SASS Wire Forum

Any one try to decap an inverted primer?

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy all, I have several rounds that the primer is in backwards, has anyone decapped live primers safely?

Or is it not worth the price of a shell?

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Done it on my Dillon past 20 years and so far no problem. But, I do it very slowly.

Go very slow and gentle. I've done a couple that way.

You might want to soak that shell and PRIMER in some oil for a bit before you deprime it.

That way, you only lose the primer and not the shell casing or your fingers or other parts of the anatomy.

I have done it, but the pucker factor is quite high. I have been either lucky, or I have a guardian angel looking out for me.

I just use a bullet puller hammer knock out the bullet .

Dump the powder and put on safety glasses and push out the primer just like it was a shot shell .

Never had one go off yet .

Not that big of a deal .

Good luck.

I do it all the time..... Only sloooooowly..

IF YOU DUMP YOUR "SPENT PRIMER CATCHER" BEFORE (stoopid capslock)before removing the inverted primer, you can use it again. At least on my 550's I can (and do)

FWIW..YMMV

Oso

I've done it many a time (although not much lately. I must be getting better. 'Bout time - only been loading 35 years). Always reused the primer, also. Looks funky, as the decapping pin dents the primer cap, but they've always gone boom when I shot 'em.

Well, I'll admit to just the opposite of most of the pards answering before me. I figure the brass isn't that expensive, so I don't mess with it. I have never tried popping the offending backwards primer out. Doesn't happen very often so the loss of brass isn't huge.

OK, so we have documented that it can be done without setting the primer off.

Now, lets here those stories of when it did set the primer off! :D

I'm with Barney, haven't done it enough to worry about, just tossed the cases. Then again I load on a single stage press and use a hand priming tool and check primer alignment on every primer after I got a couple backwards ones when I first started.

Well I never set one off. Maybe I should put some in backwards and have a go at pooping it out quickly. I could never be as fast as a single action hammer.

On second thought, maybe not, unless I can land a bomb disposal outfit.

I did set off a primer when cutting a case with a dremel tool, wasn't that big a deal really. Can't remember why I was doing that.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I try to decap inverted primers... by jerkin' that load handle just as fast as I can...

Afterds... love to pick all the lil' pieces of shrapnel outta my face and body... just an overall... invigoratin' sensation.

ts

Yup.... first one is kinky.. then about normal after that... put them in the practice bin.

I have done it over the years more than a few times and have never set one off.

That being said, I do not deprime them on my progressive press.

I deprime on an old single stage press with a depriming die away from my press and powder.

Priming compound residues cann accumulate in tubes and mechanisms. If it were to go off in a separate press, the harm would be zilch. If it were to go off in my progressive press (Dillon 650) it would have a (Very small) potential to cause a chain reaction of primers and powder. I believe this is one of the potential explanations for some BP Static explosion stories.

You might want to soak that shell and PRIMER in some oil for a bit before you deprime it.

That way, you only lose the primer and not the shell casing or your fingers or other parts of the anatomy.

I have done it, but the pucker factor is quite high. I have been either lucky, or I have a guardian angel looking out for me.

+1 for Badg.

He didn't get so old and so ugly by doing dumb things. Well... too many dumb things.

Primers are about $0.04 per. Only pennies. Hit them with WD-40, and pop them out safely.

And yes, I ain't as smart as Badg. I did it really slowly, with a lot of care, and it was REALLY loud, and it HURT!!!!

Archived