SASS Wire Forum

A Dickens of a Good Drink!

Subdeacon Joe

"A merry Christmas, Bob! Said Scrooge, with an earnestness that could not be mistaken…I'll raise your salary, and endeavour to assist your struggling family, and we will discuss your affairs this very afternoon, over a Christmas bowl of smoking bishop, Bob!..."

We have all read or heard those words many times. But what the dickens is "smoking bishop?"

I finally broke down and looked it up.

Smoking Bishop

• Take six Seville oranges and bake them in a moderate oven until pale brown. If you cannot procure any bitter Seville oranges, use four regular oranges and one large grapefruit.

• Prick each of the oranges with five whole cloves, put them into a warmed ceramic or glass vessel with one-quarter pound of sugar and a bottle of red wine, cover the vessel, and leave it in a warm place for 24 hours.

• Take the oranges out of the mixture, cut in half and squeeze the juice, then pour the juice back into the wine.

• Pour the mixture into a saucepan through a sieve, add a bottle of port, heat (without boiling), and serve in warmed glasses.

• Drink the mixture, and keep Christmas well!

If you don't drink wine, substitute pomegranate juice for the wine and port. Or maybe just for the wine and use cherry juice for the port.

Another recipe.

http://www.stormfax.com/bishop.htm

Uses two bottles of red wine.

Another recipe with some variations:

http://www.food.com/recipe/smoking-bishop-198856

However, I would not put acidic fruit on aluminum foil even if I plan on discarding the foil.

I think that is more than a single serving, Bob. ;)

I'll just sip the port and eschew the other stuff. :lol:

Archived