SASS Wire Forum

1860 Colt snubbie revolver

Sixgun Symphony #62632

I think they were for sale in the Cabelas catalog a few years back. They were the 1860 Colt Army percussion revolvers cut down into a snubbie revolver. I sure would like to buy one, but I can't find 'em anywhere. Perhaps I am using the wrong key words for my websearch. Can someone here post some details about this particular weapon?

Were they called Avenging Angels or was that the guys who carried them? Also remember that one of the big name gunfighters carried that style, thinking possibly Bass Outlaw(?) and might be worth a search.

Bob I think the answer is both and which came first the chicken or the egg,I think the chicken in this case,the guns from the brothers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danite

http://shawnlandis.suite101.com/orrin-porter-rockwell-a29711

Adios Sgt. Jake

Cabelas called it an 1860 snub nose revolver.

It was a standard 1860 with a short barrel.

Same grip frame but a half-fluted cylinder.

Came with a brass grip frame.

The 3 inch barrel was made special for the gun with no "ratchet holes" for the loading lever.

It came with a brass front sight dovetailed into the barrel.

Because you can't use a loading lever, it came with a brass loading dowel.

Personally, I think it is easier to remove the cylinder and use a cylinder loader like the Black Dawge or Dick Dastardly models.

I have several of these & they are good shooters.

Here is a pic:

My Avenging Angels

The two at the top are factory snubbies & I like to shoot 'em gunfighter:

Gunfighter Angels

Here is a Youtube video I found showing one:

These are neat guns and really fun to shoot.

--Dawg

Dallas Stoudemire - marshal of El Paso for a couple of years in the 1870's

Carried a full-size Colt 1860 and a Colt 1860 modified by cutting the barrel to 3". He carried both guns in leather lined pants' pockets not holsters.

Very, very cool.

Cabelas called it an 1860 snub nose revolver.

It was a standard 1860 with a short barrel.

Same grip frame but a half-fluted cylinder.

Came with a brass grip frame.

The 3 inch barrel was made special for the gun with no "ratchet holes" for the loading lever.

It came with a brass front sight dovetailed into the barrel.

Because you can't use a loading lever, it came with a brass loading dowel.

Personally, I think it is easier to remove the cylinder and use a cylinder loader like the Black Dawge or Dick Dastardly models.

I have several of these & they are good shooters.

Here is a pic:

My Avenging Angels

The two at the top are factory snubbies & I like to shoot 'em gunfighter:

Gunfighter Angels

Here is a Youtube video I found showing one:

These are neat guns and really fun to shoot.

--Dawg

That 60 you have with the birdshead grip is that an Uberti

Guys, wandering a bit but while watching the u-tube thing my eyes caught site of this, it got my attention so I looked. Darn wish the guy would at least sell plans for this contraption.

You bet. The Brits come up with some neat C&B stuff since that is about all they can shoot anymore.

I was raised by a Mormon family and am a member of the church. Porter Rockwell is one of my favorite people from the early gays and was the first Avenging (or sometimes "Destroying") Angel. I have seen any number of early Colts, almost always 1860s...or in a few cases 1851 and 1861 models...cut off to about the front of the lug. I made a Belgian 1860 into a snub-nose in 1976 before I'd seen anyone else do it with a reproduction gun. I cut mine of with a hand-held tubing cutter, crowned it with a hand-held power drill, and never put a front sight on it. It was good for 6" groups at 15 yards and that was good enough.

I NEVER heard the term "Avenging (or"Destroying") Angel" used for the guns themselves until about 10 years ago when it became a cool-sounding sales gimmick.

Dallas Stoudemire - marshal of El Paso for a couple of years in the 1870's

Carried a full-size Colt 1860 and a Colt 1860 modified by cutting the barrel to 3". He carried both guns in leather lined pants' pockets not holsters.

Very, very cool.

No, According to Leon Metz, the author of the only book on Stoudenmire, he had a pair of Colt "open tops", one of which he had cut down to carry in a leather pocket. The cut down gun still exists and is well known, but it is a Mason Richards conversion, not an open top. It is easy to see how someone who is not familiar with these guns could get them confused. In any case, I liked the cut down gun so much that I made copy using a Uberti Mason Richards, you can see it at my post on CASCITY. Years ago, I missed buying an original bobbed Mason Richards (for $350!!!) which eats me to this day. The repro was the next best thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some eye candy for all you snubbie lovers (like me!)

Real Angels:

snubbie display at gunshow

Check out the Walker/Dragoon snubbie in the left image -- Too cool for words!

Avenging Angel

--Dawg

Archived