SASS Wire Forum

Santa Left a Winchester 38-55

Lightning Will, SASS#56934

Santa left me a Chief Crazy Horse Winchester 38-55, some bags of new Starline brass, and a box of Bear Valley 255 grain bullets. Anyone have some "pet" loads they use that they'd be willing to share? I'm really interested in learning if anyone has tried using Trail Boss. Please email me directly if you can help at: bilnalpine@cox.net :)

LW

I tryed Trail Boss , using published data , It was not the load for me , changed to Acc 5744 , so much BETTER :)

Still fine tuning loads ,

CB

+1 for the 5744. Very accurate load, powder is NOT position sensative. I use standard large rifle primers, mags not needed. Very good load data is available.

Great Christmas present!!

Al

I shoot four 94s in 38-55 and have good results with both ACC 5744 and IMR 3031 using several different lead heads.

I have been using the Laser cast 240 gr bullet. They are harder - I think they are 21 or 22. I use 4198 powder at 1600 fps, and have no leading to speak of. Our daughter had never shot the rifle before, and sat down and proceeded to hit a buffalo sized target 7 out of 10 times at 900 yds. So much for the theory that the 3855 is good only out to 3 or 400 yds.

I really like Reloader 7 in this caliber ...

Low exteeme spreads and is able to push good bullets out the barrel with good to great accuracy at speeds between 1,400 and 1,900 Fps.

I have a Deer/Elk load that tops 1,900 with plain based cast bullets,with-out leading the bore ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived