SASS Wire Forum

What would happen if...

Grizzly Dave

You had a paper origami box, and inside you had several table spoons of smokeless powder, with still plenty of air room, and then you threw the box into a campfire?

How about if you did the same thing only it had black powder in it?

Would the results change if flame was applied to only one point of the box? Would the box pop from the expanding gases of the powder burning?

You had a paper origami box, and inside you had several table spoons of smokeless powder, with still plenty of air room, and then you threw the box into a campfire?

Would the results change if flame was applied to only one point of the box? Would the box pop from the expanding gases of the powder burning?

Too many variables to tell with the smokeless. Some powders if you give them any confinement at all will sorta go boom. I had put some in a tuna can once, tossed in a match and, while it didn't exactly BOOM, it was a lot more energetic than the usual slow burn you get when you burn it in the open.

Black powder would likely do its usual FOOSH!

Actually, the question should be, "If you had several table spoons of black powder in an origami box and threw the box into the campfire, and you got outta there before anything happened, would there still be one heckuva noise if nobody was there to hear it?"

The second part of the question is, "How much H@!! would your wife give you even though she wasn't even there?" :blink: Don't ask me how she'd find out! All women are clairvoyant! :angry:

That does not sound like a very interesting experiment. Why don't you include a little vial of nitroglycerin . . . stay real close as you apply it to the flame so that you can make a careful observation, . . . report to us about the result. :wacko::huh:;)

.Depends on how tightly sealed the box was. Generally you'll just get a fast burn with the BP and a slow one with the smokeless. I(f a hole burns through in one location you'll have a mini rocket on your hands.

best to do it with snow on the ground so the neighborhood don't burn down.

I suspect some Chinese fell asked a similar question several centuries ago...and the rest, as they say, is history. :lol:

.Depends on how tightly sealed the box was .... If a hole burns through in one location you'll have a mini rocket on your hands.

I can attest to that.

When I was a kid me and some friends made up a batch of black powder and packed it into a metal band-aid can. Not having a proper fuse, we punched a good sized hole in the can and used a paper straw filled with powder to use as one. Set it on a cinder block in the back yard, lit it, and ran around the corner of the garage to watch.

It sat there and fizzed for a moment, and instead of exploding started burning and jetting thru the hole. Bounced all over the yard belching sparks and smoke. Was actually kind of neat.

My Dad, who was sitting on the back porch reading the paper, having a glass of iced tea, and listening to an Indians' game on the radio happened to look up. "Jesus Christ! What the hell is that!?"

Thus ended our pyrotechnic experiments.

'Bout 800 square yards.

You're gonna need more that one can. :D

Calcium carbide and water. Pour in the carbide chunks, use a hose to flush it deeper into the tunnels, wait a few minutes, run some fuse, or rig an electric igniter like for a model rocket, on a long lead, punch the button and watch the runs blow up.

Archived