SASS Wire Forum

shooting stance

Trigger Mike

After going to the matches I noticed some shooters lean forward and some lean backward. I noticed my daughter leaning backward today. I think I usually lean forward myself. What is the difference? Is one better or more stable, or does it depend on body comfort?

Leaning backward is usually an indication of no formal training.

Leaning backward is usually an indication of no formal training.

+1

It is also a more "natural" stance for women. I overcame that by putting one foot slightly ahead of the other, forcing me to balance between the two. Learning how to lean forward came easier after that.

After going to the matches I noticed some shooters lean forward and some lean backward. I noticed my daughter leaning backward today. I think I usually lean forward myself. What is the difference? Is one better or more stable, or does it depend on body comfort?

I never had formal training and started out just shooting varmits for my dad. I mostly used a 22 rifle and a 410. I did move up to a BlackHawk, and a 357 SW, 12 guage, a Thompson, a Marlin 30.30 for hunting, and about anything anyone would let me play with. When I started SASS I shot a 45 rifle, and Cattlemens in a 45... plus a side by side. Didn't think much about it until a few cowboys in MO mentions my body was taking a JOLT.. lol.. I saw a few videos and decided they were right. Since joining I have changed to 357/38 and a pump shotgun in 12 and over the the darkside .. because I love the smoke, the fire and the sense if gives me of the wild west. I guess what I am saying is you transform when others help you .. like with any sport you will aways find someone who knows more than you do... so when I was told to lean into my guns, and to consider a cross draw for crazy reasons at the time, lol.. I listened and it did help. Just tonight I went to a pre fun auction with a friend .. he pointed out that I don't "get close" with my long guns.. lol.. I shoot with them higher on my shoulder than he felt I should. So I picked up a few auction guns to feel what he was talking about.. and I will keep it in mind and try it. Any tips, tricks.. are worth trying to see if it works better for you. I was told also to drawn my pistols closer to my face to aim and then move them out from my body.. It helps when I remember. So, leaning in to my guns helped me get some weight behind them... ..

When lifting a weight it is just more natural to lean back. That's the first inclination for most new shooters especially with long guns and big pistols. But, as mentioned, it is much less stable a platform and will lead to problems.

That's one reason that as a firearms instructor, it's often easier to teach someone who has never held a gun. They haven't developed bad habits like leaning back,or shooting gang banger style. ;)

I've noticed with kids they often lean back anticipating the recoil. Check the gun fit and be sure that she can handle whatever she's shooting. I bought my son an H & R single shot 20 ga and thought it would be great to teach him how to shoot. It was youth sized and fit him well, but I noticed when he shot it he was leaning back and jerking the trigger. He had shot several other 20 ga guns I had that didn't really fit him and I hadn't noticed him fighting them. So I tried it, and that thing kicked like a mule and must of had a 20 lb trigger pull. So much for that, I let him shoot a Franchi 20 ga with 24" barrels and an IC choke and that kid can flat shoot, and more importantly, he enjoys it and doesn't flinch.

Leaning backwards is usually indicative of the effort to support the firearm or to find balance in their stance.

The technique should be to lean forward, and to keep the body stable - the shoulders over or in front of the hips,

so that the mass of the body can absorb the recoil and still provide mobility. It is hard to move well when the

rifle or pistol is cantilevered out forward, and balance is easily upset due to the already compromised position.

Stance should be one foot forward slightly, the toes aligned and feet-spread stance has no forward and backward stability.

Instead take a half step forward with the support-side foot, and the torso then leans into a knee over toe alignment that

is much more stable, and still allows movement without having to break out of the position to begin moving . . . .

Agree with Utah Bob - it's easier to train folks who haven't learned a lot of bad habits!

Shadow Catcher

I never had formal training and started out just shooting varmits for my dad. I mostly used a 22 rifle and a 410. I did move up to a BlackHawk, and a 357 SW, 12 guage, a Thompson, a Marlin 30.30 for hunting, and about anything anyone would let me play with. When I started SASS I shot a 45 rifle, and Cattlemens in a 45... plus a side by side. Didn't think much about it until a few cowboys in MO mentions my body was taking a JOLT.. lol.. I saw a few videos and decided they were right. Since joining I have changed to 357/38 and a pump shotgun in 12 and over the the darkside .. because I love the smoke, the fire and the sense if gives me of the wild west. I guess what I am saying is you transform when others help you .. like with any sport you will aways find someone who knows more than you do... so when I was told to lean into my guns, and to consider a cross draw for crazy reasons at the time, lol.. I listened and it did help. Just tonight I went to a pre fun auction with a friend .. he pointed out that I don't "get close" with my long guns.. lol.. I shoot with them higher on my shoulder than he felt I should. So I picked up a few auction guns to feel what he was talking about.. and I will keep it in mind and try it. Any tips, tricks.. are worth trying to see if it works better for you. I was told also to drawn my pistols closer to my face to aim and then move them out from my body.. It helps when I remember. So, leaning in to my guns helped me get some weight behind them... ..

The stocks on your long guns were much too long for you.

...get a good cheek weld and shoulder fit and lean into/forward the long gun; similar stance for them thar revolvers....

...teachin' my daughter to lean in - it's a better and more balanced position to handle recoil (more sturdy platform) and gives her a more 'pro-active' acquisition to the target allowing her better engagement plus allow her to move with better balance.

especially with that shotgun.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

In your daughter's case I think you've already recieved some good advice.

I'd like to throw out a little extra FWIW info. I think you will find that competition rifle shooters firing at a static target (while standing) will tend to lean back in what, to many, looks like an awkward position. They do so to gain maximum support to keep the rifle as still as possible while aiming and firing.

That is NOT a good stance for an action game where you have to transition from target to target or shoot at a moving target. As mentioned by others above, leaning forward will give you much better balance for any movement required.

Black Angus McPherson

I thought she should lean forward, as I was taught that. She was leaning backward while shooting the 22 pistols. I then had her go to the foot forward stance and it helped some but then she switched back to feet side by side. On the rifle she shot from a supported position, sittng down. She was hitting inside a 2x2 square at 27 yards with a 10-22 her first time out. Next time out I will try to get her to lean more forward and adjust her stance to be comfortable, but mobile.

Archived