SASS Wire Forum

Tayrloring question..

Apache Hawk 60642

A very good pard to ride the river with has given me a 1934 West Point Military Acadeny coat.

It's full lenght and warm in the winter time. Heavy as can be, all wool, double breasted, button down cape, and the collar has 3 hooks to keep it closed. And it's gray in color with 2 black stripes on each slevee.

A relative of this Pard was going to make it into a duster to cover a saddle and has spilt the back seam up to about the wast.

With that split, it will fit me but the question is; Do y'all know of any places to git it fixed so it will fit me ?

I know there is alot of wisedom here in the Saloon, so could y'all point me in da right direction ?

Least after I finsih dis drink !

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy Hawk, my best advice is go to a professional tailor, go more tell them you have in mind and get several quotes. After you get the prices go with your gut feeling on who you liked best.

Regards and Happy New Year

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Howdy Hawk, my best advice is go to a professional tailor, go more tell them you have in mind and get several quotes. After you get the prices go with your gut feeling on who you liked best.

Regards and Happy New Year

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Another choice would be to check out the drama department, or clothing design department of a college or university near you. There should be some very capable people to help you. Or they may be able to direct you to someone.

Ok. At least it's a start.

This is a piece of history. A name is in the tag that this coat was issued to, but it's faded so these old eyes can't read it even with glasses.

I really want this coat fixed.

Thanks for yur help.

Y'all two have a drink or tree on me. ;)

Another thing you might to is to ask the question on Belle Alley. It is a costuming site started by SASS members for costuming advice/help/discussions etc. The folks there may know someone in your area that is qualified to do such work. I wouldn't leave that piece of history to just anyone. If there isn't anyone in your area, would you be willing to ship it? I know several Alley members that are excellent seamstresses but live in the Denver or San Fransisco areas for example. Belle Alley

Just a thought......

Another thing you might to is to ask the question on Belle Alley. It is a costuming site started by SASS members for costuming advice/help/discussions etc. The folks there may know someone in your area that is qualified to do such work. I wouldn't leave that piece of history to just anyone. If there isn't anyone in your area, would you be willing to ship it? I know several Alley members that are excellent seamstresses but live in the Denver or San Fransisco areas for example. Belle Alley

Just a thought......

Calamity Kris, I tryed 5 times to register but no luck. I don't know even what site to go to ! :angry:

Could, I mean......will you do it for me ? When it comes to sewin', i'm bleedin all over the place and just fill a little embrassed in front of all those lady folk ! :blush:

If you will do this for me, just copy my post and send it along, ok ? PLEASE !!! :unsure:

I'm gonna hate myself fer dis, ....but............I'll be in yur debt if you will ! :D

Any good tailor should be able to fix it, but since it's not replaceable, I'd sure investigate the tailor's work and ask around.

Had a problem recently with a coat. It was split in the back as a "riding" coat, but it's a frock coat in form and function. Love the coat, and it's made in the USA, which is rare these days. An elderly woman I found through word of mouth took a look at it, because I don't want my coat split like a hospital johnnie. She fixed it, and it looks pretty good. The split is there, but she put a patch of black wool fabric under it and hemmed the edges so it looks like it's supposed to be that way if you don't know any better. It doesn't open anymore, and the fabric is split in a taper now, so that patch of fabric shows in a triangle. I considered having it embroidered with a paisley pattern or having a concho put in, but it'sd good enough for now.

I'm not sure they can make that coat of yours look like new, but putting the fabric behind it and hemming the cut edges might make it functional. Hell, I'd wear it. If nothing else, have gold embroidered in it in a saying you like or have combat laurels put in gold along the fabric. I doubt anyone would pick at that patched split if there was a nod to the men who fought along it.

Just two cents and a fix that worked for me if they can't make it new again.

Regards-

H.H.

Archived