SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone used cast bullets in a 3rd Model Dragoon revolver?

Sixgun Symphony #62632

I have only used ball in my Uberti reproduction 3rd Model Dragoon revolver. I am wondering if it will work with 255gr weight cast bullets made for the .45 Colt. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?

Generally this won't work for a variety of reasons. A couple being that cast bullets are usually an alloy and are too hard to force into the chambers and conicals for a C&B have a recessed (heeled) base to help start them in the chamber. Bullets for cartridge guns don't have this recess and it is almost impossible to get them started in the cylinder.

Generally this won't work for a variety of reasons. A couple being that cast bullets are usually an alloy and are too hard to force into the chambers and conicals for a C&B have a recessed (heeled) base to help start them in the chamber. Bullets for cartridge guns don't have this recess and it is almost impossible to get them started in the cylinder.

Thanks for the heads up.

There is a bullet that folks use in their ROAs - EUG? It's a Big Lube type - low weight but more than a ball 160gr? Short enough to stuff in and self lubed.

Somebody chime in and help me here ....

CR

There is a bullet that folks use in their ROAs - EUG? It's a Big Lube type - low weight but more than a ball 160gr? Short enough to stuff in and self lubed.

Somebody chime in and help me here ....

CR - you are thinking of the Big Lube EPP-UG, 155 grains. This bullet is fine in the .44 cap and ball guns, usually. It has a rebated base (to make them easy to start in a C&B cylinder) and a round nose.

Here's one of the casters who makes them with soft lead, suitable for C&B loading:

http://hstrial-mwhyt...om/BigLube.html

It carries a little more weight than a ball, so it dings a little better. Usually lubed with SPG or other BP compatible lube. Springfield Slim will treat you right, if you order from him.

Of course, you can get the Lee 6 cavity mold from Dick Dastardly and cast them your own self; use soft lead or maybe 1:40 alloy.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ - That's the one I' thinking of. Do you know if they'll work in my Remies?

Plus one for Springfield Slim. Always been a good pard to do business with. Getting ready to order a few thousand for the winter reloading!

CR

That's the one I' thinking of. Do you know if they'll work in my Remies?

Your Remington's are .44s and you are loading them now with ..451 or 454 balls? Then those bullets would work fine. MAke sure they are cast of soft lead.

Good luck, GJ

Archived