SASS Wire Forum

Need Help with an Alias

So Ms Brimstone surprised me with a Christmas present... a pipe holder/humidor of sorts, but seated atop the box is a li'l goblin she had made for me. Cute fella, wearin' a campaign hat! Now I need suggestions on a name for the rascal!! :rolleyes:

Da Goblin

OH... and he smokes, too! ^_^

Suggestions~? :)

Little Jake !

Just saying . :lol:

Ha!

Keep 'em comin'...! :)

So Ms Brimstone, sitting on my sofa and letting her gaze wander about the living room, just made the observation that "You can sure tell that this is a guy's home...!"

[That'd be yours truly and Sassparilla Kid]

"Just look at the Christmas presents!"

[Grill accessories, campaign hat, welding helmet, couple of slag hammers and such]

"Uh huh... your whole house is definitely a 'Man-Cave!'"

And by the way... the Kid and I gave Ms Helen a new surf rod and reel. ^_^

Ain't life grand~! :lol:

What kind of surf rod and what kind of reel?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Name for the gnome, Lead Foot.

Charlie, it was simple and inexpensive - utilitarian... a 12' Daiwa rod and "Okuma" reel. Suggestions on line would be appreciated, too! :rolleyes:

"Lead Foot" is in the hat! ^_^

I don't see why you people are talking around the obvious. That's Utah Bob after a LOOOONg night.

I don't see why you people are talking around the obvious. That's Utah Bob after a LOOOONg night.

:lol::lol::lol::P

Aw, that's a no brainer, Hardpan. Just look at the little guy. He's practically the spittin' image of Percy Garris, the Bolivian mine boss who hired Sundance and Butch in the movie. (Historically, there really was a Percy Garris who actually did hire the two outlaws during their stay in Bolivia, but I'm not sure if he looked like Struther Martin or not.) I'm just afraid if you look at that little guy long enough, he's gonna spit a stream of tobacco juice at you and exclaim, "Bingo!" :lol:

Charlie, it was simple and inexpensive - utilitarian... a 12' Daiwa rod and "Okuma" reel. Suggestions on line would be appreciated, too! :rolleyes:

"Lead Foot" is in the hat! ^_^

What kind of reel, Open face spinning, or perhaps a casting reel? Open face is easier to master and

longer casting, usually. There are no absolutes in fishing.

Casting off a beach with a 12 foot rod will take some work. But that is what it is for. As far as line goes, there are two basic lines I would recommend. Monofiliment and fluorocarbon. I guess it depends on what you are fishing for. Stripers in the salt?

Monofiliment will stretch and that is not good for hook set. Monofiliment will not sink as fast as Fluoro.

Monofiliment is tough line and abrasion resistant.

MONOFILIMENT IS CHEAPER THAN FLUOROCARBON.

If I were hunting Stripers, I would go with about a 25# mono with a soft and limp line. Less tangles with a coffee grinder reel. That said, I am not a salt chuck fisher.

Charlie, it's an open-face. If I recall correctly, the capacity chart on the side sez (among other things!) somethin' like 220 yds 20 lb mono.

My reel (also an open-face) has some sort o' braided line - not sure what it is, as it was on the reel when I bought it used, but it casts like a dream.

I'm a streams and lakes guy, but occasionally we'll be hitting the beach (2 - 3 times a year), mostly for perch, flounder-type fish and the like. Gonna be in Cayucos in a couple weeks... folks want a fish dinner - good thing there's a decent fish market in nearby Morro Bay! ^_^

Hmmmm.... Need to check my calendar - Chorro Valley might be havin' a shoot that weekend, and that's right near Cayucos! :)

The braided lines are very good, but expensive. I am old fashion and I use Mono on all of my reels.

Braided lines do not take a memory like mono and do cast great. I guess you pays your money and takes your choice. In the braid, I would say Fireline is a good choice. I never did like the spiderwire.There is another that is supposed to be the cat's meow, if you believe the hype. It is Suffix line. I believe that is the name of it. Might look into that. It would take a leader though, for that I would use Fluorocarbon in say ten pound test for perch.

Check Cabelas' web site for fishing line and see what they offer. They are usually up on the good stuff. You could take it to a tackle shop and have them load the line for you. All they do is charge you for the fill. Line gets put on correctly.

Knots are an issue with the super lines and fluorocarbon lines also.

If you can tie the Uni knot and Palomar knot you are good to go

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Yoda's crazy cousin... Cousin Elwood Yoda... known fer his Galactic-gas and moonshine substitute. Creator of one of the best known phrases in the Universe....

"May the farts be with you."

ts

Archived