SASS Wire Forum

I need advice about how to pick a attorney

Seldom Seen #16162

After doing some research into Kansas unemployment laws and the appeal process I have decided I need a lawyer. So how do I go about finding a good lawyer that specializes in unemployment appeal cases other that picking a name out of the telepone book? Is there some type of referral or evaluation service for lawyers?

I sure this question comes up for other type of cases also.

Do you know any lawyers from any other legal matter?

They often network and know of others in other fields.

Do you have any friends/relatives etc in the area that have used a lawyer who could give the same reference?

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

:rolleyes: GOOGLE: lawyer labor laws <your state> ;)

After doing some research into Kansas unemployment laws and the appeal process I have decided I need a lawyer. So how do I go about finding a good lawyer that specializes in unemployment appeal cases other that picking a name out of the telepone book? Is there some type of referral or evaluation service for lawyers?

I sure this question comes up for other type of cases also.

Glad you are going to fight their appeal Seldom

First check the state bar, if you cannot do that get in contact with another lawyer, they'll offer recommendations. If you cannot do that then get a hold of a good college and try to find a law professor and explain the situation, many times they know the exact lawyer you need to talk to. I do that when I'm in trouble.

What exactly does the State Bar Assocation do? Do they have a rating system for lawyers? I am not after a lawyer, I am after a GOOD lawyer. Since I am going up gainst a hugh multi-million corporation I need the best I can afford.

I want to win my case. There is a rather large amount of money involved here which will put me in dire straits if I lose.

Also there are some legal issues involved which potentially lead to me filing a civil lawsuit against my former employer. A good attorney may be able to draw these facts out during the hearing.

Most localities or counties have a bar association. If you can locate the number, contact them for a list of attorneys working in employment / labor relations law. If they are unable or unwilling to help you, contact friends and family for recommendations. If all of that fails, pull out the phone book, and look there. Many attorneys will allow for an initial consultation that is free. During that, you can size the attorney up, see if he or she seems to know what's what. If you don't feel comfortable, then walk. If you do, see if you can get a couple of references, or look online to see if you can find positives or negatives posted.

There has been some good advice. This is what I would do.... If you don't have a tax attorney or know an attorney. Ask a friend the name of their attorney. From there call the guy and ask him who he would recommend that would be the best for your needs. I'm fortunate that there are several attorneys at my club and they can readily tell who to call for whatever need.

Just my two scents.

KK

To find a good divorce attorney, most guys want the one their ex-wife had the last time around. :lol:

Seriously, presonal referrals are usually the best source for good lawyers. Check with others who have been in your shoes

Hi Seldom,

I did some Googling and found the following Website. http://employee-benefits.lawyers.com/Employee-Benefits/Unemployment-Compensation.html.

They recommend a "Labor and Employment Lawyer." This is definately a specialty. Like tax issues, not just any lawyer will do. Tax and Payroll Tax lawyers are not always interchangable either. Your posts indicate you are aware of that. Following their links, I found this site for Texas, http://www.lawyers.com/Labor-And-Employment/Texas/browse-law-firms-by-city.html

Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Where are you located in Kansas?

I used to practice there, in Topeka. The local Legal Aid Society might handle your case ~ being unemployed and denied unemployment you probably meet their income guidelines. They are really good at this stuff, having more experience at it than any general practitioner:

http://www.kansaslegalservices.org/

Legal Aid, in Kansas, handles civil matters for people who cannot afford an attorney. Not the same as criminal defense.

If, perchance, you do not meet their income guidelines, they will refer you to someone who practices in that field.

My experience, both working for Legal Aid and in private practice, is that representing an employee in a denial of unemployment is like shooting fish in a barrel. The fact that an employer is trying to evade employee protection laws illegally is easily apparent, and pi$$es off the administrative law judges; if appealed, the director looks on a cheating employer as scum.

Buena suerte, amigo!

eGG

Archived