SASS Wire Forum

A bit of classic SciFi

Subdeacon Joe

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I read the entire series... Foundation, Foundation's Edge, etc.... by Azimov. Looked up the stars many times afterwards... and fell asleep thinkin' 'bout how "man" is such a lil' bitty and puny thing... in the grand scheme of the universe.

Still got those books amidst the couple thousand paperbacks that I have read...

ts

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clark.........I sure do miss those writers. I grew up with them.

Notice how you spelled "Asimov"... and my spelling, "Azimov". I remember a PBS show long ago that indicated that BOTH were correct, according to the man hisself. Cause... his alphabet... was just a tad different than ours.

I guess... kinda like "Osama" and "Usama"... both used for Bin Laden's name.

Heinlein was a good'un...

ts

If you are a fan of the genre, you must read "The Flying Sorcerers". David Gerrold,

Larry Niven

Then read it again.

Notice the "multivac" computer reference which would be very futuristic compared to the Sperry "Univac" that was state of the art at the time.

So much "awe" will be lost on future generations when they look back on things like the Dick Tracy two way video wrist watch and the Maxwell Smart shoe phone. Sci Fi gadgetry has become surpassed by reality.

Now if they could just perfect that come of silence!!

Notice the "multivac" computer reference which would be very futuristic compared to the Sperry "Univac" that was state of the art at the time.

So much "awe" will be lost on future generations when they look back on things like the Dick Tracy two way video wrist watch and the Maxwell Smart shoe phone. Sci Fi gadgetry has become surpassed by reality.

I thought they figured out that was 170 degrees from the firing line?

They did, it's just now known as the Cone of Confusion. They "just missed it by that much" according to Maxwell Smart. :)

Archived