SASS Wire Forum

School me on spurs please...

Grizzly Dave

So UPS brought a late Christmas gift from Miz Grizz to me, a pair of spurs!

Now I know I need some spur straps. And they don't fit over the heels of my boots so I'll have to bend them out a bit, I can turn a clamp around to a spreader to do that. What else I need to know?

See if this pic works

Yep, you can drive. Done it many a time. I like the chain in front of the heel to help keep the spurs in place. Lots of places to buy spur straps. Just Google it up. I got a nice pair from a fellow at the OOWSS Annual this year. I find the sizes run small. I buy extra-large, and I wear a 12E boot.

Where is a good place to get spur straps? Can you drive in spurs?

N I C E !

Get E.E. Taft or one of the other leather craftsmen to make you a set of straps, and if you have some 'artwork' on your holsters, get them to match it on your spur strap.

As big as those spurs are, they will fit more comfortably, and stay in place better with a chain/strap on the bottom.

An interesting choice of rowels. If they were about a 1/4 inch longer and sharpened, you would have a set of Mexican fighting spurs. My granddad could saw a 2x4 in half in about a minute with his - on his boots.

Tull

I have driven in my spurs with no problems. If you feel uncomfortable or if they limit your movement, by all means take 'em off and put 'em back on when ya get to the shoot.

Turn your feet sideways as you go up or down stairs. This will keep the rowels from givin' you a thrill ride you'll never forget. Don't ask how I know this, but lets just say there is a rather large indentation in the ground at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the front door of NAR headquarters that is called Lake Bama Red after a good rain. :lol::o:P:lol:

When you run....... Be real careful if you use a crossover step!

It's easy to go UP stairs...... Not as easy to go DOWN stairs.

Spurs and wood chairs are enemies.

And lastly ------------------

The older you get, the harder they are to put on and take off!

I prefer a chain in front of the heel, but many don't use them. It really helps to have a pair of boots with a spur shelf at the top of the heel to keep them in place. I don't know where to find the chains, as all of mine came with chains attached.

I can loan you a pair of straps until you find the perfect set. I've got a couple of extras. I'll bring them with me on Saturday.

Stairs, squatting, and walking on mamma's wood floors are just a few of the things to remember when wearing spurs. You may have to slow down from your normal break-neck speed until you get used to shooting with them on.

GW

Congrats on the new spurs, Grizz. You really don't need the chains. Some folks go without completely. Others will attach a small leather strap instead of the chains (that's what I do). To each his own. Wear 'em in good health.

As to straps...NRS (National Ropers' Supply) carries a wide variety of spur straps at very reasonable costs.

As for spreading them...All the ideas mentioned will work. I've even used a properly placed rag and vicegrips. Sometimes even just used plan ol' might! Bare handed and all!

As for straps, just let one of us know what you need. There's no lack for great leather talents here 'bouts!

~EE Taft~

You can look on ebay for spur straps. A lot of vendors and leather workers us Ebay. One in mind is Cowtown Katie. Klondyke does a really good job working the leather and will customize them for you. Pricing is real good and work quality is excellent.

Never, I repeat NEVER wear them on the dance floor around ladies in ballgowns :angry:

I saw a cowboy get his spurs caught up in the lace on a ballgown,and rip it he never even knew it and so he didn't apologize. Ruined a beautiful dress :(

Yes there was alchol involved.

Have rode all my life. Never had a need for a heel chain at all.

Infact. Seems like it makes it much harder to drive or go down stairs with

that on there. Just never seen the need to have them. Maybe if I was riding bulls.

Yes I would want them then. But if they fit you boot right. You just don't need them.

And for SASS. Where you might be going down stairs on the clock??? Or just getting to and from

stages. There is no need. With them chained down. Much more likly to make you trip.

And NO. My spurs do not ride up.

I ride. So want my buckles to the outside.

Mine and the wifes spurs. (hers has the JCC on it) Have had, and rode with mine for 30 years.

