SASS Wire Forum

A Classic

Subdeacon Joe

Intoxicated Rat was written by Dorsey Dixon and recorded by Dorsey and his brother Howard Dixon as the duo, the Dixon Brothers in 1936.

Dorsey sings lead and Howard sings harmony on this original, 1936 version of Intoxicated Rat. Dorsey also plays in his signature guitar-style and Howard is playing his Hawaiian lap, slide guitar, (which Howard was quite well known for at the time).

Intoxicated Rat probably got more radio airplay than any other Dixon Brothers release.

Dorsey later played Intoxicated Rat when he performed at The Newport Folk Festival in 1963 & the song was a huge crowd favorite. The Newport performance was preserved on vinyl by Vanguard Records.

I have three other Dixon Brothers & Dorsey Dixon songs uploaded here on YouTube and more biographical information about them on these other videos.

Check out my YouTube profile for: Babies In The Mill and Wreck On The Highway for more of The Dixon Brothers wonderful, historical recordings.

This cut was originally released in 1936, but it is now also available on CD.

CD Information:

Document Records

DOCD-8046

Dixon Brothers

Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order, Vol. 1, 1936

Newport, RI was my home town and I remember the annual folk and Jazz Festivals. I remember going to church one morning with my folks and finding National Guard Soldiers, with M1 Garands on the street corners enforcing a curfew imposed by the town after a riot erupted on Saturday night at Festival Field. That had to have been 1963 or 1964 because we were walking to church then.

Newport, RI was my home town and I remember the annual folk and Jazz Festivals. I remember going to church one morning with my folks and finding National Guard Soldiers, with M1 Garands on the street corners enforcing a curfew imposed by the town after a riot erupted on Saturday night at Festival Field. That had to have been 1963 or 1964 because we were walking to church then.

How about 1960?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/2010/07/riot-closes-newport-jazz-fest.html

Archived