SASS Wire Forum

Reclaimed shot.

rustyfinger 22618

Nothing wrong with reclaim shot.

I use almost all reclaimed shot.I haven't found anything mixed in with it but one bag I got wasn't graphited.I used an empty 1 lb plastic powder bottle,added some powdered graphite and just rolled it around on the floor for a minute or two.It doesn't take much of it to coat the shot.Worked fine through my MEC.Is it worth it; I think so.Got mine for $15 ($10 for the last one) for a 25lb bag compared to $30-40 for new shot;the price at my only local shop.

I use almost all reclaimed shot.I haven't found anything mixed in with it but one bag I got wasn't graphited.I used an empty 1 lb plastic powder bottle,added some powdered graphite and just rolled it around on the floor for a minute or two.It doesn't take much of it to coat the shot.Worked fine through my MEC.Is it worth it; I think so.Got mine for $15 ($10 for the last one) for a 25lb bag compared to $30-40 for new shot;the price at my only local shop.

Thank you ,i have not found it that cheap.but cheaper than new.Rusty

:ph34r:with shot hitting fifty bucks a bag herea bout,I"m gonna make my next purchase reclaimed shot.I found a source AFTER I had bought and opened a bag of new stuff...of course.

Be careful who you buy from. I bought 50# of "reclaimed" and had about 20% of it is small rocks. You can't sift it out as it is about the same size as the shot. The sand was easy to sift out.

Everytime I see someone bring in reclaimed shot to a match, I buy it. Haven't seen any for a while, but I think I have two bags left. They were $20/ea and I see no difference for what we shoot at except price.

In our game, shot makes up about 40% of the lead we sling downrange.

120 rounds, 55+/- per pound of lead = 2+ pounds/per match, shot 24 rounds (4 x 6 stages)= 1 1/2 lbs.

Since I shoot .45s, my percentage is more like 30% shot.

All that said, at the distances typically used in SASS matches, it doesn't make any difference what you use as long as it gets the job done. If you find a deal on shot from whatever source, grab it.

i dont think you should use reclaimed shot. it could have rocks, sand, variable shot sizes, deformed pellets, lack graphite and who knows what else. if youre on the west coast Please stop buying that nasty stuff so the price goes down :D:D:D

i use it for cas, trap and skeet. the only thing use new for is bird hunting. best of luck with it partner.

Not sure why anyone would shoot steel at a trap and skeet range, but we typically see about half an ounce of steel in every bag of shot mined from our range. Easy to clean out with a big magnet before use, but I suspect it's the reason for some deep pellet sized dings in our targets and some pretty energetic bounce back if you don't...

Usually get reclaimed locally (and mix w/ a real bag of #6 ... (to help with the edge hits))... but ... I did notice this one ... (saved the link ... thought it might be of use sometime ... when all else fails).

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/lead_shot_reclaim_clean.htm

(noticed their price has been inching up a bit the last couple of months ... low $30s ... to almost $40) :(

Archived