SASS Wire Forum

Burn-outs

For past month, been seriously contemplating on moving on. Starting to really get into Long-Range shooting with military rifle, and have about a dozen of us doing this. I don't know if CAS is burning me out or not, but lately it isn't as much fun for me, and seeing things in different light from what it was.

Anyone else ever feel that way?

I know I'll never give it up, since I enjoy shooting, but made me think if I was alone. MT

Howdy:

I could see that as a possibility. 10-10-4 is getting a wee bit stale. However, every now and then you get a really funny stage...and I stick around. :lol:

STL Suomi

Most people I know have gone through the "burn out" stage at some point. Some have moved on but most have stayed, even if at reduced levels of participation. It helps if you have another discipline to get you over the stale period. When the local club added a Wild Bunch posse for the last shoot at the end of 2010 they had a number of guys show up who hadn't shot all year. Same in 2011. Whatever you do, don't sell your guns. You can always start up again.

Put'm away don't worry about them they'll keep. Take a few months off don't even think about cowboy and come back in June you will be suprised how much more fun it will be.

At least it works for me when I feel that way.

The amount of shoots that I go to has diminished but my love for the people has grown.

MT, I'm going thru the same thing, but to a lesser degree and, with me, its because of my increasing disability with this damn knee!

But this last Sunday, my son-in-law went with me to his first shoot and I got to experience cowboy shooting all over again. Man, it was great! All the excitement, frustration, pride and nerves that goes along with the first shoot were all there for me again - what a rush! I'd love to be able to introduce a new shooter to cowboy shooting every month, it was so much fun. Might be something for you to look into.

No matter what you decide, I know it'll be the best decision for you and Bluejeans. Best wishes my Friend, and stay in touch, whatever!

We all have interests that ebb and flow. Natural. I just know you shouldn't keep doing a hobby when it becomes less of a joy and more of a job.

I love to sail, yet there came a day when I got a bad case of "Boat Burn-Out". It was time to sell the best boat I ever owned: a Hobie 33. It hurt - but it was absolutely the right thing to do.

Take a vacation from CAS. However, keep your stuff if you can. I'll betcha you'll be back, recharged and enthusiastic.

Or try Wild Bunch. :rolleyes:

Travel to a small club you have never visited before, doesn't make any difference if its a monthly match or an annual.

(Monthly would be better, since it would have fewer shooters) Even better if there is no one there that you have met before.

Send me an email and let me know if it made a difference in your attitude.

Sure, MT, we all go through this phase I imagine, especially if you are involved in putting on matches. The more you get involved, the more you see some of the nastiness and politics of SASS, which can be off-putting if you allow it. I don't. I strive to do my best to insure shooters enjoy our match, and I try to have fun at other matches as well. Arthritis has me down, chewing on me like Flint with a pork chop, especially during the winter months. I find if I force myself to get out, I end up enjoying myself in spite of myself.:blush:

Some of the uncertainties of SASS have a lot of people concerned as well. There is no Convention this year. Will there ever be another one? Only the Wild Bunch can say. Will there be a TG meeting to vote on agenda items, or will it slowly fade away? Only the Wild Bunch can say. The passing of Coyote Calhoun is a hard nut to swallow for SASS -- he was a driving force. Who, if anybody, will take his place? Only the Wild Bunch can say. The Wild Bunch is getting long in the tooth. What are their future plans for SASS, or will it die with them? Only the Wild Bunch can say. I've had several people ask me these questions. I don't have the answers. I wish the Wild Bunch was more forthcoming, but hey, it is their business.

Take a break for a while. Clear your mind. Then saddle up again. If you still feel the same way, maybe it is time to move on. Wildcat and I have scuba dived all over the world, and we have seen most of the top spots to see in more than 30 years of diving. We eventually burned out, sold our gear, and moved on with no regrets.

Best,

Okie

Archived