SASS Wire Forum

Hey, Subdeacon Joe

Not to hijack Hardpans thread any more, I moved over here to tell you about knots and fishing.

There are actually only three knots that I feel are paramount to fishing. That is the Palomar knot, the Uni knot and the Perfection knot.

The Palomar knot and Uni knot are used to join lines, add hooks, or fasten line to reels. The perfection knot is used for making leaders that can be attached quickly and will not slip. Some folks tie a perfection knot in the leader and also in the main line and then simply attach as a hoop and thread deal.

Sounds about right. I just never knew the names of them. It's fun to know a bunch of different knots, but you can get by with just a few.

Other than fishing, I think you only need to know a few. Overhand knot, square knot, sheet bend, bowline, clove hitch, and truckers hitch (leverage sheepshank) will see you though most situations. Oh, throw in a larks head.

That pretty wells covers it.

One of the problems with fishing knots is that they keep coming out with new line formulas. Now they have the cat's whisker, fluorocarbon which does not hold a knot well. Hence the Palomar and Uni knots.

For years, with monofilament, I used the fisherman's knot with little or no trouble. Now they will slip if you use a fluorocarbon leader or a braided line.

The Perfection knot has been reliable though. I learned to tie it for flyfishing leaders, back in the 1970's and have used it with success ever since. It seems to work with all lines.

You would think that the ability of a line to hold a knot well would be a major consideration in developing new lines. At some point you HAVE to have a knot in it. Yet they keep coming out with stuff that holds knots the way a fork holds water.

Boy Howdy, I must be gettin' old...! :huh:

I still think in terms of the Clinch Knot, Improved Clinch Knot, and the Nail Knot~! :blink:

Oh... and the Blood Knot, too...

Uh... I think I still had a nipped basketball needle or two in the bottom of my [now stolen! :angry: ] tackle box, left over from "nail knot" duty back in the olden days... :rolleyes:

Berkley did a video on knot strength several years ago. They tested all of the knots with different lines to see which would hold up the best. I forget the results and figures, but the two that came out best were, you guessed it, the uni and the Palomar knots. It think they ranged in the 80% to 90% range. The others were between 30% and 65%. Ok for a small pan fish, but when that fish of a lifetime or a mad steelhead is on the line, I would like to go with the higher numbers, please.

Also, both of these are easier for me to tie than the blood knot or the nail knot.

Archived