SASS Wire Forum

Just found out I'm a "fanatic."

Yesterday, my wife's family came out to the farm to see the new house. All of them live in major metropolitan areas, so coming out to the country is something out-of-the-ordinary for them.

During the tour of the house, they saw the "bunkhouse," where I keep all my old cowboy gear and reloading bench. They looked at the boxes of ammo stacked up...and then the comments started flying. "Look at all of those bullets! What are you afraid of....some of your neighbors coming in to steal your food or something? You trying to start a war of your own? What are you?...some kind of fanatic?"

I tried to explain that I shoot at least 200 rounds of ammo each month and like to have enough on hand to attend an annual match or several monthly matches. Still, the remarks and weird stares kept coming.

For the final leg of the tour, they made their way out to the mule barn and the tractor barn. They wanted to see real live "farm animals." One of them happened to notice my box traps and some of the other traps I had hanging on some pegs in the old tractor barn. "What on earth are those for?" she asked. I explained that we had an over abundance of foxes, raccoons, and skunks that made regular attacks on our hen house. "Well," she continued, "what do you do with them after you catch them?"

"I shoot 'em," I replied, "then I bury 'em in the compost pit."

You would've thought I was a child molester or something. "You do WHAT!!!??" she practically screamed.

"I shoot 'em and bury 'em in the compost pit...or sometimes out in the back pasture, whichever is closest."

When they left, they all kissed my wife good-bye, slowly shaking their heads with that "you poor dear" look.

So, if Badger Mountain Charlie's tab is still open, better pour me out a large root beer. I think I need it.

Yesterday, my wife's family came out to the farm to see the new house. All of them live in major metropolitan areas, so coming out to the country is something out-of-the-ordinary for them.

During the tour of the house, they saw the "bunkhouse," where I keep all my old cowboy gear and reloading bench. They looked at the boxes of ammo stacked up...and then the comments started flying. "Look at all of those bullets! What are you afraid of....some of your neighbors coming in to steal your food or something? You trying to start a war of your own? What are you?...some kind of fanatic?"

I tried to explain that I shoot at least 200 rounds of ammo each month and like to have enough on hand to attend an annual match or several monthly matches. Still, the remarks and weird stares kept coming.

For the final leg of the tour, they made their way out to the mule barn and the tractor barn. They wanted to see real live "farm animals." One of them happened to notice my box traps and some of the other traps I had hanging on some pegs in the old tractor barn. "What on earth are those for?" she asked. I explained that we had an over abundance of foxes, raccoons, and skunks that made regular attacks on our hen house. "Well," she continued, "what do you do with them after you catch them?"

"I shoot 'em," I replied, "then I bury 'em in the compost pit."

You would've thought I was a child molester or something. "You do WHAT!!!??" she practically screamed.

"I shoot 'em and bury 'em in the compost pit...or sometimes out in the back pasture, whichever is closest."

When they left, they all kissed my wife good-bye, slowly shaking their heads with that "you poor dear" look.

So, if Badger Mountain Charlie's tab is still open, better pour me out a large root beer. I think I need it.

Slim old Pard, I have a few choice words I would have said that I know you never would say to those city slickers. Where did you end up there in Utah

I could not be that nice to inlaws or outlaws.

Shux... in either northern or southern (but NOT central) California you woulda made the six o'clock news...! :huh:

Shux... in either northern or southern (but NOT central) California you woulda made the six o'clock news...! :huh:

Yeah, but that is in California. California has all kinds of celebrities. You live in California, and

we all know you as a celebrity. I am trying to work up the nerve to ask you for your autograph. :)

Slim old Pard, I have a few choice words I would have said that I know you never would say to those city slickers. Where did you end up there in Utah

Shoer, we wound up in Mendon, Utah, a real nice community of about 1,200. My mom lives in Logan, just a few miles away, so we figured it would be nice being closer to family again... but after yesterday's experience with my wife's family, I'm not so sure. :wacko:

Yeah, but that is in California. California has all kinds of celebrities. You live in California, and

we all know you as a celebrity. I am trying to work up the nerve to ask you for your autograph. :)

Celebrity??? :lol:

Notoriety, mebbe...!! :rolleyes:

Archived