SASS Wire Forum

my third shoot

evil dogooder

Well I managed to make it to my third official shoot.

Fairly cold. It was 33° with 24 mph wind, but it looked as though everyone had fun.

Surprisingly my hand held up with for my first attempt at shooting gunfighter. Depending on how you look at it I either did really well or pretty bad. I took first in the category... but I was the only one shooting it :) I still managed to make it almost half way up the pack overall. Which I though was ok as I had never fired my revolvers before. I did manage one stage clean though.

Id like to thank all those who have helped get me to this stage. Especially wolfgang. All those other great people who helped with gear and encouragement I owe such a debt of gratitude that I don't know how I will ever repay!

So all I can say is drinks are on me

Respectfully

Evil Dogooder

Glad you had fun.that is what matters the most.Did your better half go with you.It only get better the more you go the more you want to go.

ALLRIGHT ! ! :lol: :lol:

Bottles, set me up wif a dirty glass wif a buffaler horn in it wif a bottle of Bulliet !!

Evil, I never had da hankerin' to shoot gunfighter as I can not keep up wif my place ! ;)

But it's good dat you made it to da middle of da pack. Dat a way, you can say yur good and you can say yur bad and not be liein ! ;)

See da logic in dat ? Naw.......no need to tank me now.........I'll collect on it later ! B)

Yeah it was a blast but I kept having issues with my 92. I thought I just suck but from talking to guys with more knowledge and experience than me I learned I'm out shooting it and either need to slow down or get a 73/66. So if anyone knows of a really batteted beat up ugly but reliable one for cheap or would trade for a interarms 92 src 357/38 let me know please

My new to me evil roys worked great. I just have to get used to light triggers and those darn short barrels

What is the OAL of you loads for you rifle. The lenght has to be right for a 92.

What is the OAL of you loads for you rifle. The lenght has to be right for a 92.Unless you are really fast you cant outrun a 92.

What is the OAL of you loads for you rifle. The lenght has to be right for a 92.

Not sure. Factory loaded lrn I know I'm supposed to use flat points but nobody carries them in lead near me. I haven't started loading yet. When I slow down to about 8 seconds for rifle they feed just fine. But I have to make sure I use a full deliberate stroke when I get a caliper ill check the length. The box doesn't say

I cant outrun the 92 I have now with 1.543 OAL.I am not really fast but Possum Skinner is fast and he can outrun it but he can run it really fast.I have 73 that is super smooth and fast but I still love the 92s.The OAL needs to be 1.50 for a 92.

ALLRIGHT ! ! :lol: :lol:

Bottles, set me up wif a dirty glass wif a buffaler horn in it wif a bottle of Bulliet !!

Evil, I never had da hankerin' to shoot gunfighter as I can not keep up wif my place ! ;)

But it's good dat you made it to da middle of da pack. Dat a way, you can say yur good and you can say yur bad and not be liein ! ;)

See da logic in dat ? Naw.......no need to tank me now.........I'll collect on it later ! B)

Too bad ya missed the shoot today. We had a soup contest and wedding cake. Plus a long johns contest. Although they disqualified me. Sonething about having to wear them... I guess sleeping in the buff don't count as pjs :)

Anyway I'm trying to get off for your monthly get together

I cant outrun the 92 I have now with 1.543 OAL.I am not really fast but Possum Skinner is fast and he can outrun it but he can run it really fast.I have 73 that is super smooth and fast but I still love the 92s.The OAL needs to be 1.50 for a 92.

Good to know ill try a shorter cartridge. Hopefully that makes the difference!

Thanks a lot I really don't have the funds for a new rifle.

Dream of one.... but my dreams are bigger than my bank account. Someday ill get one. I'm not even picky id just like a rifle with a long barrel 92 or 73. I love my saddle ring carbine but those long barreled rifles just make me drool!!

No wolfgang I don't!! Thank you so much for the amazing gift its a beautiful belt! I showed mindy you letter and we are going to try to make it out to the ranch this year. Hopefully when your shooting something. Thank you ever so much for your kindness. It really shook me to the core. If there is ever a way I can repay you just say the word!

