SASS Wire Forum

Getting a full load in a .45-70 ain't easy!

Pulp, SASS#28319

Turns out my rifle has a very short throat. Bullets seated anything past the crimp groove won't chamber, or only with difficulty. I loaded a few tonight with a 60 grain charge, an overpowder card, a lube cookie, and a over lube card, still have to compress the powder quite a bit to seat the bullet down to the crimp groove.

How much does the average gunsmith charge to ream out the throat a bit more? I'd like to seat bullets out a bit more than just the crimp groove.

Thats the nature of the beast so to speak in terms of the chamber design but you should be able to get 65 grains at least. Or it could be the bullet has an oversize driving band. What rifle are we speaking of, whose bullet, and are you dropping the charge? Even vibrating the charge down will help. Using a compression die?

Need much more detail........What rifle, what bullet, what powder???????????

I can easily get full load of 3F Goex in a .45-70 case. Just use a compression die to compress the powder and then seat the bullet.

NEVER COMPRESS THE POWDER WITH A BULLET :excl:

Cheers,

LG

I load for an oridgeinal 1873 Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70. I use a 500 grain Montana Swaged bullet, and 65 grains of Holy Black.

I use a compression die and compress the load after pouring it down a brass tube to .002 " and put in a powder card and insert the bullet with 3 big grease groves in it.

Works just fine for me.

H&R Buff Classic. Tonight I used a drop tube for the 60 grain load. I'm using Coke 12 pack to cut overpowder cards. I don't have a compression die yet, but expander die does pretty good when I put a card in first.

Many (40+) years ago when I first started loading the 45-70 I wanted a 45-70-500 load I got 2ed hand a Saecoo mold for a 510 gr truncated cone gas check slug and when I ran them through the lubrisizer to lube and seat the bass check I had to use a lot of force due to the wheel weights I was using rather than proper 20 to 1 or 30 to 1 which I now use the result was the I did not realize that I was bumping up the forward bore riding part of the bullet so that the rolling block loads I was making (70grains compressed and crimped just in front of the first driving band) would not chamber... took a bit of head scratching to suss it out but when I corrected the alloy and heated the sizer the problem went away

H&R Buff Classic. Tonight I used a drop tube for the 60 grain load. I'm using Coke 12 pack to cut overpowder cards. I don't have a compression die yet, but expander die does pretty good when I put a card in first.

SOoooo, how much compression are you using?

Get a compression die from Buffallo Arms Co. (BACO). You won't regret it at all.

What powder do you use? Try 3F, it works GREAT and burns cleaner than 2F or 1F in these cases.

I compress a little over 3/8" for both my .45-70 & .45-90.

LG

SOoooo, how much compression are you using?

Get a compression die from Buffallo Arms Co. (BACO). You won't regret it at all.

What powder do you use? Try 3F, it works GREAT and burns cleaner than 2F or 1F in these cases.

I compress a little over 3/8" for both my .45-70 & .45-90.

LG

Finally gittin' 'round to replyin', been sorta busy. Anyway, I'm glad to see you can compress as much as 3/8", that sounded like a lot to me.

But it really doesn't matter whether I use 1 grain or 100, since if the bullet is seated any longer than the crimp groove, it's gonna jam up against the lands. Just a plain old standard three groove 405 grain bullet.

Finally gittin' 'round to replyin', been sorta busy. Anyway, I'm glad to see you can compress as much as 3/8", that sounded like a lot to me.

But it really doesn't matter whether I use 1 grain or 100, since if the bullet is seated any longer than the crimp groove, it's gonna jam up against the lands. Just a plain old standard three groove 405 grain bullet.

Sized to what diameter?

Why are you using a "lube-cookie"? Ya don't need it ;)

That 405 should carry plenty of lube in the grooves. Mine do ;)

I use a .060 fiber overpowder wad and "pan" lube the bullets with DGL BP lube.

I'm using Goex BP and it like lots of compression, .375"-.400" is not uncommon.

I go buy powder weight, not volume.

Just load and crimp at the crimp groove(that's why it's there)......NO big deal B)

Cheers,

LG

Turns out my rifle has a very short throat. Bullets seated anything past the crimp groove won't chamber, or only with difficulty. I loaded a few tonight with a 60 grain charge, an overpowder card, a lube cookie, and a over lube card, still have to compress the powder quite a bit to seat the bullet down to the crimp groove.

How much does the average gunsmith charge to ream out the throat a bit more? I'd like to seat bullets out a bit more than just the crimp groove.

You just need a bigger hammer...They did it in the late 1800...You have more tools and better background...You will figure it out...And the saloon...

Texas Lizard

There wuz the comment . . . "Why are you using a "lube-cookie"? Ya don't need it."

It is a good idea to have a wad under the bullet to protect it from the heat that can deform the base. Whether that wad is lubed or not.

Re. . Getting the powder in. . . . . . drop tube, . . vibration, . . then compression die.

For good advice on loading these big ones start visiting over at the "Billy Dixon - Long Range Shooting Society". :)

here.

Archived