SASS Wire Forum

Annie Oakley

Saw a movie last night that I had never seen before...Annie Oakley, with Miss Barbara Stanwyck.

Now, parts were real cornball, and I'm sure it wasn't historically accurate (Sitting Bull driving a carriage down the streets of NY???) But it is a 1936 flick, and so some melodrama and vaudeville humor were to be expected.

But it was FUN, and had the best film versions of Buffalo Bill's Wild West that I've seen in a movie. No heavy special effects here - real riding, real shooting, and pretty authentic costuming. I had the feeling that I was watching folks who actually did this for a living, as opposed to some actors trying to look like someone who did so.

Some great period carts and carriages, great guns, and neat period sets.

Grab a look...and smile.

$7.79 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Oakley-Barbara-Stanwyck/dp/B000UJCAJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1325679788&sr=1-1

LL

Saw a movie last night that I had never seen before...Annie Oakley, with Miss Barbara Stanwyck.

Now, parts were real cornball, and I'm sure it wasn't historically accurate (Sitting Bull driving a carriage down the streets of NY???) But it is a 1936 flick, and so some melodrama and vaudeville humor were to be expected.

But it was FUN, and had the best film versions of Buffalo Bill's Wild West that I've seen in a movie. No heavy special effects here - real riding, real shooting, and pretty authentic costuming. I had the feeling that I was watching folks who actually did this for a living, as opposed to some actors trying to look like someone who did so.

Some great period carts and carriages, great guns, and neat period sets.

Grab a look...and smile.

$7.79 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Oakley-Barbara-Stanwyck/dp/B000UJCAJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1325679788&sr=1-1

LL

Sounds fun. And Sitting Bull may have actually done that ? Were the films of Buffalo Bill's show actually of his show? That alone would make it worth while.

Sounds fun. And Sitting Bull may have actually done that ? Were the films of Buffalo Bill's show actually of his show? That alone would make it worth while.

Wolfgang:

I don't believe these were films of the actual show; the ring was too small, and the number of performers too few, for what I understand to be the "real thing". But they were still grand to watch.

Are there some films circulating of the real Wild West? Links, anyone?

LL

Wolfgang:

I don't believe these were films of the actual show; the ring was too small, and the number of performers too few, for what I understand to be the "real thing". But they were still grand to watch.

Are there some films circulating of the real Wild West? Links, anyone?

LL

That was an entertaining movie. I remember seeing it years ago.

Hyar ya go. The real deal.

Archived