SASS Wire Forum

Burn-outs

For past month, been seriously contemplating on moving on. Starting to really get into Long-Range shooting with military rifle, and have about a dozen of us doing this. I don't know if CAS is burning me out or not, but lately it isn't as much fun for me, and seeing things in different light from what it was.

Anyone else ever feel that way?

I know I'll never give it up, since I enjoy shooting, but made me think if I was alone. MT

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I wouldn't even worry 'bout it... if I were you.

Believe it or not... at this very time on the Wire... there's two other fella's named "Marshal Troop"... done came to the same dang conclusion.

Listen up... I been out... and in... many times.

Nobody EVER cared.

It's kinda of a personal thang...

But...

Whatever decision ya make... good luck. I do admire ya so...

ts

I wouldn't even worry 'bout it... if I were you.

Believe it or not... at this very time on the Wire... there's two other fella's named "Marshal Troop"... done came to the same dang conclusion.

Listen up... I been out... and in... many times.

Nobody EVER cared.

It's kinda of a personal thang...

But...

Whatever decision ya make... good luck. I do admire ya so...

ts

Not so Partner - we care - we just don't feel the need to comment - other

than to say "Welcome back!"

SASS partners are SASS partners - you came and go as you will, and

you're always welcome at the fire . . . If that ever stops being true - there

won't be a SASS anymore . . . . . but some of us will still be partners . . . .

SC

The burnout is, yes a personal thing. But I've noticed over the past several months, I spend more time re-loading my .308, 30-06, and .223 with more precision, each shell receiving measured amounts, each case checked before, during, and after. I get excited when I receive a call for a get together of long range bench rest shooting. I find myself more time on some of the military, and bench rest shooting forums. Spend more time on Military forums, then I do on the SASS wire lately. I don't feel the same as I did in looking forward to next CAS match as I once did, except for the partners. I will say, I believe the Saloon is the best part of SASS wire, and the most friendly people on the wire.

There are some things otherwise, but best to keep to oneself. But definitely don't have the enthusiasm I had 6 months ago. I'm sure it will pass, as to selling, no way. Rarely do I sell a firearm. MT

MT

IMHO , you will find this , will pass , I have had some of the same thoughts . I came to shoot , BUT , I stay becuase of the people . I have been lucky to meet a bunch of good folks .

As in all groups , there are going to be some , you ain't got any use for . Them you try to over-look and help the others .

CB

I shot High Power for 10 years including the national matches at camp Perry and definately burned out on that. Due to many factors I only shoot Cowboy action about twice a year now and that has a lot to do with the club. In Iowa the club I belonged to was always a riot and I really looked forward to the shoots. Here, not so much. Very closed groups, serioius shooters and not as much fun. Atmosphere is everything for me and I don't seem to have as much fun as I did. Then there is the age thing and the problem of standing all morning. I seem to enjoy a quiet day at the range shooting my guns for accuracy and doing a little gunsmithing to see if I can get them to shoot better more than SASS these days. Still I like hanging around the saloon and the the cowboy code I find here. Life is short, do what makes you happy, you're always welcome here.

Bugs

I think it is always a good thing to take a break from even the hobbies you love once in awhile. Not long extended breaks, but long enough to enjoy other things and to come back refreshed and ready for more. I also think it is natural for people to want to try different things and explore and evolve. So long as you know that the gang and the game will still be here, what is the harm in exploring other areas of interest?

MT

I figgure someone will FLAME me for this ,

It will not be the first time , nor the last

and I don't let it bother me , most times

CB

No reason to do so. Me and BlueJeans did horses and boating, also considered close knit, but you do have some that only think of themselves also, or the type you find later, are not who they pretend to be. Several years back, a group of us boaters planned a cruise down the inter-coastal to Miami and then to Bimini. We all agreed that if someone had mechanical problems, or etc. one would stay and then cruise to Bimini together, rather then alone, in case of problems. Well, of all things one of my engines cooling pumps broke down and would encompass a 24 hour layover in Miami to get the part down and installed. Our, at that time, best friends, said they would stay and we would cross together, the rest taking off at 4AM. Low and behold, when I got on deck, I seen my partner had taken off with the group. We crossed alone that afternoon to Bimini. Lesson #1, get up earlier. MT

Kind of going through the same thing MT. Will not go into the problem would involve so many, and oh what a problem. Even threats of law suites going on. Just was not as much fun anymore as you said because of those things going on. Anyway, I got an excuse because I have volunteered in a project lasting one year at 40-50 hours a week. So, taking that year off from cowboy shooting and hope things will be back to the cowboy way when I come back in July. Hope ya able to keep the equipment, it really is a lot of fun, or at least can be :(

MT;

When I get figured cost of mailing may have a bench rest up fer sale. Will be great price on custom made fer someone :) Keep eye open on forum.

For past month, been seriously contemplating on moving on. Starting to really get into Long-Range shooting with military rifle, and have about a dozen of us doing this. I don't know if CAS is burning me out or not, but lately it isn't as much fun for me, and seeing things in different light from what it was.

Anyone else ever feel that way?

I know I'll never give it up, since I enjoy shooting, but made me think if I was alone. MT

Nope, I get burn out a lot, both with shooting and non shooting hobbies. I view it that all my hobbies run in cycles with ups and downs. Right now, the military history is on an up cycle and combined with the ability to find obscure titles on Amazon, I've bought a bunch of books over the past 6 months. The same thing with my interests in music. In 2011 shooting and guns was a down cycle. Between a summer filled with very hot & humid conditions or rain on both SASS and non-SASS days and opportunities to pick up some OT on the weekends, I shot maybe a quarter of what I did in 2010.

For SASS, try switching catergories or setting yourself a personal goal such as how many clean matches in a row you can shoot.

Most of us have multiple interests in the firearms arena. Right now I'm hot to trot with single shot rifles including .22. Matter of fact, I'm deeply in love with the 22 rifle again now and haven't shot a pistol other than a 45 auto in months. To top all that off I love metal detecting & its very difficult to find time for all. Wouldn't surprise me that the urge to get out the single actions hits me soon...it all goes in cycles.

Too many hobbies and not enough time. :unsure::lol:

Archived