SASS Wire Forum

Wow! Forgot how "barky" a 357 can be

Iron Pony

Decided today was the day to head to one of the local stores to see if I could fill a hole in the inventory, i.e. there was no 357 Magnum in the gun safe. How did that happen? Head over to Rileys and there were several blackhawks to be had, made a deal on what looked to be a new in the box, used, new model with a 6.5" bbl.

Just so happened I took three boxes of old (one label had 09/92 on it!) 357 reloads with me just in case I found someting to bring home. One box was old enough they were loaded with NBC copper washed 158gr SWC, another had 158gr XTP/JHP and the third was a very zippy 125gr XTP/JHP.

Well since I had gun and rounds in one place a stop at the range was in order and boyoh I'd forgotten just how loud a stout 357magnum load can be. Even with muffs on they were loud and making sure the muzzle of the gun was out infront of the covered firing point helped a little. Even on a fairly sunny day the HP loads made nice fireballs. Recoil was a little flippy, anchoring the butt of the gun with pinky under the grip helped but the bbl still went skyward.

Gun looks to be a keeper so its time to log it in.

You want "BARKY"? Get a 2 inch snubby and fir it with those loads.....

You got to buy it and take it home?

Wow... now THAT's a refreshing concept...! :rolleyes:

He lives in New Hampshire.

So which one did you wind up buying? I remember there were two with the thin modern black plastic grips and one with wooden grips. The one with wood looked older. The ones with black plastic looked like there would be a lock lurking underneath.

Sgt, Lawman I dont recall the LE only 38 +P+ loads out of the 3" Det Spec being this loud and that was magnaported. Will surely take this one to the range on an overcast day and see what the fireball looks like. Not as loud as 30 Carbine BH but close.

Sorry about that Hardpan, didnt mean to hit a sore spot.

Ho Johnson, this is a new one and has the lock mech under the grip. The test casing is dated June of this year so it hasnt been out of the factory too long. Cleaning it the screws dont look to ever have been pulled, there was no blast ring on the cylinder face and just the faintest start of a ruger ring on it. Think I may have gotten as good a deal on this as you did that model 12. Next stop will be Robbies to get a tuneup and I think I'm going to ask for an overtravel screw on the trigger. You going to come up on Saturday and shoot them skeetie birds?

I had a pre 1968 Ruger 22 Single six, with a 250.00 tag on it, scream at me from the gun case at the gun store "Take me home please".

When women and guns say this to me, I cannot resist.

Archived