SASS Wire Forum

Do you have a .25-20?

Old Scatterbrain

I had a 32-20 once. It was an Australian trainer rifle. Nice gun but I rarely shot it.

Russ

That seems to be a more popular cartridge; you can still find new rifles so chambered. I haven't found any new .25-20 offerings, and ammo and brass both are rather expensive. It is odd because, depending what forum you visit, you can find alot of people shooting the .25-20.

I think I want one, but it would be difficult for me to shoot or carry a centenarian rifle, even if it already had dinged-up wood and bare metal.

My Grampaw had one, a Marlin 1894, when I was a kid. It was out "Deer Rifle" in Arkansas. My uncle has it now and I have spent the last 40 years trying to talk him out of it....

I have one. It is a fun caliber. It is a necked down 32-20.

The bolt face on a 357 is not the same as the 25-20 if my memory serves. That could cause feeding and extraction problems.

Check the cartridge head sizes to see how close they are before proceeding. You can find good deals on original Winchester 92s and Marlim 89 & 94s.

It was out "Deer Rifle" in Arkansas.

Don't be making up tall tales. There is no way such a puny little cartridge could kill a deer.

Heck, even the .30-30 won't unless you put the muzzle right against the forehead, and then it

is the blast more than the projectile which does the deed.

I have one. It is a fun caliber. It is a necked down 32-20.

The bolt face on a 357 is not the same as the 25-20 if my memory serves. That could cause feeding and extraction problems.

Check the cartridge head sizes to see how close they are before proceeding. You can find good deals on original Winchester 92s and Marlim 89 & 94s.

I already checked and, yes, the .357 has a larger rim as well as a larger base. The OAL is

(virtually) identical. I do know that old 32-20's have been converted to .357 so I thought the

reverse might be possible. Of course it is easier to remove metal than to add, assuming that to

be necessary.

Don't be making up tall tales. There is no way such a puny little cartridge could kill a deer.

Heck, even the .30-30 won't unless you put the muzzle right against the forehead, and then it

is the blast more than the projectile which does the deed.

Pard, Our smokehouse was always full of venison from that rifle. We never took a shot more than 30 or 40 yards and most times, would shove that little lead bullet in the eye socket.... No running.... No ruined meat...

We learned to hint.... Not snipe....

It does not appear to me that anyone makes a .25-20 anymore; is that correct? How difficult would it be to convert a .357 model 92?

I have a Winchester 1892 in 25.20 that I use BP subs with, and I don't and won't use it at 'lost' brass matches.

Brass can be rare, extremely rare, and $$$ to boot.

Only found one or two casters who cast 25.20 commercially, extremely affordable prices to boot.

Was gonna try it with Cowboy Silhouette, but read that cast 25.20 can be highly inaccurate at long range.

Usually use it when a monthly has a Wild Bunch day.

If memory serves me right the world record whitetail was taken with a 25-20. Too, the biggest elk was popped with a 30-40 Krag. But as stated these are too little for the task. ;):P

I had one, a minty model 25 Remington pump with lyman tang sight. Beautiful rifle but the bore was very rough likely due to blackpowdr or corrosive primers. It had set in a safe for the last half century. If I ever get another it'll be one of the old Savage bolt sporters.

I really prefer the 32-20 but all of them are fun.

Their a few Marlin CL 1895 out their, I just happen to have 2, one I made a long mag tube for it the other is stock, aw hoot to shoot, and VERY accurate with either cast or hp jackets... you will have to make a load for it, fact ammo to costly but midway has boco brass...

I have the 1894 in 25-20 that my Grandfather got in trade for a Colt SAA back prior to the first depression. I used to carry it around the ranch when I was a kid because it was a step up from a 22 single shot rifle and it was small enough for me to handle. I quit carrying it about the time I was in junior high and could handle a full size bolt rifle. I have shot it in a couple of matches over the years just for fun. I have also shot it in long range pistol caliber side matches. Brass is expensive and hard cast bullets are a little tough to find. I have a stockpile of both.

Lots of memories in that rifle. The caliber is not anything to write home about though. My sons and nephew still love to shoot it and they are in their 30's now.

