SASS Wire Forum

Russian Remington

Wild Will Bartell

On the left barrel only. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this was not out of the ordinary for these doubles.

Anyone have any experiences like this? Is there a fix for it? Thanks.

WWB

Quite often there is some wood on the buttstock or some metal burrs in the action that are slowing down the hammer fall. A good cleaning and deburring is a good start. Look for rub marks where the left hammer operates.

Next, you might make sure the left hammer spring is free to compress and release freely. Burrs in the hole in which the spring sits are common, too.

If the gun has not had a thorough action job by a good double gunsmith, it's about time for one.

Good luck, GJ

My Baikal did the same thing with smokless shells, but not when I shot black powder. Come to find out, the stouter recoil from smokeless rounds made the safety kickover to the left side's hammer, effectively blocking it. It's been years since I've dismantled it, so I don't recall exactly what I did to fix the problem, but I do remember it was a very simple, easy and quick (and permanent) fix.

Cleburne

On the left barrel only. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this was not out of the ordinary for these doubles.

Anyone have any experiences like this? Is there a fix for it? Thanks.

WWB

It's fairly common with the Stoegers but not so much with the Russian Baikals.

Do you actually hear the hammer fall when you pull the trigger? Has it been worked on? I have had some sent to me that had the cockers changed and then one side or the other failed to cock on open.

It's fairly common with the Stoegers but not so much with the Russian Baikals.

Do you actually hear the hammer fall when you pull the trigger? Has it been worked on? I have had some sent to me that had the cockers changed and then one side or the other failed to cock on open.

Yes on both accounts. I hear,(and feel) the hammer fall and I installed some aftermarket cocking levers. The gun worked fine for about two years, then this problem developed on an intermittent basis.

On our Baikal that gets used a lot, after about 4 years one firing pin broke off the hammer (it's an integral firing pin, swaged into the hammer block). You would hear the hammer snap, but putting your finger over the firing pin hole, you didn't feel the sharp "sting" of the pin hitting your finger. Might be that, too.

If the cocking lever was misshaped, then the hammer would not cock and stay back, and you would not be hearing it snap forward.

Good luck, GJ

Archived