SASS Wire Forum

Made a big crockpot of pork and pintos yesterday, yum

Iron Pony

And lets just say it wasnt a quiet evening at rancho de pony :o Probably a good thing I live alone or I'd have been sleeping on the couch.

Pinto beans, cut up boneless pork ribs, green chile powder, cumin, garlic, onion, salt and pepper simmering in the crockpot all day then a shot of Cholula sauce on a big bowl full for dinner. Have the rest in meal sized containers divided between fridge and freezer for quick followup treatments. Going to have to find some nice sharp chedar and manchego cheese to make refrieds with a batch for enchiladas or such.

And lets just say it wasnt a quiet evening at rancho de pony :o Probably a good thing I live alone or I'd have been sleeping on the couch.

Pinto beans, cut up boneless pork ribs, green chile powder, cumin, garlic, onion, salt and pepper simmering in the crockpot all day then a shot of Cholula sauce on a big bowl full for dinner. Have the rest in meal sized containers divided between fridge and freezer for quick followup treatments. Going to have to find some nice sharp chedar and manchego cheese to make refrieds with a batch for enchiladas or such.

Sounds yummy, . ... :)

Ya picked the right hot sauce for the job IMHO... powdered green chile? I'm going to have to watch the stores for that one. Sounds good!!!

Recipe amounts?

View PostIron Pony, on 07 January 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

simmering in the crockpot all day then a shot of Cholula sauce on a big bowl full for dinner. Have the rest in meal sized containers divided between fridge and freezer for quick followup treatments. Going to have to find some nice sharp chedar and manchego cheese to make refrieds with a batch for enchiladas or such.

Recipe amounts?

Just the right amount of everything! :lol:

Seriously, that sounds like a throw together, just what looks and feels right, and the amounts will be a bit different each time. My rough guess would be:

Pinto beans, - a pound, rinsed and picked over.

cut up boneless pork ribs, - maybe about two pounds

green chile powder,- not sure on this one, never used it, but start off with a Tablespoon

cumin, - maybe about a teaspoon

garlic, - two cloves at least, maybe up to ten

onion, - one medium or large, chopped, depending on your tastes,

salt and pepper - to taste. maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of pepper. Add the salt towards the end of the cooking, 1/2 to 1 tsp to start.

That is assuming a 6 qt. cooker. Add water to cover the beans by about an inch and a half. You may need to add more water during the cooking.

========================================================================================================================

Iron Pony, how did I do?

Ya forgot the cornbread, Joe.

:blink:

Well, if ya want it HOT to go along with the stew, now isn't the time to start it. But if you don't mind it cold:

Turn your oven on to about 425, toss in your black iron skillet to start warming up.

In your mixing bowl put in two cups of self rising flour and two cups of cornmeal (or one cup of SRF and three cups of cornmeal, some combination to come up to 4 cups). Add a teaspoon of baking powder, just in case. Stir that up with a fork. Add two eggs, two cups of buttermilk and stir. You don't want lumps of dry. If it's too thick (like my head) add a bit more buttermilk or water. Pull the skillet out of the oven and add a few tablespoons of butter or bacon grease, let it melt, swirl it in the pan. Pour the grease into your batter and mix. Then pour the batter into the skillet. Put in the hot oven and back until golden brown and delicious, about 35 to 45 minutes.

But into wedges, serve hot. Best slathered with butter.

Joe had it about right, it was a throw together.

Red onion about the size of a tennis ball chopped fine.

About 2 tbs of cumin and green chile powder, used the palm of my hand. (after red chile cumin is my favorite spice)

Cheated and used garlic powder, about 2 tbs. as well.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I split a 3 lb pkg of porks ribs so say a pound and a half.

1 lb of pintos washed and rinsed.

Water to cover the whole mess.

Everything went into the pot at once, except the onion as I had to stop at the store and get one. Let it simmer away for a good 8 hours and the beans were tender but not mushy. The pork was cooked through but didnt fall apart.

Right before finishing up I added a corn starch slurry to thicken up the juice. Used to use pancake batter in stews etc but wanted to see what the corn starch did as every time I try to make a rue I SCREW IT UP!!!! Going to go back to the pancake batter as it gives it a little sweet.

The green chile powder is something that comes in care packages from my Mom in New Mexico, never seen it on a store shelf but it might be had at a Mexican market. I dont think its hot but does add a lot of flavor.

Think with leftovers I may have to break down and do home made flour tortillas. Damn I'm hungry again.

Joe had it about right, it was a throw together.

<snip>

Right before finishing up I added a corn starch slurry to thicken up the juice. Used to use pancake batter in stews etc but wanted to see what the corn starch did as every time I try to make a rue I SCREW IT UP!!!! Going to go back to the pancake batter as it gives it a little sweet.

Thanks, Iron Pony. I was farthest off on the chili powder and cumin, but those are very much a matter of taste. I like to cook by method. Give someone a recipe and they have one dish. Teach someone a method and you give them a thousand.

For thickening, try dicing up some corn tortillas real small - take 4 or 5 in a stack,cut 'em in half, stack that, cut long ways to about 1/4 inch strips, turn the strips and cut into 1/4 inch pieces. Toss 'em in about half way through. They break down pretty much into the masa, and will thicken a stew real well. I do that when I make posole. And adds a nice rich flavor too.

Archived