Delete. I did not read the next post.

Thanks for the offer pit bull but do to the extreme kindness of the wire I have my shotgun covered now. Although if you wish to sell it let me know I took my parents with today and I'm pretty sure ill get them into shooting by this fall.

My mother suprised me most. Due to her seeing someone killed in nyc when she was young she has been very anti gun most her life. Over the last few years I've been trying to show her guns aren't evil. Now the only thing holding her back is she thinks everyone will get mad at her if she shoots slow.

Today when the shooting was done and everyone else was inside she asked if she could try a few shots. You could have knocked me over with a feather. So naturally I scrambled to find something she would enjoy shooting. She tried a few shots, said she likes it, but can't do it because everyone would be mad if she took two minutes a stage

No wolfgang I don't!! Thank you so much for the amazing gift its a beautiful belt! I showed mindy you letter and we are going to try to make it out to the ranch this year. Hopefully when your shooting something. Thank you ever so much for your kindness. It really shook me to the core. If there is ever a way I can repay you just say the word!

Glad it got to yur, . . .sorry it couldn't get thur in time to be under that tree on Xmas morning :mellow: . . . it tuck me a bit to come up with one with .38 loops in it :huh: . . . I've got a whole milk crate overflowing with extra leather that I've got "on the cheap" and it is all .45 caliber, none .38.

Glad it got to yur, . . .sorry it couldn't get thur in time to be under that tree on Xmas morning :mellow: . . . it tuck me a bit to come up with one with .38 loops in it :huh: . . . I've got a whole milk crate overflowing with extra leather that I've got "on the cheap" and it is all .45 caliber, none .38.

That's ok. To me the thought means more than the day it was recieced!

Too bad ya missed the shoot today. We had a soup contest and wedding cake. Plus a long johns contest. Although they disqualified me. Sonething about having to wear them... I guess sleeping in the buff don't count as pjs :)

Anyway I'm trying to get off for your monthly get together

Well, I don't see why.....I did it all da time ! :lol:

I found out about the match too late and sides, des old fingers don't work on a good day, much less on a cold day.

Now, if you can't get off, that's fine. Just trying for the 2nd weekend in Jan.

Apache

If your not busy the 28 they are having another shoot. Plus a chile cook off.

I understand about the hands though... I've been soaking my hand ever since I came home. Injurys and cold weather don't mix well.

... I took first in the category... but I was the only one shooting it...

Welcome Evil.

First in your category, only gunfighter, it still counts! :)

I made the ten a few times...yep there was ten or less Shooters that day!

Fun ain't it!

I'm guessing you're shooting 38's in your 92?I had a Rossi 92 that didn't like 38's if I tried to run it fast.Switched to 357's and it ran as fast as I could with no troubles.It seemed to like the almost 1/8th of an inch longer overall length.

Well I looked into the 92 today. After checking it out quite thoroughly I found that the carrier? (Lifter thingy) was hanging up if I didn't throw the lever HARD. Is this something that can be fixed? I did a deep clean on it which seemed to help a little. It never did this before. Could I have broken a spring or something? It works fine if I run it slow but if I go fast it hangs up sometimes.

Apache

If your not busy the 28 they are having another shoot. Plus a chile cook off.

I understand about the hands though... I've been soaking my hand ever since I came home. Injurys and cold weather don't mix well.

I take it dis is Jan 28th at Morristown ? :unsure:

What time ?

And a chile cook off ? Well, ifin' I can't hit da target, at lest I can feed my belly ! :lol: :lol: ;)

Well I looked into the 92 today. After checking it out quite thoroughly I found that the carrier? (Lifter thingy) was hanging up if I didn't throw the lever HARD. Is this something that can be fixed? I did a deep clean on it which seemed to help a little. It never did this before. Could I have broken a spring or something? It works fine if I run it slow but if I go fast it hangs up sometimes.

