SASS Wire Forum

CAS Rifle for a Buckeroo

Captain Bill Burt

I'm in the process of acquiring CAS equipment for my middle son. I've already purchased two Bearcats and a Baikal, now I'm looking at leather and a rifle. For those of you with experience, what are your thoughts on the following for a Buckeroo, Henry Golden Boy Youth, Browning BL, or Marlin 39A? It will probably be awhile before I can afford any of them, but I would like to know the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

I'm in the process of acquiring CAS equipment for my middle son. I've already purchased two Bearcats and a Baikal, now I'm looking at leather and a rifle. For those of you with experience, what are your thoughts on the following for a Buckeroo, Henry Golden Boy Youth, Browning BL, or Marlin 39A? It will probably be awhile before I can afford any of them, but I would like to know the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

I can help on the rifle part since I just went through all that with my petite wife.She tried my Marlin 39A and it was to long in the barrel length,to heavy and the trigger pull length was way to long for her,not to mention that it is not a very smooth action.We seen a blued Henry 22LR. Youth model and she just had to have it.The 39A doesn't hold a candle to how smooth the lever action is on the Henry.The Henry is butter smooth.In the accuracy department,it even out did my Marlin.At 50 feet,off the bench,I could cover up a ten shot group,using Federals,with a dime.And that was with open sights.The balance is terrific and quick to put into action.It maybe a youth model but I enjoy shooting it as much as she does.It's a great rifle in my opinion and it won't break the bank.

Another vote for a Henry youth size rifle. I've got a Marlin 39A, and it's a man's 22, not a kids gun. My buckarette has no problem with the Henry, though. The Henry is weak in the sights, but close enough for CAS work. And it's got the best price around. Make sure the youth learns to keep the lever firmly closed - there isa safety interrupt on it that will keep rounds from firing if they don't.

Good luck, GJ

I held a side match last Saturday that required two rifles. I loaned a .22 Henry youth model to a Buckaroo to complement his Browning. He had to reload to finish the stage and insisted on picking up the Henry (to his father's dismay). This Buckaroo voted for the Henry. I doubt the rifle will last as long as a Marlin or a Browning but should last until it's time to shoot .38s.

The youth model Henry To me is the best for a small one.My grand son loves his and shoots it very well. He is 9 and small for his age.I have 39A but it is really heavy and he tried some more 22s but they were heavy. He also tried a pump that his uncle has and he is hung on the henry.I cut the stock That I bought so I could keep the on that came on it.The henry really is nice.

Howdy Pard,

The answers to this should come from the young shooters. Much is a matter of determination or the type of ammo/load used in the gun.

From what I've seen and heard, do not buy "youth models." Just cut down the butt stocks; new ones are easy to get and install later.

Purchase thin grips for a pistol and replace them with larger grips as his/her hands grow.

I recomment messaging Badlands Bud, Rattlesnake Wrangler (Colt Faro), or Madd Mike (about his granddaughters). They will have some good feedback on this question.

Regards,

Allie Mo

This is exactly the kind of information I need! My little one is only six, although way big for that age, so it sounds like the Marlin is out. My only concern about the Henry is I have a four year old and a two year old right behind him and ideally I want something that will last for all three of them.

Hey Allie! I will take your advice. I read a thread awhile back where Colt talked about equipment for youth shooters. That's what persuaded me to start Michael with a 12g. However at six, a Vaquero or Uberti is just too heavy for him (he can hold my Stoeger OK though). Since I have two more behind him, a beginner set makes sense from a financial perspective, IF I can get stuff that will last through three kids. I have no concerns in that regard about the Bearcats and the Baikal, but the rifle remains an open question. He can hold and shoot his Red Ryder all day, but shouldering and holding my Uberti is too much for him at this point.

Thanks all, please keep the feedback coming!

Unless your buckaroo is very small, why don't you start him with a 38?

Hi Noz,

He's six years old, 4'3" tall and about 54 lbs (tall, but very skinny). Recoil with a 38 isn't much of an issue, but holding and aiming rifles and pistols chambered for 38's is. He has large hands for a six year old, but not large enough to handle a Vaquero. He's pretty strong for a six year old, but not strong enough to hold an Uberti 73 up to his shoulder and fire a 10 shot string with accuracy. He's capable of holding and aiming a 12g for four shots, but just barely. I don't want him to pick up bad habits as a result of trying to use guns that are simply too much for him at this point. I would prefer he spend a year or so shooting 22's then transition to 38's when he's stronger.

