SASS Wire Forum

Jail Bars

Dream Chaser, SASS #79316

Just wondering what is considered a reasonable distance between jail bars. Plan is to shoot a rifle through them. I am working up a little prop to hold the jail "bars" since we don't have a dedicated range.

Just wondering what is considered a reasonable distance between jail bars. Plan is to shoot a rifle through them. I am working up a little prop to hold the jail "bars" since we don't have a dedicated range.

Not the answer to your question.

Are you going to allow the shooters to just shoot thru the bars or require them to stick their rifle thru them?

One way is OK, the other is stupid and potentially unsafe.

Fillmore

My idea is to require them to have their muzzles past the bars. I was planning on using pvc pipe and painting it. Raising another question as to whether wooden dowels would be better. I'm willing to listen to all ideas.

One of the local clubs has a stage like that. It has been responsible for removing the front sights from numerous rifles and shotguns.

Not one of my favorites.

Another club uses shotgun shells strung onto a cable. Loose at the bottom. Much better.

2 feet comes to mind as reasonable :rolleyes: (I hate shooting through bars). At our range they are rebar with a pipe wrap covering and are probablly 10 or 12 inches apart, they used to be closer but we cut out 1 bar. One thing to consider is they need to be far enough apart that a Gunfighter can get both pistols between them.

Randy

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

My suggestion is 12"... nation-wide. That way... I could sift through any of 'em...

ts

Excellent advice coming through. Plans were to only shoot rifle through them. Now I am beginning to wonder. However there is a bigger match that uses them and so I thought it might be good practice for it. Hopefully more comments, pro or con, will come in and help me make that final decision.

I shot at a local annual that has a jail wagon in which I think the steel bars are maybe 5-6" apart. Rifle wasn't too bad as I could prop my hand on the bar and semi rest the rifle. Pistols were another matter as it was very unhandy and difficult to focus. Shotgun targets were a real challenge but I shot it slower and was kind of cool shooting from up inside a jail wagon.

If it were on a down to earth stage prop, I would prefer the bars much wider and have a protective coating on them. Painted PVC would work for me.

We've got a jail/sheriff's office and a bank with bars on the windows.. The windows have bars in them made out of PVC pipe, about 6 inches apart. PVC works well in case someone decides to shoot "thru" the bars instead of around them. It's happened about 3 times in 10 years. No restrictions on shooter's reference whether or not they have to push their barrel thru the window to engage targets. We shoot all three firearms thru the windows all the time without problems. It's fun, a bit different, and makes the shooter work a bit to properly engage targets. Can't have everything be a stand and blast or boredom will kill us.

Just some things to think about....

Is the prop tall enough for Big John to use and low enough for Little people.

Will the bars be expendable or a Match DQ if hit.

Gunfighters shooting their pistols through it will hate you. Double Duelists will despise you.

Double Shooters need to have room so they can shoot behind the bars so they don't rip the front bead off the shotgun.

My club has a jail with PVC pipe bars, about 12" apart. We have a knockdown target that you have to hit which pulls a rope to open the cell door. Then you run out and shoot the rest of the stage. It's a lot of fun. We normally poke the barrel through the bars.

For safety and ease of movement, I would recommend 10-12 inches. PVC works well.

We've got a jail/sheriff's office and a bank with bars on the windows.. The windows have bars in them made out of PVC pipe, about 6 inches apart. PVC works well in case someone decides to shoot "thru" the bars instead of around them. It's happened about 3 times in 10 years. No restrictions on shooter's reference whether or not they have to push their barrel thru the window to engage targets. We shoot all three firearms thru the windows all the time without problems. It's fun, a bit different, and makes the shooter work a bit to properly engage targets. Can't have everything be a stand and blast or boredom will kill us.

Are those the same bars I always tried to remove from the bottom???? :lol:

Perhaps you could set them about 6 inches apart, but make every other one removeable. Or perhaps the middle two or three.

I was curious what the standard might be, and ran across this story of a guy who managed to slip through bars set 4-1/2" apart! No way would my big melon go through such an opening :lol:

At desparadoville, they have a jail cell. It is completely filled in with bars and has an opening door in the rear. The 'shooting area'(front right corner as you enter the cell and face the targets) has an opening about 3 feet wide with no bars. The opening is maybe 4 feet tall. The bars are set 6 to 8 inches apart, I can't tell you what they are made of. This set up is safe and easy to shoot any gun from.

Thanks to all who gave me their thoughts on the jail bars. I settled on 7 inches apart which was plenty wide for the rifle. As originally planned we did not shoot anything but the rifle through them. I had thought I would use 5 inches but many on the wire either flat out don't care for them or liked wider so I went with the 7 and it was a good choice. Bars were of the smallest pvc pipe and worked well. Bars were removable and easy to re-install so we first went with the frame as a window which was about 15 inches wide. On a later stage the bars were added to make it jail bars which were 7 inches. Rules required the muzzle be past the bars and they started with the rifle through the bars and aimed at the targets. Once again thanks for all the input.

Perhaps you could set them about 6 inches apart, but make every other one removeable. Or perhaps the middle two or three.

I was curious what the standard might be, and ran across this story of a guy who managed to slip through bars set 4-1/2" apart! No way would my big melon go through such an opening :lol:

Plus if they'd a used PVC pipe I'd a got out a hell'va lot quicker.

Archived