SASS Wire Forum

CAS Rifle for a Buckeroo

Captain Bill Burt

I can offer a for what its worth comment on both the Henry 22 and the Marlin '94. I love my Marlin. It is pretty light. It did come out of the box with stiff, clunky action that was taken care of by Cody. Now it is smooth as butter. I have a Henry 22 and the action out of the box was as smooth as my Marlin AFTER the the Marlin got the Cody workover. My Henry 22LR can hit four inch target 10/10 times from 60', which for a guy like me, that is good. I think a boy would have a lot of fun with the Henry. Would have fun with the Marlin too, but not if he had to deal with the out of the box action. That Henry is incredibly smooth. Couldn't go wrong with either, but may need to factor in the cost of an action job on the Marlin.

I would like to suggest a Winchester 9422 Trapper. I have to believe that it would be lighter than the Marlin 39 and the Henry. With the shorter and smaller diameter barrel it seems like it would swing better for a smaller shooter.

The Bearcats are an obvious choice too.

KQ

Captain Bill,

I didn't say it was <4.5# ^_^ but I did lighten the barrel under the forend and she has no trouble holding it up...I mean you save at least a pound getting the brass carrier out of it right?! :lol: I really didn't want to buy here new guns in a few years just because she was smaller!

PM me if you have more questions as I generally don't subscribe to most threads! Hope all had a Merry Christmas!

Sparky

Went through the same thing you are going through now a few years ago. The henry has gone through the third daughter and is still going after eleven years and only thing we have done is to take it apart and clean it. This gun has been shot for eleven years once or twice a week and in a lot of multiday matches. Even had the daughters sharing the gun for several years till the older one started with the bigger guns then the younger ones shared the gun. Like others have said buy the henry and dont look back unless you run over it with the car it will last. Bullett 19707

Archived