Jack, of course I'm familiar with the 94c, but what is the weight difference between it and a short barreled octagon 73?

I looked it up, the Marlin is about 50% heavier, on par with my Stoeger. Unfortunately a little too much for him at this point. Not to mention the reloading issues with a SDB, a Marlin and an Uberti.

I definitely appreciate the input though!

Same thought here. A marlin 1894c in 38/357 with a cut down stock. Easy to replace the stock when he's old enough, or keep a full size stock with you so you have another backup rifle. It only takes one screw and less than 30 seconds to switch stocks.

They are VERY light. I can't think of a lighter lever rifle even in a 22 and if you take a couple of inches off the stock, even lighter yet.

EDIT - a marlin 1894c is no contest in weight against any 73 or 66, even the trapper. It's just a lot lighter all around and better balanced.

Howdy,

The Henry will last and if you have problems down the road, Henry stands behind it's rifles and they will help you if needed, plus the price point is hard to beat.

KK

If you are in doubt about the reliability of the Henry, I bought one 3 years ago for our clubs annual youth day and the kids shoot it non stop all day long. This past year they put over 2000 rounds through it. It does get very hot and dirty during the day but I spray some lube in it and it keeps on working. It has had well over 6k rounds thru it and still functions and shoots very good. For less than $300. it is a bargain. Give him a couple of years and he will want a 38.......... Mink............

Hi Noz,

He's six years old, 4'3" tall and about 54 lbs (tall, but very skinny). Recoil with a 38 isn't much of an issue, but holding and aiming rifles and pistols chambered for 38's is. He has large hands for a six year old, but not large enough to handle a Vaquero. He's pretty strong for a six year old, but not strong enough to hold an Uberti 73 up to his shoulder and fire a 10 shot string with accuracy. He's capable of holding and aiming a 12g for four shots, but just barely. I don't want him to pick up bad habits as a result of trying to use guns that are simply too much for him at this point. I would prefer he spend a year or so shooting 22's then transition to 38's when he's stronger.

Captain,

I see that some are still recommending Marlins and Uberti rifles in 38 cal. even though you keep pointing out that he can not hold a heavy rifle yet.Hello,get that youth model Henry 22.Your son will appreciate it and it won't wear him out.He will enjoy shooting.Some of these big guys forget when they were young boys.You think that they may know that he may shoot more with the Henry thereby having more practice ,that they might have competition someday?There will be plenty time down the road when he can have any rifle he wants after he grows into one.Heck,you can buy 6 Henry youth rifles for what you'd pay for a Uberti 73.My guess is,the first Henry 22 will last until he is ready for the big rifle.

Another vote for a .38 Marlin, if you can find one. I've loaned mine to lots of kids. The .38 is lighter than my .22 Marlin and easier to manage at the loading table as you don't have to fool with pulling the tube up to load. You can make a load that won't recoil at all. Get a second stock and cut it down if the child is too small now and save the original for when they grow into it. I used mine full time for about 5 years and it's been loaned out at many matches since then and is still going strong. No problem with the kids using .22 pistols and .38 rifle, see it done all the time.

Guest talon macleod 29883
:) Bill,My Daughter was fourteen when she started competing. She is all of five feet tall now at 25 YO. I started her with an 1894 Marlin in 38,birdshead sheriff model 38 pistols and a youth stoger in twelve ga. all of which she still owns today. She won the junior state champ in 2001. My point is that if they want to shoot and be competitive they will be just that. These items are currently in my safe . If you would like to borrow them for a match just let me know. Talon Macleod :FlagAm:

Get cha a henry and load up an shoot.

Yep its got plastic parts and whenever they break they are cheep to replace.

They make a light little fun gun and I dont plan to ever sell mine.

Best

CR

CBB, I have a Marlin 39a. If you bring Michael to a shoot I'd be glad to let him shoot it. I'd agree with others that the action on the 39a is not as smooth as my slicked up Marliln in .38 and according to our "family gunsmith" you really can't slick up the 39a. I have never handled a Henry in .22 so I have no opinion on it.

