SASS Wire Forum

.22 Cowboy shoot

Rye Miles #13621

Just wonderin whadyall think of a .22 Cowboy shoot? .22 revolver SA and .22 lever rifle. Maybe on a weekday or when there's no regular shoot to go to. I got the idea from watching Midway's Wednesdays at the range and the Ruger Rimfire Challenge. Could be a great time to get some young'uns out shootin with us old cowboys and introduce them to our sport.

Rye

We do a monthly shoot that has 22's and regular cowboy shotguns. Everyone has a great time. On the weekends when we camp out we do "Beach Chair 22's". We set up a bunch of clay targets, suspended eggs, etc and then start down the chair line. each shooter takes one shot. Miss next shooter. the next shooter gets to start the sequence. Fun, no trophies, and a significant amount of verbal jousting.

Ike

We've got a .22/,410 category for Men and Women at Thunder River Renegades. Since we don't give an overall, just category winners, it' doesn't screw up scoring. Actually, most of our shooters that shoot this category and a regular category are slower in the .22/.410 category maybe because the shotgun knockdowns still have to go down, so you have to get your shotgun together!

It's a fun break, but your spotters have to pay attention!

We have had 22 matches at Baker Oregon and yes the times are slower than the center fire matches. You would think the opposite, or maybe were just not that good with our 22s. The hits and misses are no harder to tell than with the main match guns. Be prepaired for some dud round seem like there are more now days. Bullett 19707

Guest diablo slim shootist

We offered a "Double Deuce" category ever since the primer shortage scare a few years ago.

A few people shot it-did not put them in the running for top gun just put them in as we do

our other 2& 3 gun categories as "also ran" ;)

Rye,

I must have been watching some of the same "shooting TV" that you have. Our club, Los Vaqueros of Tucson is working on coming up with a side event that is .22 cal only with lots of interesting targets. I've heard that there are quite a few other clubs that have this type of event. We have a couple of cowboys who are collecting and making lots of different targets, kind of like a "shooting gallery" of long ago. We plan to offer it at our February match (a two one day event) in Tombstone at the Livery.

To tell you the truth, I had never thought of using the .22s for the main match. Dang, now I'll have to find another single six! Oh well, more guns to pass on to the grand kids! Happy New Year to all!

Buckeye Pete :FlagAm:

Uncle Frank at the North Alabama Regulators has an 8 stage .22 range shot Cowboy 2 revolvers and a rifle.

They been doing it for a couple of years...

Uncle Frank at the North Alabama Regulators has an 8 stage .22 range shot Cowboy 2 revolvers and a rifle.

They been doing it for a couple of years...

We shoot a monthly 8 stage 22 match, on the 1st Saturday of the month. It started life as a Cowboy 22 shoot. And morphed into a .22 shoot with three division's Cowboy, Limited, and Open classes. We now also host the Ruger Rimfire Challenge Alabama State Championship, and a Cowboy .22 shoot prior to Ambush. It has been simply amazing how many youth and new shooters that we have gotten competitive shooting with this format. And a number of them are now shooting the Big Bore's with us as well!

In Valdosta Ga we have hosted a Rhinestone Rimfire Roundup. It started out as a 22 cowboy match and morphed into a 3-gun 22 match

pistol, rifle, and single-shot shotgun.

We allowed 2 single-action pistols, or 2 revolvers or a semi-auto

rifles - lever action, or any action with a 10-round capacity

shotgun - any gauge - single shot only

This was shot with SASS type scenarios. It was a lot of fun. we'll probably run one this year sometime

Wow, that sure would save on the ammo cost, especially for those of us that don't load our own. My Henry 22 will hit the center of a 3" disk every time at 60' and with a monkey like me shooting, that is a big time testament to that great little rifle.

Archived