SASS Wire Forum

Out of the Mouth Of Babes

The other day, I was watching my grandsons and the oldest one, 8 years old and wise beyond his years, comes up to me and said "Grampa, I know why you carry your gun when you come over to watch us. So that you can protect us...."

He has grown up around Police Officers, with my retiring in 2009, my Son being a Deputy Sheriff, and my SIL, the boy's father, being on our SWAT Team, He sees how undermanned our Department has gotten and knows that The Police cannot protect you and that if you are to be safe, it falls upon us to do it as the "Real First Responders".

I urge all that are able, to obtain your CCW, and carry your weapon to defend your family because the savages are coming in droves...

Agree 100% ;)

Luckily WA State is "Shall Issue" and I have carried here daily for 25 years.

Even at home, as I type this, two pistols are within my reach or in my pocket.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Well Sarge, you know how living in Illinois is like the dark ages as far as CCW. I hope they wake up soon.

Now there's an eight-year old who has his head screwed on straight. Somebody taught that kid right.

The other day, I was watching my grandsons and the oldest one, 8 years old and wise beyond his years, comes up to me and said "Grampa, I know why you carry your gun when you come over to watch us. So that you can protect us...."

He has grown up around Police Officers, with my retiring in 2009, my Son being a Deputy Sheriff, and my SIL, the boy's father, being on our SWAT Team, He sees how undermanned our Department has gotten and knows that The Police cannot protect you and that if you are to be safe, it falls upon us to do it as the "Real First Responders".

I urge all that are able, to obtain your CCW, and carry your weapon to defend your family because the savages are coming in droves...

Very smart little boy. I was listening to a friend talk about this over the weekend. The truth is I love my rose colored glasses, but I do know the police can't live in my bedroom... so I have a gun. I was told the future could get worse for our society, and I do listen to those who I consider to be wiser about the world and crime than I am. (LEO type people)... but still I want to believe everything well be rosy... makes each day prettier...

I can't speak for other LEO's in Illinois but I do know quite a few that are working diligently so that non LEO retirees can get CCW's too. I have no use for LEO's that think that their lives are more valued than John Q. Citizen.... Who probably has more firearm experience and abilities than they do.

I had a conversation with a female Copper a number of years ago when she stated that people shouldn't be allowed to own, much less carry handguns. My response was "Why should LEO's be the only ones to be able to carry a concealed weapon?" Her answer was ' In case they need to make an arrest off duty." "Do you carry your gun off duty?" She said yes and I asked her if she had ever made an off duty arrest. She said "No! And I'd never make one without backup." My response was "Then why do you need a gun?" I was baiting her at this time. She said "To defend myself in case I'm attacked." I countered with "But nobody else is granted the ability to defend themselves." she said that she was trained to use it and I told her that I have seen her shooting scores and damned near everybody I know can shoot better than she can...

She walked away in a huff when I called her a hypocrite....

I can't speak for other LEO's in Illinois but I do know quite a few that are working diligently so that non LEO retirees can get CCW's too. I have no use for LEO's that think that their lives are more valued than John Q. Citizen.... Who probably has more firearm experience and abilities than they do.

I had a conversation with a female Copper a number of years ago when she stated that people shouldn't be allowed to own, much less carry handguns. My response was "Why should LEO's be the only ones to be able to carry a concealed weapon?" Her answer was ' In case they need to make an arrest off duty." "Do you carry your gun off duty?" She said yes and I asked her if she had ever made an off duty arrest. She said "No! And I'd never make one without backup." My response was "Then why do you need a gun?" I was baiting her at this time. She said "To defend myself in case I'm attacked." I countered with "But nobody else is granted the ability to defend themselves." she said that she was trained to use it and I told her that I have seen her shooting scores and damned near everybody I know can shoot better than she can...

lol... well the voice of reason got to her.. lol.. I only used a gun once to protect myself, and I did not have to even fire it. That was proof enough for me! No way could I have made it to the phone that had the jack pulled out of the wall anyhow. Some people don't think a mere girl would pull a gun on them I guess... threatened I would pull two guns.. lol

I had a conversation with a local cop a few years back when Glocks first hit the scene.

He was carrying a Glock and I was curious.

I asked if it was a glock and he nodded.

I asked how it shot and he shrugged his shoulders.

I thought a moment and asked if he had ever shot it. He shook his head no.

I went out to the pickup and got my 657 and put it within reach.

I had a conversation with a local cop a few years back when Glocks first hit the scene.

He was carrying a Glock and I was curious.

I asked if it was a glock and he nodded.

I asked how it shot and he shrugged his shoulders.

I thought a moment and asked if he had ever shot it. He shook his head no.

I went out to the pickup and got my 657 and put it within reach.

I rest my case.........

I worked with a couple cops that were/are hypocrites, too. In the days before MO had concealed carry and a vote to allow it was pending one guy I worked with was very much against it. I pointed out that (at that time) about 38 states had CCW and there had been no blood baths to date. He said people in MO were different (huh?) and couldn't handle it. I asked what he was going to do when he eventually retired, give up carrying or carry illegally. He was going to carry anyway. idjit. BTW, as with many/most cops he only shot on training or qualification days and was only a mediocre shot.

Unfortunately lots of cops (and other folks, too) think they are better than other people and can handle responsibilities that other people cannot. It was frustrating working with people that knew police response time was 1-5 minutes AFTER the police were called, which is pretty good compared to a lot of PD's, and also knew (if they had any real time on the street) how bad things can get in the first seconds of a fight. Even an Officer in Need of Aid could expect to wait on their assist for 30+ seconds. That 30 seconds can be a lifetime.

Thank goodness MO finally got CCW. Good luck to you folks in IL.

Angus

That's on my 'to do' list - guess I'll have to qualify using my 1991A1 as I don't have the SP101 yet...(gotta focus my gun $$ on Sassy Sunshines pair of Bearcats ;) )

GG ~ :FlagAm:

We had a local PD officer come into the gun store I worked at part time. Laid his duty weapon on the counter and wanted my Boss to clean it. You could not rack the slide as the slide was rusted to the frame!

Archived