And in that 30 years is the only pair I have every used. Was givin to me by a horse owner at a cutting. One of the best, most used gifts I ever got.

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/anvilal/?action=view&current=SpursandKnives001.jpg

Kind of fuzzy. And you can barly see them hanging on the boot.

But here is me and old yeller looking at a deer across the creek.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/anvilal/AnvilAlYeller-2-1.jpg

T-Bone has been trying to buy him from the first time he seen him.

But the wife won't sell him. :wacko:

So UPS brought a late Christmas gift from Miz Grizz to me, a pair of spurs!

Now I know I need some spur straps. And they don't fit over the heels of my boots so I'll have to bend them out a bit, I can turn a clamp around to a spreader to do that. What else I need to know?

Dave,

Some cowboys use a piece of wire under the heel; you wrap it around one strap attachment, run it under the heel, pull it as tight as you need it, and wrap it around the opposite strap attachment. Not for 'B Western' cowboys, but to me it looks pretty cool, and seems somewhat authentic. If you don't have a spur shelf on your boots, it's a real good way to get the spur tied down tight enough to not hang down in back. If you do have a spur shelf, obviously you don't need it. (Attach the wire after getting the strap comfortably fitted.)

Ornery Cuss

There was a bit of a stink a few years back because some of the B-Westerners were wearing their spurs with the rowell forward on top of their boots. They justified this by showing that the vaqueros would switch their spurs to the forward position when they visited the hacienda to keep from ruining the "Lady's" floors so the forward position was historically correct.

Naw, didn't work. They got shouted down.

Well, I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to the subject, so I consulted Mrs. Doc, who has ridden the vast majority of her life, and rides Quarter Horse competitively. Her opinion is that chains are an affectation in most instances, and she votes against wearing them. I can say they are certainly not commonly seen at horse shows. I had to ask her about them and I have been going to horse shows with her for nearly 25 years. She also suggested wearing them for a bit and deciding what you like regarding their movement and fit.

As for the spur straps, she suggested going with a strap with a wide bib.

Oh, and out of curiosity, who was the maker?

The Maker is Abetta.

Poor Miz Grizz didn't know you needed straps and apologized that they weren't ready to wear right out of the box. I told here that finding just the right straps was half the fun.

If you're first cousin twice removed from Sasquatch, like me, and have 14EE feetsies, ya may have to get your spur straps custom made. I had a pair made out of buffalo hide that fit me just fine and they didn't hardly cost more than the off the shelf ones.

Had a horse back in the day, her sole mission in life was to cripple me, came close a couple of times. Still have my saddle and tack, though it's loaned out and who knows if it will ever come back, kinda hope so, makes good decorator pieces :D

Had a horse back in the day, her sole mission in life was to cripple me, came close a couple of times.

Like Sherlock Holmes says, they're dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle... :blink:

As several have mentioned, the chains are not really necessary if the spurs are properly fitted to your boots. Remember a little bend goes a long way! :)

If you just want some straps to wear for CAS you can get cheap ones at Murdochs or any place that sells cheap spurs. Good quality working straps and spurs can cost a little bit and are worth every penny. IMHO

BTW I have been riding with Dominguez and company with their cattle and in 15 years have only seen one set of chains.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Be Very Careful!!!

2007 EOT I was shooting B-Western and got my spurs tangled an stumbled all the way across the stage before catching myself on a prop! Thanks goodness I was supposed to be going that way and was carrying my rifle with me to stage there!!! :unsure:

Haven't shot B-W or worn spurs while shooting since!!

Never, I repeat NEVER wear them on the dance floor around ladies in ballgowns :angry:

I saw a cowboy get his spurs caught up in the lace on a ballgown,and rip it he never even knew it and so he didn't apologize. Ruined a beautiful dress :(

Yes there was alchol involved.

They're not too good on bed sheets either :lol:;)B)

TF

As far as the bed sheets go, I find they greatly improve traction - especially on satin sheets! :lol: :lol: :o:lol: :lol:

Archived