SASS Wire Forum

Great Footage of Civil War Vets

Subdeacon Joe

And before any of you smart-alecks jump in here....NO I am not in any of those clips. <_<

Of course you weren't, Bob. Those were CIVIL WAR vets, not War of 1812.

dadgummit! :rolleyes:

AWESOME

Thanks! I had run across that once before, but lost the link.

Yeah... I had also, several years ago - your topic sparked the memory! ;)

But in another film clip, there was one fellow waving the flag and a running acorss..........

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I coulda sworn that it was..... nevermind.

Yer right. It was Forty. :lol:

I have thought of this before, but I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of combat deaths to population. With a MUCH lower population during the CW, those casualty percentages have to be terrible

TF

I have thought of this before, but I'd be interested in knowing the percentage of combat deaths to population. With a MUCH lower population during the CW, those casualty percentages have to be terrible

TF

It was roughly 2%. 1860 census puts the population at about 31,500,000. Call it about 625,000 combat deaths*. But also consider that estimates range as high as 1,250,000 "excess deaths" in the civilian population** during that period, many from starvation or diseases caused or exacerbated by malnutrition. So close to two MILLION total deaths caused by that war.

*some suggest as high as 850,000 but most fall around the 625,000 to 650,000 range.

**some are as low as 50,000 but since several states estimate 20,000 to 30,000 excess deaths, that seems very low. From what I have been able to find online, more reliable numbers suggest somewhere between 750,000 and the 1,250,000 I used above. I found that in a work from the 1890s which cited a Surgeon Generals report. Unfortunately, my source for that is gone with a hard drive crash.

Yup - beautiful stuff....God bless America and it's struggles that have allowed us to be the best country this world has ever seen.

Ken Burns' presentation is excellent and I still have the videos my incle gave me as a present 20 years ago...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived