SASS Wire Forum

Had the day off and did some jeweling.

Ketchum Quick, SASS #72923

The process of jeweling is boring but the results can be pretty cool. These are going on a Beretta Renagade '73.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff486/33jayman/IMAG0183.jpg

Any way, if you get a chance to try jeweling it is pretty easy and when you get it down, the results are worth more than the effort.

Ketchum Quick

Howdy Ketch,

Really fine work. Like some other commenters, I applaud you for doing on the inside of the gun. Now in the bolt of a fine bolt gun engine turning looks great, but I think that on a cattle drive era gun it looks out of place. Even when it is as well executed as your examples. There is some gunsmith the that does the hammers on cowboy guns that he has slickered. It really looks just wrong.

That's just my opinion, but I'm just saying,

Reverend Chase

Griz, them's the insides of the side plates. He jewels em fer they hold the oil better. I hope he don't start jeweling the outsides.

Looking at the pics again I see that you are indeed correct, my bad!

Like Rev, I'm not a fan of exposed jeweling on cowboy guns. But on the insides to hold oil better more power to ya!

Well, Harvey likes it! (Sorta like "Mikey likes it", but a lot older :lol: )

I'm always impressed when I open up old items (watches, etc) where the maker took the time to do something beautiful as well functional (like jeweling or engraving) on th inside, where only pros would see it.

I would not like jeweling on the outside of my '73 sideplates, but I do appreciate it on my SAA NV hammers, done by the unmentionable smith ^_^

Harvey :FlagAm:

Ketchum,

Can you explain the processs in doing this.

Paladin,

I make a slurry of silicone carbide and oil and coat the surface to be jeweled. I uses special brushes to make the swirl marks. The brush is chucked up in my drill press and I have a milling vice to hold my custom jig which in turn holds the side plate. I start at the back and bottom of the side plate and make a row of these swirls up the part. I turn the crank to move the part one and a half turns per mark to get even spacing.

I

When it is done, I wipe it down with a rag and then hose it down with carb cleaner. After that I put on a coat of gun oil.

I for got to mention that you have to polish the part first. You get better results if you do this. It used to take me about 2 hours a side to do the whole process but now I have it down to about an 2 hours for two plates.

I started Jeweling rifle bolts and have been doing that for rifle that I work on. In fact, here is a link to a picture of the rifle and it's bolt that I jeweled.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/kentdep/100_0540.jpg

I agree that jeweling doesn't look period correct on the guns that we use and for that reason I don't jewel the parts where you see it under normal circumstances. I do have Rugers that have jeweling on the outside, hammers and triggers, and I don't think it looks out of place too much. :)

Ketchum Quick

I think it looks great! Nice work. Oh ya, if you need practice to get your time down, I can send you some parts! I just want to help you hone your skills:)

You wouldn't like my Hammers then!!

Jeweled hammers and triggers ain't too bad, in fact my Marlin has just that, I was just saying that in general I wouldn't have it done to my cowboy guns. On my marlin it was that way already.

At a gunshow about 20 years ago I found an otherwise all original excellent condition .69 cal. Belgian smoothbore musket, period-converted to C&B from flintlock. I say otherwise all original because the lock plate had been jeweled by some enterprising soul. Because of the jeweling, I was able to get it for $250.00. I took it home, removed the jeweling, cold-blued the lockplate and had a like-new .69 smokepole. I used it for reenacting the Mexican War for a while, then sold it for $550.00 and thought I'd turned the deal of the century. Wish I'd kept it... :-(

I think it looks great! Nice work. Oh ya, if you need practice to get your time down, I can send you some parts! I just want to help you hone your skills:)

Your work is excellent.. but I agree with Lead Ringer...

I wish I could help ya hone yer skills too :blush: Just hammers and triggers :mellow:

Oh Yeah.. you can take more than 2 hours if needed :rolleyes:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' nice job..

I love doing jeweling. And I just found the best brushes for this. The little brushes RCBS sells for cleaning primer pockets. I've been using one for a few months now and it's done hours a jeweling and still going strong. Everything else I've tried simply falls apart after an hour or so.

Your work is superb! And interior jeweling does show up on antique firearms all the time. The europeans have been doing it on fine shotguns and double rifles forever..........I bet there might be a couple of 1873s floating around that had certain internal parts jeweled back in the day..........

years ago, say circa 1971-2, I worked in a machine shop, one of the tool and die makers taught me using a round stone cylinder, just chucked up the stone in a drill press for eyeballing. A bridgeport milling machine would allow better pattern control

I love doing jeweling. And I just found the best brushes for this. The little brushes RCBS sells for cleaning primer pockets. I've been using one for a few months now and it's done hours a jeweling and still going strong. Everything else I've tried simply falls apart after an hour or so.

Your work is superb! And interior jeweling does show up on antique firearms all the time. The europeans have been doing it on fine shotguns and double rifles forever..........I bet there might be a couple of 1873s floating around that had certain internal parts jeweled back in the day..........

Thanks for the kind words and the tip on the primer pocket brushes! Excellent idea. I looked at the ones that I have on hand and they look like they would be great for the job.

Ketchum Quick

Heee Haaa Ketchup.. Looks like that might hold enough Ballistol ta last a whole match.. ;) Nice job.. :D Even though your the only one that knows its there.. ;)

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Archived