Will

If memory serves me right the world record whitetail was taken with a 25-20. Too, the biggest elk was popped with a 30-40 Krag. But as stated these are too little for the task. ;):P

Heck, if you keep up with the gun rags game has gotten a lot tougher over the past two or three decades. Heck, the 30-06 will barely take a squirrel now-a-days. A .300 Ultra-Mag will barely do the job on small deer.

I have a 25-20 rifle and a saddle ring carbine. Both are Winchester 92s. The kids use them but they are kind of a pain to load for. Being that they are bottle neck cartridges you have to or should trim them after sizing. I don't do that with the straight wall cases ie: 45s, 38s, 357s and 32 H&Rs. I got a mold and started casting my own bullets as they are hard to find commercially. Brass is spotty to find. Seems like they make it once a year and then there is a run on it. Not much kick so the kids find it a real pleasure to shoot. The carbine is a lot handier to shoot as the rifle is heavier being a hexagon barrel and longer. There are some out there in the market but from what I've seen lately, as late as last week, they are going for around $800. I would think a good smith could sleeve a barrel of a 357 but I would still be leery of the lifter even if the length is similar. I wouild think it wouild be easier to shoot 38 special with the bullet seated to the length of a 357. I think I've heard that done. YMMV.

I don't endorse the following actions, but I was there. Back in 1969 a now deceased friend of mine and I were driving around Hebgen Lake by West Yellowstone, Mt. on an old logging and cabin access road. He had a moose tag, but we were hunting ducks. We came around a curve and there by the side of the road was an old bull moose. My buddy had an old 25/20 winchester hanging in the back window and he jumped out of the truck and grabbed that rifle. I said," you're not going to shoot it with that are you". His response was "it's all I have". He worked his way into the timber while I distracted the bull and commenced to drop it with one shot between the eyes. Like I said, I don't approve, but I was there.

MTJ

The 1st rifle my uncle bought before he went into the army during WW2 was a 25-20.It was a Remington pump and he took quite a few Mulies and Whitetail with it.He said a body shot wasn't recommended,but a neck shot dropped em where they stood.And until the early 70's (I think),the 30-30 had taken more game than any other caliber made.That was surpassed by the 06.

The 1st rifle my uncle bought before he went into the army during WW2 was a 25-20.It was a Remington pump and he took quite a few Mulies and Whitetail with it.He said a body shot wasn't recommended,but a neck shot dropped em where they stood.And until the early 70's (I think),the 30-30 had taken more game than any other caliber made.That was surpassed by the 06.

Howdy,

Can you use 32-20 brass, by trimming the brass and necking down the the brass to make a 25-20 catridge?

KK

Howdy,

Can you use 32-20 brass, by trimming the brass and necking down the the brass to make a 25-20 catridge?

KK

It can be done but if I were going to try that I'd anneal the casses to keep them from colapsing. As it is the brass would most likely wrinkle but if it isn't too bad you could use them as is or fire form them after down sizing.

I have an old remington pump in 25-20. I have put maybe 10 rounds through it. However I will always have room in the safe for it because it was my grandfathers.

It (25-20) was once touted as the ultimate turkey gun. Enough punch to get the job done, accurate at turkey hunting ranges and not noted for destroying a lot of meat.

Dang, you guys all have the guns and no ammo and I have the ammo and no gun! :blink: Can't afford the ones I have seen. A lot of them are like yours, been in the family and passed down and since it is an older cartridge caliber they don't make them anymore, at least I don't think so.

Bought the box of ammo about 2 years ago at the local gun shop when I got the gun from my Uncles estate. Wasn't hard to find. There are 2 25-20 rounds. the common one(25-20 winchester?) and there is also a 25-20 single shot. A friend of mine has a Stevens 25-20 Single shot that was his Grandfathers. That one was very hard to find ammo for. J-r

Bought the box of ammo about 2 years ago at the local gun shop when I got the gun from my Uncles estate. Wasn't hard to find. There are 2 25-20 rounds. the common one(25-20 winchester?) and there is also a 25-20 single shot. A friend of mine has a Stevens 25-20 Single shot that was his Grandfathers. That one was very hard to find ammo for. J-r

15 years ago I had a bag full of 25-20SS(single shot) and is not anything like Winchester 25-20 WCF. Back then they were worth $1 each, empty.

Big Jake

Archived