KK

For .22's???

Get the Henry and don't look back.

Have heard of some buying a Henry Golden Boy for a youth. But the stock was a

little long. They did not want to cut the one that came on it. They called Henry

which and told them what they was doing. They sent them another butt stock so they

could cut it for the youth, and them put the one that came with it back on, when they

got older. And sent it free of charge. They do support the young shooter.

But at the age your son is. The youth model may be better to start with.

:) Bill,My Daughter was fourteen when she started competing. She is all of five feet tall now at 25 YO. I started her with an 1894 Marlin in 38,birdshead sheriff model 38 pistols and a youth stoger in twelve ga. all of which she still owns today. She won the junior state champ in 2001. My point is that if they want to shoot and be competitive they will be just that. These items are currently in my safe . If you would like to borrow them for a match just let me know. Talon Macleod :FlagAm:

If I had not fell in love with CAS due to the adrenaline rush when the buzzer goes off, the people who participate would have sealed the deal! I'm grateful to all for your comments, even those whose advice I may not follow. Thank you.

Talon, at some point over the next couple of months (probably February) I will bring my little guy back to Doc's. Before I do I'll be sure to give you a heads up to see if you can bring the Marlin and/or the Stoeger. It would be a tremendous help for him to try one out before I make another purchase.

Lou, thanks for your suggestion, I've thought about having him shoot 22 pistols and 38 rifle, it will come down to strength. If I think he can safely manage something in 38, I will be happy to go with that, if not based on my research and comments here I'm leaning towards the Henry.

Kajun, thanks so much for the deal on the Plinkerton, unfortunately it's a little too big for him so my 12 year old nephew will be finding it under the tree in a couple of days (though I suspect he will have to share it with my brother).

Takoda, I think you're right sometimes we adults forget that to a six year old the difference between a 4.5 lb rifle and a 7 lb rifle is huge. I want him to have fun and feel comfortable and in control. That will be even more important when his younger sister, who is small for her age, starts participating.

In terms of pistols I've already purchased the Bearcats and feel relatively confident they will be the right choice for him. I plan to let him practice (he would call it playing) for a while and maybe shoot his first match this summer when he turns seven.

Thanks again all of you, any more thoughts are much appreciated. :)

I would go with the Henry hands down, but NOT the Golden Boy. I know people who have had trouble running them with speed. The stock angle requires a very head up position. I, nor either of my boys liked it. We have shot the fire out of our youth model. You are welcome to shoot ours. It is a youth model with an inch cut off.

Not always a matter of weight as much as it is leverage.

Don't forget proportion. Lason can shoot my OMV Bisleys just fine, but ya oughtta see them on his hips. Not something he'd want to lug around all day or handle efficiently.

I think as relevant a point to consider as any is they may not stick with this game or only shoot 3-4 times a year like Lason. He tells me all the time he doesn't care about doing well, just having fun. He will not practice. For you it may mean buying something that you might want for yourself in case the kids don't get into it. And thats ok if this game isn't for them.

I found the Bearcats at a "reasonable" price, so I bought them but they were far from my first choice. And he likes them a bunch because they fit. Single Six's of Talons is what he wants now.

Guns are everywhere and can be bought and sold indiscriminately like VHS videos at a thrift store (me having no personal or sentimental attachment to any firearm or nearly any other material thing I ever had). Just be patient and things will come to you. Don't feel like ya got to keep everything ya buy and losing a lil money selling off things ain't so bad if you got your enjoyment out of them and you can use the cash for better or more pressing things.

Find whats comfortable to the kid, what financially makes sense and see what the best compromise is. The Henry youth (steel not brass) you can never go wrong on.

I would go with the Henry hands down, but NOT the Golden Boy. I know people who have had trouble running them with speed. The stock angle requires a very head up position. I, nor either of my boys liked it. We have shot the fire out of our youth model. You are welcome to shoot ours. It is a youth model with an inch cut off.

Hey Hal!

The information you provided is exactly why I posed this question! Without that type of input I might end up dropping hard earned cash on something that is not the best choice. Thanks! I would like to let him give yours a spin at some point. Having seen Olen shoot a few times it's clear someone (you I expect) knew what they were doing when they trained and equipped him.

