SASS Wire Forum

Trail camera?

Matthew Duncan

I live on a wood lot with woods on 3 sides.

Behind the house I have a 20' x 30' shop

Shop has a heat/motion detector which turns on a outside light. Well the last few weeks something has been turning this light on

Also the other evening the wife allowed 3 strangers in the house (Kirby Salesmen). One them convinced her to take him to the master bedroom for a "sweeping" from the bed matters. So much for the theory of home security! Will not waste your time about the "discussion" I had with the wife.

Figure I'll place a few cameras to find out what or who is activating the shop lights and provide coverage of the house

Hard wired cameras would be a problem wiring, powering and recording. So I have narrowed my options down to trail cameras

The first generation use a standard white flash. Which allows for excellant pictures but also advertise the cameras precence.

Second generation uses a IR flash. I understand you have to be looking directly at the camera to see the flash

3rd generation uses a black flash that is stealth.

Any of you Cowpokes use your trail cams for property survailance and if you do what brand y'all prefer?

I can't help with the camera. But I've had experiance with the lights before.

I lived in a small (me and the owner), trailer park. The owner was an elderly man, and I had assisted him in setting up a motion detector light system. It was very helpful when his car was stolen. I'm sure it gave the thieves plenty of light to steal by. So I got a 12volt transformer, and hooked up a car alarm siren to it. It sure scared the bad guys away.

Perhaps this might be something you could use. It won't identify anybody, but it should scare them off.

I'm thinkin' hard about a 3rd gen stealth cam. I don't think you can see the flash of the second gen cam as ir is outside the human eyes wavelength. That being said the 3rd gen is supposedly much clearer for the law guys to make an identty with. I have a video system but you are correct... wiring it correctly to do any good is a tuff nut to crack and I haven't figured out just the best way to do it so it's just sittin'...

...It won't identify anybody, but it should scare them off.

I'm not too much into "scaring" but thank you for the thought

I have a game camera that I have been using for about the last 2 to 3 years. It takes great color photos in the day time and black and white at night. You can put a chip in it and set it for either still or move immages. of course one that has alot of MP will take a better picture. I have captured immages from as far away as 120 feet and as close as 1 to 2 feet. I have also put it up under my carport to take pictures of my main entry and it did a pretty good job.

I use three BUSHNELL TROPHY CAMS - the bottom end unit w/o onboard monitor. They were about $130 when I bought 'em. One and sometimes two are inside the house, with one or two outside or coming up my road from the highway (1 1/2 miles). I've also got a Moultrie M-80 that uses 6 D cell batteries, but battery life is nowhere near what the Bushnells are with 8 AA's. I'll get 3000+ pictures with the Bushnells, easy. Once a week or so, I'll pull the cards, pop 'em into my laptop, and see what I caught. They originally were purchased as "ex-wife" cams, but she found out about them, which is probably the sole reason she's never broken in here again. Most often, the one(s) in the house will capture a tall heavy-set naked guy walking around in the mornings with a cup of coffee, whilst the outside ones capture my cats, an occasional dog, coyotes, foxes, deer, elk, skunks, raccoons, the power company checking the meter, UPS, FedEx, and cattle.

The Moultrie has a bright white flash, and the Bushnells are IR with a faint red glow which you probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking directly at them.

Have you considered sound/motion activated machine guns.

Yes I have!

But there is a herd of stray cats under the wife's protection :(

Do the stray cats in in any way possible. The single most destructive predator of small animals and birds.

Archived