SASS Wire Forum

Parole officer and Credit Agency keeps calling... !#$%^&?

Some dirtbag pulled my number out of a hat and gave it out to his parole officer and credit people. Apparently he ran up a bunch of bills and skipped parole, because they keep calling me. Of course the parties calling are skeptical, but when I tell them to look up my name on the QWEST site and read the number, they apologize. But they keep calling. :blink::angry:

You may have to get your number changed. Once somebody has it in their computer system you play hell trying to get it deleted. :angry:

Changing your number doesn't always help. I moved a year ago and got a new number. Apparently the previous owner of this phone number didn't pay his bills either. I am constantly getting phone calls from collection agencies, and a school district from a few cities over with updates about the school (notifications of short days, and info about the vegetable of the month).

Caller ID is your friend. I don't answer calls that come up from toll free numbers, or annoying acquaintances. It takes only a split second of my time to look at the display and decide to answer or not :)

We have caller ID and the phone number will flash on the screen when a call comes in. Nice feature. I get to decide to answer a call.

One issue I have is some folks feel that they are obligated to answer a phone. I figure if you call me and I don't want to talk to you, that is my option.

Another is when folks say they do not want to talk to a machine. If I am not at home and don't answer the phone, that is the only way that I will know that they called. Their loss I guess.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Some dirtbag pulled my number out of a hat and gave it out to his parole officer and credit people. Apparently he ran up a bunch of bills and skipped parole, because they keep calling me. Of course the parties calling are skeptical, but when I tell them to look up my name on the QWEST site and read the number, they apologize. But they keep calling. :blink::angry:

Sorry 'bout that... but I just couldn't come up with another number.

ts

If you have the time to fool with them, ask them for their name, the name of their employer, their employee ID mumber and the physical address of their employer. When they ask why you are asking all those questions, tell them that the State Attorney Genreal's office told you to get the information. Usually, they do not want to be reported to the AG and will quit pestering you.

Duffield

BTW do a check and make sure the only thing he stole is you phone number.

BTW do a check and make sure the only thing he stole is you phone number.

Yep, I checked with my credit card companies. Someone tried to use my wife's Amex card several times but it was declined by Amex. They called and asked if we tried to make the purchases -- none. They are sending her a new card.

I called TransUnion -- no problems with our credit reports.

We have solicitor block on our phone as well as caller ID. The trouble is most credit services, police, etc. will block their ID.

To add to my woes, some old man who is hard of hearing backed into my pickup. He just caught the front of my bumper and ripped his rear corner panel off. All it did do my truck was break a plastic sidelight cover. Now his insurance company is trying to say I'm 50% at fault. So I need to answer the phone right now, thinking it might be them. I told them I would be happy to take them to court. Meanwhile, USAA promptly paid me what the estimate was.

Bah, humbug!

The trouble is most credit services, police, etc. will block their ID.

I block blocked IDs. But if you have to answer the phone that's a problem.

I know of a pilot who has a phone line for his employer only. The rule at his house is "NEVER answer it."

:unsure: My son's wife answered the door this summer to find a police officer standing there. My son and his family had recently moved into the home and were doing painting and remoldeling. The officer asked if a "Ken" :ph34r: was there. She told him there was no Ken living there and they had recently (within the past 90 days)moved there. He left. Next week, 2 officers arrived..... one to the front door and one to the back door. They asked the same question about "KEN". she replied as before. A couple of weeks later, we were there visiting when 3 officers came.... front and back. My daughter-in-law explained 'again' that there was no "KEN". I asked what they wanted with "KEN?" Seemes he jumped parole and there was paper out on him. I explained to the officer they had recently moved in. My son asked the neighbors who "KEN" was and they told us he was a bad apple and the police were always looking for him. We went to the police dept and spoke to the shift commander and explained to him that my family didn't like to be harrassed... they didn't know "KEN" and had never seem him. As a fluke, my son used his IPHONE and googled "KEN" on FACE BOOK and there he was..... 2 towns over. The police could have done the same(!?) The officer thanked us and they have not been harrassed them since.... B)

Some deadbeat who skipped out on his student loans gave SWMBO's cell phone number, which she has had since about 1993, to his loan company. Every couple of years for the last 8 or 9 years, the loan company will start repeatedly calling her cell phone number looking for the guy, even though I have explained to them on at least 4 occasions, the last one a couple of months ago, that the guy apparently just made the number up out of thin air, and to not bother us anymore.

Uno has owned this house for 20 years. Ever since he moved in, he has been receiving collect calls from a man in Folsom Prison for a "Yolanda". He'll get two or three in a row, then they stop for a year or two, then get gets a few more, and then they stop for a while...... Since we're never home when they call, we can't catch it to "hit the number "2" to block this number from being called". We sure wish we could......

They need to lock them up and I would say toss the key.. but I think it would be better if we just flood the jail.. lol Geesh.. I am not nice at all lol

Had the same thing happen to me Okie.

Kept getting calls from a collection agency, and I tried unsuccessfully to tell these nitwits the character they were looking for didn't live here, never had, and this was my phone number for the past seven years.

They persisted.

Finally one day I asked them where they got this info from, and what company he represented. The guy on the other end started citing some babble about confidentiality and he couldn't tell me. I told him "Hey dumbass - I've got Caller ID so I already know what I need. One more call from you people and I'll file a federal telephone harassment charge against you, and get the State AG to look into your practices as well".

The calls stopped.

Knut Ginrich keeps call me.... I just pick up the fone and set by the tv speaker.. leave it for 10 min, then hang up. on some calls I just tell them to hold while I get the person...

Archived