It sounds like between you and Talon I can get him some hands on experience before I make a choice, which is great. I'm leaning towards the steel Henry Youth, but it will be nice to get a chance to try a few before buying.

You make some very good points Dan. I knew Lason was shooting Bearcats, but I had forgot what kind of rifle he had. That's interesting about the Bisleys, even though mine and your sons are close in size I suspect Lason is significantly stronger, he's nine right?

Now I have to wait till the end of basketball season to get him to some matches....he should be at either the February DHI match, or the SRS match, I can't remember when he plays his last game.

Henry. Gret shooting rifle and my buckaroo loved it. And I can't say enough about their customer service. My dad bought it for my sons and he got it with a John Wayne lever which is not very good for CAS. I called Henry and tried. To buy a standard lever. He asked me if I really warned the large loop and I told him I really didn't have a need for it. He said new one is in the mail, just mail us the loop one back when you get it switched out. It showed up a few days later. They didn't even ask for cc number in case I backed out on my end of the deal. And they are Made in the USA.

Bearcat Annie started and still loves her Henry Youth Model. No issues withh the rifle. We did cut down the stock and then bought a new one later. Looking back I would buy the new stock and cut it down instead, that way the original stock is usable when the buckaroo is older, and the finish matches.

OK Here is my story and I'm sticking with it. :rolleyes:

I bought my Grandson , who is avg size and weight, a Henry 22 Golden Boy when he was 7. Way to big and BARREL heavy for him. So got him the 22 youth model Henry. Fit him good enough to be able to win the VA. State in Buckaroo when he had just turned 9. :):) He used my 1957 Ruger 22 Single-Sixs. I don't think he had more than 5 misses for the whole match and he won fastest pistol Buckaroo.

We set up a range in his back yard and practiced just about every afternoon after school and some on weekends for about 6 weeks. I didn't have to load any 38s doing it. :rolleyes:

The 38 Marlin 94 with a cut down stock is still to barrel heavy for small Kids. I know because I tried it with my 1982 38, 94 Marlin Carbine. Ya want to buy some short stocks?? Besides you can do a lot of shooting with the 22 CHEAP I practice a lot with my 22 Marlin and 22 pistols.

As your kids grow you can get an adult stock for the youth model Henry.

I also have a 22 Marlin and the Henry has a much smoother action. Yea I have tried everything to smooth up the Marlin. In fact I was going to get Grandson a 1894-1994 Century Marlin but way to stiff for him and was $800 rather than $300 and $200 for the Henrys.

Wyandot

Guest talon macleod 29883

:rolleyes: It would be my pleasure Bill. If I get lucky maybe the School Teacher that acts as a mentor for the guns can accompany them.

Merry Christmas , Tal :lol:

Henry youth model for my lil' gal when I can...she is on the small side so I think it will work for her to a tee :)

She thinks the brass frame is prettier ;)

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-goldenboy-youth.cfm

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I tend to think opposite...

Small hole in the barrel=more weight. I just finished building my 7 year old daughter (small at 7; ~40#) a Cimarron '73 trapper in .45Colt. It's the lightest thing going for a kid and with a 180 grain bullet going ~650 fps it doesn't bite! A 5th Gen C & I link kit and all the trimmings help but she can run it with no problems! For pistols I favored the Cimarron Lightening in .32 so all of her guns are mainstream category legal now and will be for years to come!

...but that's just me.

Sparky

Bill,

As you know my niece Dixie Critter has been shooting with us for a few months now. She uses

a Browning .22 Youth model that has been cut down about an inch. It has the shortest lever time and is very smooth.

She also started with a Stoeger in 20ga. that we loaded down for her to shoot but she lacked the upper body strength to "shuck" the empties. She now uses an H&R single shot with ejectors in 12ga. which her daddy has worked up a GREAT load for that will knock down anything out to at least 15yds but does NOT beat her up. She loves the ejector and has her loading down pat.

She also started with Bearcats and was really good with them. But after a rifle firing pin broke one match and she had to shoot her mommas pistols for her rifle on the last couple of stages (she was 19 out of 20 ). She is now shooting her Ruger .32 Single Sixes and she LOVES them.

I will be glad to get you the shotgun load recipe when you need it.

Archived