SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone had success with a vibtratory tumbler

Wagon Box Willy

Howdy Pards,

So I'm waiting for my backordered $29 HF dual drum rotary tumbler to arrive and my media came in from Sage Outfitters today and I wanted to try it out in my vibratory tumbler because I've read you can use it in one.

Well, how much media do you need to get this to tumble correctly? I put about 25 45/70 cases in my tumbler along with about 3lbs of media (and solution too) but after an hour it seems most cases are sitting on the top??

Am I doing something wrong or is the media's use in a vibratory tumbler just an urban legend?

Thanks

Willy

Howdy Pards,

So I'm waiting for my backordered $29 HF dual drum rotary tumbler to arrive and my media came in from Sage Outfitters today and I wanted to try it out in my vibratory tumbler because I've read you can use it in one.

Well, how much media do you need to get this to tumble correctly? I put about 25 45/70 cases in my tumbler along with about 3lbs of media (and solution too) but after an hour it seems most cases are sitting on the top??

Am I doing something wrong or is the media's use in a vibratory tumbler just an urban legend?

Thanks

Willy

Lots of factors. If using a small, low powered vibratory machine, the weight of the media, water, and brass is too much for good action and the machine cannot vibrate vigorously enough to do the job. Too much water in the tumbler really slows down the action of the media. If you can see any water, below the media, you have maximum amount of water for good action. If the media is covered completely with water, it will not work and the brass might just ride on top of it. The amount of media doesn't seem to affect action much in a rotary tumbler, but the amount of water definitely does. When in doubt, use too little water. Your results will be better.

Guys say that -- assuming you can seal the water in -- vibratory tumblers can do the job. But, I've used a sidewinder and Thumbler and cannot see how a vibrator can provide the kind of action necessary for cleaning all inside and outside surfaces of the brass. They do their work in very different ways. You've really got to have the media entering and leaving the case to get the right action and that won't happen in a vibrator.

I'm gonna guess your vibrator was overloaded in a weight kind of way.

Ceramic media was intended for rotary type. It is a much heavier media that corn cob/walnut etc. and will settle to the bottom on a "vibb" and the brass just "floats" on top. How much water did you use. I use tha media kit from Shiloh Sharps and my BPCR cases come out looking better than new.

Anyone that uses water in a vibtratory that has the motor under the bowl is looking for problems and it's NOT SAFE....

Look up Dave Maurer ceramic media.

Cheers,

LG

Yes, it was too heavy. I removed some media and it started tumbling better although there was not enough media to clean the cases then. I guess I'll have to wait until my rotary tumbler is received before I can play with this stuff.

Willy

Archived