SASS Wire Forum

Dillon case cleaners

GPG

Does anyone know if a person can buy a replacement motor for the CV-500 through an electric motor parts house? I am sure that there is no warranty left on mine.

Gordy

This is the one time I was extremely disappointed in Dillon. I had a CV-500 and the motor died after 2 1/2 years. I called, and the agent I talked to said the motor they procured from Mexico, I believe, did not work well and they changed to a different motor. The new motor is not interchangeable with the old and requires the whole unit be reworked. They would replace the motor for $105. It was past the 1 year warranty.

Needless to say, after all my good experience with Dillon, this stunk. I'm an retired engineer who worked with this type of equipment all of my life, and I expect motors like this to go 10 years in this kind of service and to be replaceable. It basically is a bathroom fan motor, and is used even less.

I gave up talking and sending e-mails. As much as it pained me, I gave up and spent $60 on a Harbor Freight vibrating cleaner which is working fine. I don't mind paying premium prices to support a good company, but don't expect poor results. If I have to replace it every 3 years, I'll go the Harbor Freight route.

Buffalo Slim

Mine has given up after about 10 years of use and probably 200,000+ pieces of brass through it. I am interested to see what others say. That Harbor Freight for $60 sounds pretty good right now.

Dillon doesn't carry the replacement motor anymore. Mine went out last year, searched online for a new motor, no such luck, mine was 4 or 5 years old when it went south. Called Dillon, they said it would be $105 to replace the motor and the base, they use the 750 bottom end and motor, with shipping there, I could buy the 750, that is what the Dillon guy said, most just buy the 750 instead of upgrading the 500.

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. And if anyone has a place for the same motor, please let us know, I checked Graingers and a few other places here in town with no luck

I will let you know what I find out as I have left an email for the folks at Dillon and will take my motor off and check a few places one was going to be grainger but it sounds like JD has already checked. If I find a fix I will let you folks know. One would think it is a fairly inexpensive part if you find the right supplier?

GPG

I have been through a lot of tumblers in the past 14 years. I run as many as 4 every day for 3 hours. I currently have one Lymam Turbo Twin and two Harbor Freight tumblers.

I like the Turbo Twins and watch for sales. When they are for two for the price of one or half off second one I buy two.

The Harbor Freight tumblers run a little faster and agitate the brass more for a brighter finish. What I do not like about the Harbor Freight tumblers is the way the bowl attached to the machine. You have to pick up the complete machine to dump the brass and media. The Turbo Twins, the bowl comes off by itself. Turbo Twin comes with a standard size bowl and a small 200 pieces of 357 brass bowl. I have several sitting in the shop because I have never used the small bowels.

My separator is big enough to dump two tumblers in at the same time. So the bowl not coming off is just an annoyance. The two I have now have been in operation for 3 or 4 years so far. Oh and all the bolts and nuts are metric. Finding a wing nut to hold the top on took two trips to the hardware store to get it right. Now I know.

Archived