SASS Wire Forum

GREAT DAY today

Trigger Mike

My club requires you to be 8, so my oldest finally hit it the other day. I was going to take her Saturday, but she got nervous and was hesitannt to go, so I loaded an AR-15 with blanks and let her shoot it at the house that way some. SHe got comfortable doing that and was excited to go today. We got out there and a shot her Ruger Bearcat I had bought to teach them all with. Then she shot a Ruger single six 22. SHe liked the bear cat better due to its size. Then she shot a Ruger 10-22 I had bought years ago. WHen she was a toodler she would see it in my safe and grab it and hug it and say it was her gun, since it was small like she was back then. SHe shot it and shot it. I had a hard time getting her to try anything else after that. The good news about that is that several months ago I had gone to a gunshow and bought a spare stock, and recently had sanded it down, and painted it pink to put under the tree on Christmas. I was worried she would not like the gun and I'd have to save the stock for the baby when she gets old enough. I will do that now. She liked shooting the metal targets since it gives instant feedback of a hit. To help get her to focus her aim, I put some of those sticky strips from the top of the page of a stick on target, and made a small square. She would hit inside the box or actually hit the sticky paper itself and shred it until it fell off. She loved doing that. She originally had a problem with sighting with the wrong eye, so I put a piece of carboard from the ammo box over the left eye to see if she was right eye dominate or not and she must be, and was just doing it wrong. I noticed my son doing the same thing with a toy gun yesterday, so I figured it was just ignorance and not actual left eye dominance. SHe kept calling it a "Daddy, Daughter day" and cheered several times. She got intimidated by the rifle range distance and would not shoot there. Maybe next time. She also shot a 410, but had a hard time holding it due to weight, so cowboy shooting may be a while yet. All and all we both had a great time. SHe wants to do it again Christmas eve.

That is a good time, right there. I taught all my kids to shoot, and now my daughter is in college and has been dating a young guy for almost a year. He's shown an interest in my guns, and recently inherited a Ruger .22 from his grandfather. To get to know him better, I asked her if she thought he'd like to go shooting with us after church a few weekends back. He not only agreed, but showed up to go to church with us. Well, I unloaded the safe and we shot everything from .22 semi-auto pistols to SAA .38, .357 and .45, lever guns of several calibers, and 12 and 20 gauge shotguns. I bought a case of water bottles for targets along with paper targets and clay pigeons, the kids and I had a ball. It was great to get a chance to know him better, my daughter appreciated me taking him, and the young man found out I could shoot which isn't a bad thing for a guy that's dating your daughter to know.

Archived