SASS Wire Forum

Buck Rogers

You're kidding, fight? Everybody knows that recoil is the reaction to a projectile being fired. Lasers and Photon guns are basically shooting light. They have even less recoil than Phasers, Plasma guns, or Disrupters.

As for semi or full automatic, semi; BUT the single shot can be as long as you hold down the trigger. Or until the power supply runs out.

You're kidding, fight? Everybody knows that recoil is the reaction to a projectile being fired. Lasers and Photon guns are basically shooting light. They have even less recoil that Phasers, Plasma guns, or Disrupters.

As for semi or full automatic, semi; BUT the single shot can be as long as you hold down the trigger. Or until the power supply runs out.

They do have recoil - but not much. Photons can be used to push an object, thus the light sail, to be used for SLOW travel across the

solar system . . . . Equal and opposite still applies . . .

As to semi versus full, well, that depends on the manufacturer, not the projectile type . . .

SC

The mass times velocity squared rule for muzzle energy, and the mass times velocity rule for momentum both get a bit weird when the rest mass is zero and velocity is the speed of light.

With the mass being zero, any velocity you multiply times zero is still....zero. Thus I stand by my original statement.

They do have recoil - but not much. Photons can be used to push an object, thus the light sail, to be used for SLOW travel across the

As to semi versus full, well, that depends on the manufacturer, not the projectile type . . .

SC

Photons can push an object, but for ANYTHING to happen, the light sail must be hundreds of square miles in size. So in pure definition, perhaps we can agree on negligable.

Semi auto is defined by a single shot fired by one pull of the trigger. Since "Ray" or "Beam" weapons fire a single continuous shot, no matter how long you hold the trigger, it meets the definition of semi-auto.

If a photon is what is "propelled" from the "weapon" then multiple photons sounds more like a full auto.

IE multiple "objects" down range from a single trigger pull. But remember that it is not a single trigger pull but more like a continuous pull more like a machine gun ie full auto.

Yet remember the episode of BR in 25th century where buck uses a m60 as a "communication" device according to the bad guy.

Wait a minute here, guys. You're starting to delve into the realm of "comparing apples to oranges." You have to remember that all of this is also based on the inclusion of your Thelmin connector variants as well as the adjustment of the Josler couplings.

Pack Saddle, I bet they forgot to take into account the retro effect of the Josler couplings. I'd a forgot it, too, if you hadn't just mentioned it - sure changes the calculations, don't it?

SC

Not much acceleration, but it should eventually reach .5 the speed of light. That's haulin', son. :P

At the risk of exposing my inner nerd, I must point out that Star Trek-type phasers are almost always depicted as constant-beam weapons, producing a beam so long as the trigger is held. Disruptors and Star Wars blasters generally are depicted as pulse weapons. Blasters usually appear to produce a short "bolt" of luminous energy.

Don't know much about the Buck Rogers universe.

Not much acceleration, but it should eventually reach .5 the speed of light. That's haulin', son. :P

By adding a blower and reducing the light intake, you can boost that to .078 the speed of light.

But only on dark days.

Archived