SASS Wire Forum

Why do I keep punishing myself?

Again, I watched American Gun's Colt Walker episode. Wouldn't the proof marks, stampings and serial numbers enough to validate the authenticity of the Colt Walker versus an Italian replica?

A man asked me why I was hitting my thumb with a hammer. Because it feels good when I stop.

Colt's made prior to the 1851 Navy were very inconsistent on markings and actual geometry. Parts do not always interchange. Small parts were made in the Patterson plant, the Whitney plant, the Hartford plant and small shops around the Hartford plant. That is why the serail numbers, or parts of the numbers, are on the frame, grip back, cylinder and barrel assembly. This practice was continued with the Italian copies.

The easiest way to determine whether an unmarked Colt c&b pistol is original or a replica made after 1900 is to determine if the metal is iron or steel. Steel was used for almost all guns after 1900, except for very cheap muzzleloaders in the 1950-1970 period. A close examination of screw cuts (for the driver) will also go along way in determining how these wer cut. Most milling operations of old were longitudinal (few markings); most modern cuts are radial (circular tooling marks).

I have an original Winchester Model 1887 shotgun. It has the OFW monogram on the left side of the frame and no other markings anywhere: no proof marks, no gage, no model, nothing. It is as original as they come.

Archived