SASS Wire Forum

No Cheer For Christmas

I know that most celebrate this time of the year. However, it was about this time, 1994 that we took my Mom to the hospital because she was unable to get up. I was looking at the heart monitor and saw "Congestive Heart Failure". The job has given me too much experience and education from Doctors and Nurses.

I called my sister and told her that she had better come to the hospital as this time, Mom wasn't coming home. She lasted less than 26 hours before she died. I was told a few hours before she died, just after she slipped into a coma that her cancer had come back for the third time. yep! She died on Christmas day. To top that off, my wife's sister died on the 22nd of December and we were out taking care of funeral arrangements on Christmas Eve.

I hadn't been able to even poke my head out during Christmas, preferring to work, even if I switched my day off so that somebody that would enjoy the day off, got it. I refused to give any positive comments on the holiday seasons until 2003 when my first Grandson was born on Thanksgiving night. My 2 Grandsons are the only thing keeping me together at this time of the year.

People, spend your day together with your loved ones as if it will be your last one together..... It just might be.......

Hay Pard your mom did head home to Jesus !

Maybe you can see her again some day .

My momma went home too.

And one day i will see her too.

Christmas day was my mommas Birthday so its a said day but a happy time .

GOD BLESS and Merry Christmas to all of you .

May God Bless you and yours this Christmas.

I understand what you are going through, my father died of a massive heart attack Christmas night 1975 at the age of only 52.

On December 22 1990 I responded to a fire call with entrapment. I was on my way home from work and due to a massive snow storm I took a portable radio home with me, and heard my partner calling for help. We managed to pull one child out of the home before a fireman responded from his home and found the second child who was not breathing. We got the child who was 18 months old breathing again and placed him in my 4x4 and raced to meet the ambulance that was stuck in the snow. We didn’t make it and Derrick died in my car.

Like most officers I handled more holiday suicides and fatal crashes than I care to remember. Christmas is not a holiday I look forward to, maybe someday those demons will remain in the past.

Good luck and God Bless

Many people have memories of unpleasant episodes during Christmas. And birthdays, Easter, and almost any other time to be truthful. Life can be cruel. The best thing is to talk about them with one who can help. Sometimes that's a family member and sometimes a professional counselor. I encourage everyone with haunting memories to get help and eventually maybe make their way back to enjoying times instead of remembering the past pain.

My heart goes out to you.

My Daddy passed July 6th, 1994. I know that's not anywhere near Christmas time, but let me tell you this:

My GreatGrandPaw died at 102, and my GrandPaw died at 101 and my Daddy died at 55. He was really out of it most of the time he was in the hospital, because of the treatment he was given.

But the night before he passed he looked at me and said to me, "Hawk...Don't want no cryin'. I'm going home !"

I broke down as I left his room.

I know that most celebrate this time of the year. However, it was about this time, 1994 that we took my Mom to the hospital because she was unable to get up. I was looking at the heart monitor and saw "Congestive Heart Failure". The job has given me too much experience and education from Doctors and Nurses.

I called my sister and told her that she had better come to the hospital as this time, Mom wasn't coming home. She lasted less than 26 hours before she died. I was told a few hours before she died, just after she slipped into a coma that her cancer had come back for the third time. yep! She died on Christmas day. To top that off, my wife's sister died on the 22nd of December and we were out taking care of funeral arrangements on Christmas Eve.

I hadn't been able to even poke my head out during Christmas, preferring to work, even if I switched my day off so that somebody that would enjoy the day off, got it. I refused to give any positive comments on the holiday seasons until 2003 when my first Grandson was born on Thanksgiving night. My 2 Grandsons are the only thing keeping me together at this time of the year.

People, spend your day together with your loved ones as if it will be your last one together..... It just might be.......

Brought my wife home yesterday after a bout with congestive heart failure. We dodged a bullet on this one, thank God.

I'm sorry your outcome wasn't as good.

Though Christmas is a season of joy for so many it also is a sorrowful time of year for others - I guess all I can offer is prayer for you and your circumstances.

Please read Isaiah 9: 1-7 if'n ya have a Bible handle. Comfort can be had in God's word at times...-_-

God bless pard...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

After my Dad passed Christmas Day I was pretty much a stick in the mud about Christmas. Well two grand kids and a passel of great nephews and nieces made a big change in this curmudgeon!

Last night at my brothers the adults were socializing upstairs while the 11 nine month to seven year old's were downstairs playing and watching children's videos..................................oh yeah there was a 61 year old down there too!

Merry Christmas Sarge!

Sarge, you've been given some good advice here. But no matter how good it is, you won't be able to use it till you're ready to use it. Do yourself a favor and give yourself permission to take that advice and use it.

Until then, Sarge, please have a very Merry Christmas!

I understand, Sarge. Between 2 Apr '09 and 1 Apr '10, I buried my wife, mother-in-law, and mother. Father and sister were already gone. That makes things kinda lonely this time of year.

I might have consumed too much of a certain 18 year old beverage on Christmas Eve.

Yrp! That was the year from hell. I lost my Mother, Sister In Law, Godfather, 3 close friends and my 2 year old Godson...

And The Christmas Curse struck again, only not that severe. Yesterday, both of my Grandsons (My sun rises and sets on these boys) came over and both got sick and vomited all over their toys.. I don't mind the mess but I hate when my Boys are sick...

Yrp! That was the year from hell. I lost my Mother, Sister In Law, Godfather, 3 close friends and my 2 year old Godson...

And The Christmas Curse struck again, only not that severe. Yesterday, both of my Grandsons (My sun rises and sets on these boys) came over and both got sick and vomited all over their toys.. I don't mind the mess but I hate when my Boys are sick...

hmmmmm...sorry to hear that Sarge, -_-

Hope your New Year is a turn around towards something good and special for you.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Lost my mother December 8th 1988, my father December 24th 1991 and my brother December 11th 2002. Can't dwell on the past, got to move on....I did, and I now look forward to Christmas.

Archived