SASS Wire Forum

Dry firing (shadow shooting)

Hud McCoy

This club rule is more stringent than most, though I do appreciate its purpose. The success of the rule will be shown in the long run of how many shooters continue to shoot at your club. I would prefer a verbal reminder during the safety meeting that shadow shooting slows down the match and is not acceptable behavior. Most of the cowboys and cowgals that I shoot with are only to happy to work with the desires of the club without having extra rules created.

What purpose do you appreciate?

Curious...

:FlagAm:

Haven't posted much on the wire in the last year..........Posts like this are the reason why.....Same old crap different year....... :huh:

Just couldn't help yourself on this one, huh? LOL.

BTW, do you pick your nose on the firing line? :lol:

Looking for your next post,,,,next year.

I guess in order to be completely fair to everyone, we need the equivalent of a shot clock. Everybody has a specific amount of time allowed that begins when they leave the loading table and ends when they have finished shooting, have picked up their guns and have left the stage. That way nobody looks differently at the shooter who carefully places his guns, shadow shoots the stage (visually or mentally) and burns the stage down than they do a shooter who walks up, lays their long guns down, says the line and takes 60 seconds to shoot the stage the first guy shot in 20. Yes, I'm being completely ridiculous, but the whole idea that you've got to hurry up a shooter is ridiculous to me.

My philosophy: Do everything possible to keep the stage moving. Clear brass, set targets, etc. to prepare the stage for the next shooter as quickly as possible. Make sure a shooter is ready to come to the line. But when the shooter arrives at the firing line, it is theirs. Let them take the time they need. How much time one shooter needs vs. another can be different, but the speed of the posse is not determined by how long a shooter is on the line, but rather how much time is spent preparing for the next shooter.

The speed of the posse is WAY more dependent on the posse doing what they're supposed to be doing than how long a shooter spends on the line.

No??? Never??

How about a snot rocket? (thats gross...sorry)

LOL.

Not on the firing line. Seems silly to spend all that time staging my guns, pawing the ground with my boots, just to risk spraying the ground with something slippery.

I do all my nose clearing functions off the firing line. I'm gamey that way.

I'm still pushing for a 5 yard penalty for "unnecessary delay of the game", if, in opinion of the T/O, the shooter takes an inordinate amount of time prepping for the stage once s/he's called to the line.

Shooter would be directed to a point 15 feet back from the designated starting point for the stage to await "the beep".

:ph34r:

Yeah this should be revivsited by our club. Thanks for the input. For the record we are a good club.

Well Hud pard.

That could be the problem...seems like at some GOOD clubs, things are going too good!!

Then everyone's sitting around the ol campfire jawing and trying ta earn their keep and WAMO!!!

Nothings going wrong so lets make-up a new rule to cure nothing!!

What really irks me is they always seem to do it in the name of safety..."lets do it for safety, lets do it for the children".

So I guess pointing a rifle at a target is unsafe at your range?????

I've witnessed this phenomenon at several clubs...One idjt screws up...lets make a new rule for everyone!!

That's a lot easier than kicking said idjt in the butt or telling em ta take a hike!!

I think you've gotten the picture...so go on back to the campfire and fix it!!

And Thanks for helping to run a good club to you and your pards...not everyone well step-up!!!!

BH

Palewolf.. you printed it in blue.. :blink:

People will take you seriously

Please retract

tellem' you're kiddin'

Rance

Thinkin' whole new can of worms

Sorry...you think I'm kidding?? <_<

(changed the COLOR for ya!!)

Guess I'll have to use more :PB);):wacko::blink::rolleyes: 's next time!

(just got a "board notification" re: use of too many emoticons) :huh:

I'm still pushing for a 5 yard penalty for "unnecessary delay of the game", if, in opinion of the T/O, the shooter takes an inordinate amount of time prepping for the stage once s/he's called to the line.

Shooter would be directed to a point 15 feet back from the designated starting point for the stage to await "the beep".

:ph34r:

LoL - Blue or Red, that's a pretty good idea, PWB...

Thanks for all of the input in regards to this. I probably got off of the beaten path in my wording of this post. It is not the fact of a shooter shouldering a long gun to see if he or she will be comfortable at a certain prop such as windows, doorways, outhouses etc. This is not a problem to us, we just feel that the shooter should not move the long gun to mimmick the course of fire. An example would be such a scenario in which you would shoot outside, outside, inside, inside and center and the shooter goes through all of those motions.

Hud McCoy :FlagAm:

Thanks for all of the input in regards to this. I probably got off of the beaten path in my wording of this post. It is not the fact of a shooter shouldering a long gun to see if he or she will be comfortable at a certain prop such as windows, doorways, outhouses etc. This is not a problem to us, we just feel that the shooter should not move the long gun to mimmick the course of fire. An example would be such a scenario in which you would shoot outside, outside, inside, inside and center and the shooter goes through all of those motions.

When in a deep hole, stop digging. ^_^

Yes...please put the shovel down.

This is not a problem to us, we just feel that the shooter should not move the long gun to mimmick the course of fire. An example would be such a scenario in which you would shoot outside, outside, inside, inside and center and the shooter goes through all of those motions.

With this new post, it appears the shooter is not 'ready to shoot' if he has to shoulder the long gun and mimick the shooting sequence. I agree, an annoyance(sp).. Why not send the shooter to the UT with his loaded guns, have him wait there until he is ready to shoot the stage and call the next shooter in the mean time? Awe, I can hear the beginning of the whine for this proposed action. I suspect there is only a couple of shooters at that club that mimmick the stage as discribed.

I am somewhat surprised for the members of the Wire to be so much in arms over a proposed local,,,,club,,,, rule. Is the uproar so great because the protesters mimick shooting the stage with their long guns positioned on their shoulder? Around my parts, I haven't seen this mimmicking action so if there ever was a local club rule, we would never know it and never would have it inforced.

Bottom line for me is.... no big deal. I guess if I ever shoot at a club that has some bizzar local rule that just really torques me, I may not go back,,,,, vote with wallet and feet so to speak. So far, there has only been one club that I have elected to not go back to.

View from my saddle.

Blastmaster

Archived