SASS Wire Forum

Good News from N. Korea?

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/18/world/asia/kim-jong-il-obit/index.html

North Korea's longtime leader Kim Jong Il, the embodiment of the reclusive state where his cult of personality is deeply entrenched, has died, state TV reported.

He was believed to be 69.

Be interesting to see what replaces him.

He has groomed his son to take his place. The son is another rotten despot who can probably be expected carry on in his father's endeavor if he is allowed to step into the leadership position. :angry:

Actually probably not. My son has served one tour in South Korea and headed for a second tour in a few months has told me that North Korea is very closely watched and a overwhelming military response is planned if North Korea did anything.

I wish I knew how he had his information but everything he does in the Army is Top Secret. So secret I sometimes wonder if he is really in the Army.

It's going to depend on the son who was picked to replace him and whether he chooses to take military action to prove his authority and power and if the military and other senior politicians will accept his rule.

We could see a civil war or internal power struggle, that might even be a good thing if someone moderate (by North Korean standards) takes over.

We could see an attack on South Korea and while S. Korea and the US will undoubtedly win, the loss of life in the initial days will be heavy.

It seems probable that the son is an even bigger SOB then his father was, he certainly looks like a vicious bastard in the photo.

It's going to depend on the son who was picked to replace him and whether he chooses to take military action to prove his authority and power and if the military and other senior politicians will accept his rule.

We could see a civil war or internal power struggle, that might even be a good thing if someone moderate (by North Korean standards) takes over.

We could see an attack on South Korea and while S. Korea and the US will undoubtedly win, the loss of life in the initial days will be heavy.

It seems probable that the son is an even bigger SOB then his father was, he certainly looks like a vicious bastard in the photo.

That is a pretty good outlook on the situation.

That is a pretty good outlook on the situation.

Thanks. Something I forgot to mention is let's hope the son and the other senior political and military leaders don't actually believe the propaganda that is broadcast to the rest of the world. If they do believe it, then there is going to be a war, probably no later then February, to take advantage of their perceived historical advantages in the Korean winter and before the son's power base starts to crumble.

(And I really hope I am wrong)

Remember how nuts Saddam Hussein was?

Remember how his boys were even worse?

NUKE UM'

That's what MacArthur wanted to do when Harry Truman fired him. Apparently Mac got a little mouthy and Harry showed him who was boss.

Had a whole bunch (thousands) of Chinese and N. Koreans in a dish shaped assembly area. A little tactical nuke would have solved a lot of problems.

He has groomed his son to take his place. The son is another rotten despot who can probably be expected carry on in his father's endeavor if he is allowed to step into the leadership position. :angry:

Looks to be so...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/19/us-korea-north-idUSTRE7BI05B20111219

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah...and I remember how they all ended up.

We can only hope! :lol:

Let's just hope Jr. doesn't try to prove himself and do something stupid. That could be a very ugly war.

He might have already have done so. Reports are that he was the one responsible for the torpedoing of the S. Korean warship awhile back.

From the Reuters article:

Security concerns over the hermit state, that in 2010 shelled civilians on a South Korean island and is blamed for the sinking of one of its warships earlier that year, were heightened after Seoul said the North had test-fired a short range missile prior to the announcement of Kim's death.

It was the first known launch since June and in a bid to calm tensions, South Korea's defense ministry said it might abandon plans to light Christmas trees on the border, something the North has warned could provoke retaliations.

Dang...! :huh:

Them clowns would start a war over Christmas trees...??? :blink:

Yes, but do we remember what it took to get rid of them? I earnestly hope the "Great Successor" can be contained without having to invade the country.

I feel bad for countries, like North Korea, who are ruled by nut jobs who dress like Elvis while their people starve. But I am tired of being the world's playground monitor getting rid of all the bullies and making people play nice.

Yes, but do we remember what it took to get rid of them? I earnestly hope the "Great Successor" can be contained without having to invade the country.

I feel bad for countries, like North Korea, who are ruled by nut jobs who dress like Elvis while their people starve. But I am tired of being the world's playground monitor getting rid of all the bullies and making people play nice.

One can only hope! ;)

Jr. is even more dangerous than his mentally unbalanced father.

The more correct question is what will China do? China saved North Korea once but given China's rise as a world economic power will they feel backing North Korea is worth the costs?

P.S. MacArthur was a idiot.

The more correct question is what will China do? China saved North Korea once but given China's rise as a world economic power will they feel backing North Korea is worth the costs?

That's what the idiots thought ;)

I doubt China would much appreciate a nuclear fire on their back porch.

My guess is that President Hu has already sent official condolences, and at the same time let it be known they will not tolerate any nonsense.

MacArthur might have been an egomaniac, but he was no idiot.

Like all military men, he knew that war was too important a business to be left to meddling amateur politicians.

You either win big, or the diplomatic solutions drag out forever and accomplish nothing.

Then you eventually have to go back and settle the issue once and for all anyway.

If you want to see a real idiot, that would be General Wesley Clark.

That boob damn near started WWIII when he got PO'd when the Russians occupied Pristina Airport in Serbia back in 2000 during the Kosovo War.

No. MacArthur was an idiot or if you prefer a nincompoop. He should have been court-court martialed three times for his blunders.

The first time was in 1932 when MacArthur disobeyed President Hoover’s intentions and possibly his explicit instructions by his heavy handed tactics when dealing with the Bonus Army in Washington, D.C. Hoover took the blame which probably cost him his reelection.

The second is his lack of response to prepare for the Japanese attack on the Philipines even though he had a full 24 hours warning after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He lost half of his air force in the first Jap attack.

The third time was ignoring his own troops reports from the field, repeated warnings from China and intelligence that China was massing troops during the invasion of North Korea. His blunder has set the stage in Korea ever since.

MacArthurs island campaign in WWII was also called for taking more islands and more costly in the lives of troops. How he stayed in command is beyond me.

Appears the moneky really was "Ill"

Momar Down, Kim Down, just need Hugo, Makmoud, Fidel, Vladimir and maybe another one or two

Appears the moneky really was "Ill"

Momar Down, Kim Down, just need Hugo, Makmoud, Fidel, Vladimir and maybe another one or two

Good thoughts , Dusty , but they seem to be like weeds. Get a bunch eradicated , another bunch sprouts just as noxious as the last ones.

Trying times we live in. Rex :ph34r:

I was stationed there for a while. The South Koreans and the USFK are always wound tight. The motto is be prepared to "fight tonight". There is some interesting mythology surrounding the leader. They Deified Ill's father and then him and the leader was so popular with the people and the party that he held sway with the military. There are also some very old, very hard nosed communists in the military and other branches of the government. The big question will be, will Junior have the same influence over the military and will he be a nutjob? He understands the West and was educated in the West in cognito. He might be a voice of reason but if the military or the party won't submit to his will things could get ugly. If he is a nutjob and the military and the party does submit to his will it could get ugly. I think he's a moderate but that remains to be seen. In any event the S. Korean Peninsula is a powder keg right now and nobody better light a cigar. It is ironic that the South does so well economically and the North is so poor-and both sides want to see the country re-unified. The only thing standing in the way is the Communist ideology. We live in interesting times. :FlagAm:

Archived