SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 10-22 and work I did to it

Trigger Mike

Well I took my 8 year old shooting and she loves my 10-22. While cleaning it afterwards she called it hers, and that is good since without her knowing I sanded a stock and painted it satin pink. After she helped me clean it with the original wood stock I locked the door and put on the pink one. The fit was a lot more snug and I had to force it into the stock to screw it down. Will the tighter fit help of hurt accurracy? I also noticed while it was apart the rear pin that holds the upper receiver to the lower part kept falling out. I doubt it means anything but thought I'd ask.

I also put several layers of paint and afterwards wondered if I should have primed it. I used paint made for wood. I sanded the stock down real well, before hand.

Did you alter accuracy?

It depends upon a few things.

First the barrel type normal or bull.

If bull it is unlikely it affected anything.

But if it was a normal barrel, the barrel should fit ie rest in the stock.

Not be forced.

As Chickasaw says open the barrel channel until the barrel rests without force in the channel.

By the way this is a chronic problem with new stocks for any gun.

The barrel channel most often needs opening.

Did you alter accuracy?

It depends upon a few things.

First the barrel type normal or bull.

If bull it is unlikely it affected anything.

But if it was a normal barrel, the barrel should fit ie rest in the stock.

Not be forced.

As Chickasaw says open the barrel channel until the barrel rests without force in the channel.

By the way this is a chronic problem with new stocks for any gun.

The barrel channel most often needs opening.

Its a normal barrell. Now what I had to force was the receiver, the barrell fit right in once I hit the receiver to make it go in. It was a used stock, but some paint got in there and made it tight. I think.

Even the factory stocks can be snug, and sometimes it takes a good whack to get the action out of or back in to the wood. As long as there's no extra pressure on the barrel, it'll shoot fine.

Don't worry about the pin either. Ruger designed it to come out easily, and the stock will keep it from going anywhere.

As long as you've got it apart, you might want to add the better bolt hold-open latch and extended mag release. Volquartsen makes good ones (metal, not cheap plastic) that really improve the 10-22. Installation is pretty easy too.

The way to answer this is really very simple. Take it out and shoot it, we can all guess at what might have happened.

:lol: I guess that is one solution. now she wants to go shoot again Christmas Eve morning, but I already put the new stock on and have not told her it will be hers the next day. I was putting her off by telling her my wife got me a rifle too and we should wait unti I got mine and go together, but it turns out it won't make it.

Even the factory stocks can be snug, and sometimes it takes a good whack to get the action out of or back in to the wood. As long as there's no extra pressure on the barrel, it'll shoot fine.

Don't worry about the pin either. Ruger designed it to come out easily, and the stock will keep it from going anywhere.

As long as you've got it apart, you might want to add the better bolt hold-open latch and extended mag release. Volquartsen makes good ones (metal, not cheap plastic) that really improve the 10-22. Installation is pretty easy too.

The biggest improvement I made to mine was adding this from Brownells at a bit over $160 it is not cheap but for me it was an all in one solution and the quality in the thing is obvious now when the NFA paperwork and process is done I will add a silencer/barrel and a stock that is a better fit for my size but the improvement to the shooting of the gun and the ease of chancing magazines and the darn near perfect 2 lb pull; creep and overtravel free trigger it is darn near perfect

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=44614/avs|Make~~Model_1=Ruger__10zz1zz22/psize=48/Product/10-22-DROP-IN-TRIGGER-ASSEMBLY

thhe one stop fix all the things about the 10/22 that I did not like

Timney took its time and hit a home run with this product

from the blurb at Brownells

The new Timney 10/22 trigger will undoubtedly set the standard for the future of aftermarket trigger upgrades for the Ruger 10-22

Featuring a one piece action of CNC machined 6061-T6 aircraft grade billet aluminum the new Timney trigger for the Ruger 10-22 is a complete action replacement

The trigger, sear, and hammer are wire EDM cut and heat treated steel for exceptional durability

Push out the two action pins and "drop in" the new Timney complete trigger assembly

The new Timney 10-22 trigger features a Timney designed extended magazine release that can be operated by one finger for exceptional ease and accessibility

It also comes standard with an auto bolt release

As with all the Timney triggers made in the U.S.A. each complete action replacement is hand assembled, calibrated and tested for a lifetime of reliable service

The trigger is set at 2 pounds from the factory, with no creep

The biggest improvement I made to mine was adding this from Brownells at a bit over $160 it is not cheap but for me it was an all in one solution and the quality in the thing is obvious now when the NFA paperwork and process is done I will add a silencer/barrel and a stock that is a better fit for my size but the improvement to the shooting of the gun and the ease of chancing magazines and the darn near perfect 2 lb pull; creep and overtravel free trigger it is darn near perfect

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=44614/avs|Make~~Model_1=Ruger__10zz1zz22/psize=48/Product/10-22-DROP-IN-TRIGGER-ASSEMBLY

thhe one stop fix all the things about the 10/22 that I did not like

Timney took its time and hit a home run with this product

from the blurb at Brownells

wow. problem is, if I put that in her gun she will shoot better than me. :lol: might be worth getting. My only hesitation is that I bought the gun in 2000, and paid that much for it back then.

Archived