SASS Wire Forum

Boy, Am I Bummed Out!

Bama Red

Just tried to place an order with Cheaper Than Dirt for a brand new T/C .50 Cal Hawken muzzleloader and a bunch of associated black powder doodads - order woulda been 'bout $900 with some .44-40 brass thrown in as well. The computer rejected the order, saying could not ship to Tennessee.

Called and got a real live person on the phone and she confirmed it - law says they cannot ship black powder firearms into Tennessee, home of Davey Crockett and Sgt. Alvin York. Both of those fine gentlemen must be approaching redline as they spin in their graves! :angry:<_<

Dang, that's sad...! :(

Last time I checked even California allowed muzzleloaders to be shipped to private parties. Reckon there hasn't been much of a problem with gangbangers rollin' down the streets feverishly stuffing ramrods down barrels... but that thought does create a downright funny mental picture! :rolleyes:

Must be a problem on their end. I'm not aware of any laws on the books of the Volunteer State prohibiting such. Might be some interstate non-reciprocal red tape. :unsure: I get Black Powder stuff all the time here.

Must be a problem on their end. I'm not aware of any laws on the books of the Volunteer State prohibiting such. Might be some interstate non-reciprocal red tape. :unsure: I get Black Powder stuff all the time here.

I won an NRA silent auction on a black powder rifle in Chattanooga, and they made me do a 4473 form and run it through an FFL. Maybe it is related to TN. Law and that is why that Cheaper than Dirt cannot direct ship to you.

I won an NRA silent auction on a black powder rifle in Chattanooga, and they made me do a 4473 form and run it through an FFL. Maybe it is related to TN. Law and that is why that Cheaper than Dirt cannot direct ship to you.

I'm guessing that is the problem, Barkeep. Haven't bothered to check with my local FFL to confirm it, but I bet that's it. :angry:

Just tried to place an order with Cheaper Than Dirt for a brand new T/C .50 Cal Hawken muzzleloader and a bunch of associated black powder doodads - order woulda been 'bout $900 with some .44-40 brass thrown in as well. The computer rejected the order, saying could not ship to Tennessee.

Called and got a real live person on the phone and she confirmed it - law says they cannot ship black powder firearms into Tennessee, home of Davey Crockett and Sgt. Alvin York. Both of those fine gentlemen must be approaching redline as they spin in their graves! :angry:<_<

Bama, I got something similar a few years back from Sportsman's guide. It turned out to be BS because they just didn't want to put up with sorting out California's laws. It involved an electronic shooting game for my them 6 year old grandson. I called the state DOJ and found out it wasn't true, called SG back and told them it wasn't true and was told it was true and they wouldn't ship to California. I did a computer search and found a place a few mils from them who had it in my hands four days later at about $10.00 less.

I called SG back and told them I wouldn't be doing business with them again.

You might do something similar and see if CTD is worth your business.

Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper than Dirt are owned by the same folks. I had similiar problems. That's whay I refuse to send them any more of my business. I probably spent $3000 plus dollars with them over the years. But when they act that stupidly, they don't need my money. We all ought to boycott them.

Apparently this has been Sportsman Guide policy for quite some time:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/curio-relics-black-powder/10448-new-restrictions-mail-order-black-powder-arms-4.html

(notice 2008-2009 thread)

Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper than Dirt are owned by the same folks. I had similiar problems. That's whay I refuse to send them any more of my business. I probably spent $3000 plus dollars with them over the years. But when they act that stupidly, they don't need my money. We all ought to boycott them.

+1

Cheaper than dirt is not always the cheapest anyway. Most of the time yer better off buying locally. When ya figure in shipping costs it don't always add up to the best price. I have never ordered anything from either CTD or SG. I buy locally. Rye

Rye, I'm a big believer in buying locally, when possible. I'll even allow the local guys 10% over the internet prices to give them a better shot at keeping my business. But, and its a big but, I live in a small town with no local gunshop - nearest one is thirty miles away. I don't know how far away a gunshop with a good muzzleloader selection is - haven't found one yet! :rolleyes:

A pard here in the Saloon (ACS) has a T/C kit he is thinking of selling, so I may be in luck after all! :D

Rye, I'm a big believer in buying locally, when possible. I'll even allow the local guys 10% over the internet prices to give them a better shot at keeping my business. But, and its a big but, I live in a small town with no local gunshop - nearest one is thirty miles away. I don't know how far away a gunshop with a good muzzleloader selection is - haven't found one yet! :rolleyes:

A pard here in the Saloon (ACS) has a T/C kit he is thinking of selling, so I may be in luck after all! :D

A perfect winter project! :)

I'd give the state a call and ask why, Bama. Here is a disclaimer from Able Ammo, who I have done business with in the past:

Black Powder Firearms Restrictions

You must be at least 18 or older to purchase Black Powderfirearms. Please check your local laws for restrictions before ordering black powderfirearms.

Black Powder firearms cannot be shipped to the followinglocations:

Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, NewYork, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Washington D.C.

NOTE: For all other states, we can ship most black powderfirearms directly to you.

This seems to go against the federal guidelines:

18 U.S.C. § 921

© any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, ormuzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powdersubstitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of thissubparagraph, the term "antique firearm" shall not include any weaponwhich incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is convertedinto a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readilyconverted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt,

breechblock, or any combination thereof.

I do know that all the TC inlines do require an FFL to do the transfer as a barrel swap makes them a whole different animal. However, you specified a Hawken and I have no earthly idea why that would be an issue. After Okie's post I am really curious why that would be a problem.

I lived bout 4 miles from tn in KY. Tried my best to stay out of the VOLUNTOLD state. Got an ex-wife there too, was happy to send her back.

Good news!! :D

Train Robber has decided to sell his brand new in the box, twenty year old Thompson Center percussion Hawken rifle kit at a very attractive price.

I could not refuse :D and I now have a project to occupy me over the winter and following surgery.

Thanks also to all the pards who gave me all the good advice here.

Bama,Sent you a PM,MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR. LSC

Charlie - Never got your PM.

Archived