SASS Wire Forum

1866 yellowboy or 1873?

Llama Ron

so I'm rifle-looking; actually want the carbine...anyway, I had a Traditions '73 that was let go in the great 'bill-pay sell off'.

I really like the looks of the Yellowboy 1866 though.

One as good as the other? I'm not a 'gamer' so if one is slightly faster than the other I could care less. I do care about durability, quality, etc...

thoughts?

They are basically the same exact gun. However, the 73 has the lever safety to stop you from pulling the trigger too soon and blowing up the gun. Soooo its a nice little bonus to prevent any accidents and ruining the rifle. I've owned and shot both...but now I only have the 73 ;)

I had a 66 in 38 for awhile. I thought it was a heavy rifle. Heavier than a 73?

Fillmore

Hi

IMHO is a matter of preference since both the M66 and M73 are excellent rifles, joined SASS in 1999, I own two m66's 24" .45LC that I have shot since 1999 and the other M66 isa 24" in caliber .44-40 that my daughter (Lady Cin) shoots, and I also own a M-73 44" .45LC that we both use as a back up.

To be honest with you I like both M66 and M73 I never had any mechanical problems or jamming with either rifle.

Take care

BB24424L

:FlagAm: They are both great guns, but if you have ever pinched your trigger finger between the trigger and the trigger guard while "hurrying", the 73 can be modified for a "trigger stop" which will eliminate that. The 66 can't. :rolleyes:

They are basically the same exact gun. However, the 73 has the lever safety to stop you from pulling the trigger too soon and blowing up the gun. Soooo its a nice little bonus to prevent any accidents and ruining the rifle. I've owned and shot both...but now I only have the 73 ;)

so did you blow one up? :unsure:

I have a 66, the wife a 73. If you get a 66 you'll need to reinforce the loading gate. Not so on the 73. After that it's personal preference.

Barry Sloe

Back when I was playing this game I had a 66 rifle and a 73 short rifle. I too suffered a great sell off to pay medical bills. I sold my 66 first and my 73 last.

Although I did take the lever safety out of the 73. :o I put it back in when I sold it.

My current quest is for a 1873 short rifle in 44 Special.

:FlagAm: I have a '66. Been through 2 loading gates,(broken tabs) and had it fire slightly out of battery once. Couldn't load the rifle as it bent the lever a 1\2 inch. Would love a '73, but can't afford it. I like the '66 for looks, but given the choice I'd take the '73 for safety. :)

Got's and uses Winchester 66 ,,,,,,,, No got's nor wants a 73 !!!!

Now a nother 66 in .38-40 ,,,,, would sure be nice !!!!

Santa didn't bring me one :mellow:-_-

Jabez Cowboy

As stated above; individual matter of preference. Try to use each one - the stocks are a bit different - then get what you like.

I have 66(38) & 73(45) carbine & 73(357/38) short rifle. The 66 will need the loading gate-tab reinforced. The 73s side plates are Much easier to remove for cleaning and they have a lever safty & action dust cover. I started with the 66 and now use the 73 short rifle as the main match rifle.

El Concho

I got spoiled by starting with a '66

The few times I used the boys '73 I HATE IT! Blasted thing you got squeeze the blasted lever to engage the blasted safety for it will fire!

Always wanted a 66 before I got one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Now I know one ain't nearly enough !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

I have both the 1866 & 1873 short rifles both have identical features. The 73 is just slightly lighter in weight than the 66 and has the lever safety.

I usually end up shooting the 66 more than the 73. I have heard that the tang drop on both are the same and then others say they are different. What I will say is when I shoulder the 66 the sights are just rite there for me,whereas I end up shifting around on the 73 for the sights.

Both great rifles but the 66 is always just rite there.

Adios Sgt. Jake

I have both the 1866 & 1873 short rifles both have identical features. The 73 is just slightly lighter in weight than the 66 and has the lever safety.

I usually end up shooting the 66 more than the 73. I have heard that the tang drop on both are the same and then others say they are different. What I will say is when I shoulder the 66 the sights are just rite there for me,whereas I end up shifting around on the 73 for the sights.

Both great rifles but the 66 is always just rite there.

Adios Sgt. Jake

the 73 is lighter? wow- I had a Taylor's '73 carbine that felt like it was a ton!

the 73 is lighter? wow- I had a Taylor's '73 carbine that felt like it was a ton!

Notice I said slightly,I'd have to put it on a scale. Just so you can feel the difference is all.

Maybe it's just me but I love those short rifles. Adios Sgt. Jake

Notice I said slightly,I'd have to put it on a scale. Just so you can feel the difference is all.

Maybe it's just me but I love those short rifles. Adios Sgt. Jake

nope- whichever I get will be a CARBINE.

It really is a hard decision. Personally I got the 73 and I loved it, BUT I think the 66 is much prettier so I had buyer’s remorse. Luckily one of my partners had purchased a 66 and really wanted a 73, so we swapped and everyone is happy now.

Gotta go with the 73 because of what was said earlier, easier to take apart for cleaning. That said I do have 2- 73's and I'm now gonna get my beautful unfired 66 a ss kit and play with it fer fun. Well.....it's all fun ain't it??:lol: Rye

Check out the front and rear sights on the 66 before you go for it. Some that I have seen are not nearly as good as those on a 73 and are harder to change due to placement at minimum. Maybe it is just the 66 carbine that has the strange sights. Maybe newer 66s have better sights than older ones. I found the comb to be lower on the 66 making it harder for me to hold and shoot accurately??

Got a couple each of the 66 and the 73....keep going back to my 66. As far as the "hastle for cleaning" some attach to the 66.....when re-assembling if you wait to tighten the springs til after you have the panels back on....it's a piece of cake. I put in the whisper springs and eliminated any screw adjustment. As far as the sights, I added a full buckhorn rear and a large grabber on the front....works great and I love the look of the 66 yellow boy.

Just my two scents.

KK

The last 73 I picked up had a Colt McCallister action and short stroke and it works great. I use it on occasion, but I still love my 66....as many have said, it's a personal choice as they are both excellent guns and you won't be disappointed with either.

Gotta go with the 73 because of what was said earlier, easier to take apart for cleaning. ...

AND a '73 has more parts to wear, tear and a needing cleaning too!

• 3 weeks later...

Got 1 of each, shoot whatever i feel like, the 66 is a little heavier but at 240lbs. I don't notice it that much. The 73 is easier to take apart because of the side plates, but since they only get taken apart before a huge match that is not a big deal.

Rafe

how do I remove that little annoying safety lever on the stock that causes the lever to lock up???!!!

Howdy

Please do not remove the lever safety. It is there for a very good reason. The lever safety is no modern lawyer dictated safety device, the original Winchester Model 1873 rifles had them too. It was put there because the 44-40 cartridge was more powerful than the 44 Henry Rimfire cartridge that the Henry and 1866 Model Winchester were chambered for.

There have been numerous incidents of toggle link rifles firing out of battery, there have even been one or two accounts on this thread. The lever safety's purpose is to prevent that from happening.

Instead of removing the safety, replace the spring. The stock spring that Uberti installs is much stiffer than need be, and can make shooting the gun a problem, as you have discovered. Call up Happy Trails at The Smith Shop and have him send you one of his replacement lever safety springs. The spring is strong enough to activate the lever even if the gun is dirty, but it is light enough that you will never know the safety is there.

Lever Safety Spring

Archived