SASS Wire Forum

Abandoned and Little Known Airfields

Subdeacon Joe

When I was a kid going to summer camp near Kenosha, WI, we would take hikes to the dufunct Bong Air Force Base. We thought it was cool to pick up souveniers like empty shell casings.

In the mid-70's I worked at the old NAS Hutchinson, Kansas building ambulances. The company's main assembly line was in a hugh hanger that I think later burned down. I worked in another building that used to be where the personnel ate. It was a long building that must of fed a lot of soldiers at a time.

The Amish community of Yoder was a few miles away. I have always wondered how the Amish passive views meshed with the training for war so close by.

SD, nice link. Shot the owner a message asking about one in Lancaster Co., Va that may have gobbled up my family's ancesetral area. Been looking for it since my Dad passed and have hit a dead end with my searches up to this point.....Buck :blush:

Not abandoned but the original name Grenier Field was where my parents met, father was a mechanic in the USAAF mother was a soda jerk in the base PX. I took my first flight out of there when I went to Fort Dix. Now it's Manchester-Boston Regioanl Airport.

Here is the story of if during WWII.

http://www.vermontel.net/~tomh/AIRCRAFT/AIRPORTS/MHT/mancha.html

Does anyone know of an international equivalent?

Not that I know of, sorry.

SD, nice link. Shot the owner a message asking about one in Lancaster Co., Va that may have gobbled up my family's ancesetral area. Been looking for it since my Dad passed and have hit a dead end with my searches up to this point.....Buck :blush:

Have you checked the old county or state property or parcel tax rolls?

Not abandoned but the original name Grenier Field was where my parents met, father was a mechanic in the USAAF mother was a soda jerk in the base PX. I took my first flight out of there when I went to Fort Dix. Now it's Manchester-Boston Regioanl Airport.

Here is the story of if during WWII.

http://www.vermontel.net/~tomh/AIRCRAFT/AIRPORTS/MHT/mancha.html

Thanks for the link. Good story.

Archived