' as any of us.

Wild Bill Hickock shot .36's - you gonna tell me he ain't cowboy ;)

I think you are right, I have been an idiot about this whole thing

I have to just go and continue to have fun!

I think I will pull the 600 bullets to make sure there isn't a double charge, I had thought to shoot them in my 1873 357 but at double it would be almost a proof load.

Of course my wife thinks I am a bit touched when I pound a bullet hammer on the floor

I think you are right, I have been an idiot about this whole thing

I have to just go and continue to have fun!

I think I will pull the 600 bullets to make sure there isn't a double charge, I had thought to shoot them in my 1873 357 but at double it would be almost a proof load.

Of course my wife thinks I am a bit touched when I pound a bullet hammer on the floor

Not at all - you are just trying to find you niche pard! I guess I am just sayin' you are already 'cowboy' (how can a Ben Cartwright not be?? :D )

Happy shootin' and see ya down the trail sometime :)

Why do you think you may have a double charge? Another good reason to use a Dillon 650 with a powder checker. Another good thing about light loads, a double charge works out to just below a maximum charge.

.38's will NOT make you a gamer..............it's that little blue box with the beeper that makes you a gamer. This of course depends upon whether the word gamer is used as a noun or adjective. I'm thinking your question is using it as a noun.

CS

Why do you think you may have a double charge? Another good reason to use a Dillon 650 with a powder checker. Another good thing about light loads, a double charge works out to just below a maximum charge.

On Monday I was tired from work, I put a bullet in the case at the powder station and pushed it in with the expander and dumped the powder on top of it (what a mess) and then a little later I found I have a bullet again pressed down into the case when I tried to seat one in the case, so I just have a feeling that I was messing things up and may have a double. weighing them won't help as I scroung cases and they are allover the place weight wise. I could just get rid of them, probably $70 worth of rounds, but I am going to try pulling them with a Hornaday lever puller, they are RNFP so they have a bit of a shoulder to grab onto. If it doesn't work then I have to decide what to do.

As I said a friend suggested using them for practice in the lever action, it could better handle a really not Magnum load - I don't know. I would rather wast the time by pulling them or if no time to waste a bit of money, but how do I get rid of 600 rounds, if I take them to the local police they will have a bird here in Liberal Land.

A few years ago the papers reported about to Police finding an ARSENAL OF WEAPONS - 3 rifles and 200 rounds of ammo! If that is an arsenal, then what do I have?

What I see is that in 30 days (approx.) of concentrated effort, we've come no closer to resolving the issue than we have in the past 26 years. Go back to your beating of dead horses.

What I see is that in 30 days (approx.) of concentrated effort, we've come no closer to resolving the issue than we have in the past 26 years. Go back to your beating of dead horses.

:lol:

Well it's Gamer this and Gamer that

And I don't like that feller's hat

And he spent too much on his guns

I don't think he has any fun

He ain't like me is what I'm sayin

He needs to play just like I'm playin

Why's he winnin all the time?

I got no buckle, it's a crime

I think that what's out of whack is

he's a guy who likes to practice

That's somethin' Duke would never do