I'm a '73 person rather then a '92 person . . . but it would seem that there is something a little rough in the internals. My buddy in Visalia had roughness in his '92s action. He was going to send it off to Nate. But then he got a "big loop lever" for it. Put in the big loop lever and in doing so found that the origninal lever ( part of it that doesn't show) had too marks on it and had never been polished. The replacement big loop lever was all polished. With the new lever in it worked slick as snot. Some simple things make a BIG difference. :)

I take it dis is Jan 28th at Morristown ? :unsure:

What time ?

And a chile cook off ? Well, ifin' I can't hit da target, at lest I can feed my belly ! :lol: :lol: ;)

Its at kimbal about 15 min south of st cloud. I ll send ya an email on the details

I'm a '73 person rather then a '92 person . . . but it would seem that there is something a little rough in the internals. My buddy in Visalia had roughness in his '92s action. He was going to send it off to Nate. But then he got a "big loop lever" for it. Put in the big loop lever and in doing so found that the origninal lever ( part of it that doesn't show) had too marks on it and had never been polished. The replacement big loop lever was all polished. With the new lever in it worked slick as snot. Some simple things make a BIG difference. :)

The one and only 73 I shot I really loved. But as of now they are a little out of my range. My 92 works well normally so I've stood by it so far. Ill try to get a breakdown on the gun so I can take it apart... or rather put it back together after I take it apart.... ill see if anything needs to be smoothed out. I sent an email to nate to see when he could get it in.

Well I did better than I thought. They e mailed tge results and I placed 11th out of 27 with only .16 of a second out of the top ten. Now I need to practice with my new revolvers and solve this rifle problem.

Evil, your life as you knew it is now over.

Clear out the trappings of other hobbies to make way for reloading equipment and cowboy gear. Dreams of sugarplums? Forget about it, Rugers and Colts and Ubertis are now the subjects of dreams, and fast clean stages.

Vacation destinations? Forget the beach, unless there is a match nearby. Reminds me, I need to call and make motel reservations for next November, the closest motel to that match fills up fast.

Hang on and enjoy the ride.

Grizz

Thanks for the offer pit bull but do to the extreme kindness of the wire I have my shotgun covered now. Although if you wish to sell it let me know I took my parents with today and I'm pretty sure ill get them into shooting by this fall.

My mother suprised me most. Due to her seeing someone killed in nyc when she was young she has been very anti gun most her life. Over the last few years I've been trying to show her guns aren't evil. Now the only thing holding her back is she thinks everyone will get mad at her if she shoots slow.

Today when the shooting was done and everyone else was inside she asked if she could try a few shots. You could have knocked me over with a feather. So naturally I scrambled to find something she would enjoy shooting. She tried a few shots, said she likes it, but can't do it because everyone would be mad if she took two minutes a stage

Tell mom that won't happen with that great bunch you shot with. Won't happen at the WOWS range either, if you drive a few miles east to shoot with us. First shoot is always free here. Hook up with some of those varmints :rolleyes: you shot with if you need a guide to find us. Ask for me and I will personally see that you and mom; if she comes; are made welcome! :)

Marty Mudd

Evil, I shoot close to two minutes a stage sometimes and never less than a minute a stage. Sure I get made fun of, but its not the mean kind of making fun, but the good natured ribbing you get from friends that like you. I doubt even that will happen to your Mom until she has shot for a while and by then she'll know them well enough to give it back to them in spades!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Evil, your life as you knew it is now over.

Clear out the trappings of other hobbies to make way for reloading equipment and cowboy gear. Dreams of sugarplums? Forget about it, Rugers and Colts and Ubertis are now the subjects of dreams, and fast clean stages.

Vacation destinations? Forget the beach, unless there is a match nearby. Reminds me, I need to call and make motel reservations for next November, the closest motel to that match fills up fast.

Hang on and enjoy the ride.

Grizz

And Allie sed,... "What Grizz said!"

Yep . . .yur hooked fur GOOD,.... :excl::)

Well as I started looking into the 92 I found all kinds of metal shavings in the action so I think I'm better off sending it to soneone who knows a little more about fixing these.

Marty I showed my mother your message and all she said was "well it looks like I have to find me a name" so it looks like my wish of having a family passtime might happen. My father already likes shooting cowboy.

Looks like I neeed to learn this reloading thing because I'm going to need a buch of ammo

Archived