SASS Wire Forum

- - - Corn Fuser Problems ( terminal )

Wolfgang, SASS #53480

When I purchased my last computer it came with McAffee virus protection in it. I had always use Norton and figured to just have my Norton account transfered to it. McAffee blocked Norton from being installed. Then I tried to un-instal McAffee. It was some how "hard wired in" and could not be un-installed. So I went ahead with using it. I saw a couple of threads on the wire mentioning problems with using McAffee, ... but I didn't have any problems for a couple of years. Then recently I had an invasion, did an extra update, a scan, then reverted the computer to an earlier time, did another update and full scan. It seemed cleaned out. Within a week had another "worm" invasion which shut down pretty much everything including my wireless internet program. McAffee scans would claim that the computer was clean and all OK while almost everything was locked up and non functioning. I have 4 electronicaly connectable financial accounts and went to a teller machine with the cards for them. Found that none of them had been compromized. Probably because the "worm" had shut down the wireless internet program along with everything else. Anyhow I took the safest route by going to Best Buy and getting me another computer and making sure there was NO virus protection built in and purchasing Norton to load in myself. Having lost lots of data some years ago when a hard drive went west on me I have made it a practice to do back ups on CDrom disks every two weeks. Both of document files and of any recently added pictures . . of the usual, GUNS, steam trains, western history stuff, etc. So I probably only lost a few photos take at the ranch that week.

That's the problem with these new toys...If your life is on them and NO back-up you up the creek...Coming from a film photography back ground I have never been crazy with digital pictures...With more and more of our life is on computers, even our personnel things...We can loose so much of our life, kinda like having a house fire...They say back-up your things but how many places do we back-up to...How many of us carry our back-up on a disk or flash drive when we leave the house...Its getting to the point of back-up gun, keys (if you loose them), computer back-up and maybe we need the back-up wife too...Where will it stop...

Texas Lizard

I've went to using AVG free virus protection, along with Spy-bot. I haven't had any intrusions they couldn't handle. They take up way less disc space and memory than either Norton or McAffee, and do what I need.

I've went to using AVG free virus protection, along with Spy-bot. I haven't had any intrusions they couldn't handle. They take up way less disc space and memory than either Norton or McAffee, and do what I need.

+1 on AVG Free and SpyBot Search & Destroy!

I am pretty careful where I go on the internet and don't click on emails from folks I don't recognize....don't go looking at stuff that my Momma wouldn't want me looking at and so far I have not had any problems. Of course my wife has her own login on the computer and her account does not have administrator rights.....so she can't install something on the computer without having me to look at it and then put it on if I think its safe. She moans and groans about it but in the end she'll admit that its better then the alternative.

I have an portable external 500 GB usb backup drive that works by plugging two USB cables into the computer and one into the backup drive. This makes it handy to back up all of the computers we have. I also have our house wired for a computer network and everything talks to everything else in the house. I have written batch files that gather all of the data files up from all of the computers and then copy it to a single 2TB drive that I keep on one of the computer as just backup This solutions works well for us. The batch files run once a week and we have been able to recover from any hardware problem we have encountered with either no or very minimal loss of data.

Archived